Which minor leaguers would you be ok trading?

DocJJ

Depending on Coulombe's injury, we may need 2 or even 3 relievers- and good ones...  

I'd keep:

Holliday, Basallo, Mayo, and Kjerstad.

I'd be ok trading:

Norby, Beavers, Bradfield, and anyone else...

Thoughts?

as long as they dont move Hjerstad or Mayo....or Holliday...I could see anyone else...Im beginning to think Norby is gonna be a good one too...like Joey Ortiz...whatever trade we make we need a couple of years (at least) of control)..thats gonna be a bullpen arm or starter or both...but they MUST be under control...

Holliday, Basallo, absolutely not trading unless it was a crazy prospect for prospect deal which never happens.

Mayo crying, and better get us back someone elite.

Edited by Hallas

Just now, OriolesMagic83 said:

I would be ok trading anyone but Holliday, Mayo and Basallo.  If the O's trade Kjerstad, they need to bring back someone with multiple years of control.

This is my line of thinking. I would also lean towards De Leon as well just based off his K and GB rates. Really though, I don’t see trading anyone outside the top 3 prospects as going “all in”.

Elias doesn’t need to go “all in”, but he should be willing to trade some good prospects to upgrade the roster. They can legitimately win the World Series this year. They should be really good for years to come, but with injuries/performance fluctuations, you just never know what year is going to be “the year”. This could be the best combined production they get from Gunnar and Adley, or the only year they have Burnes for example. 

10 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I would be ok trading anyone but Holliday, Mayo and Basallo.  If the O's trade Kjerstad, they need to bring back someone with multiple years of control.

This is where I am as well.  

I think the O's have been showcasing Stowers, Norby and maybe even Povich in recent weeks.  I think all three have boosted their trade value.  

Depends on the return. Not that it would ever happen, but would anybody here turn down a proposed Holliday for Skenes trade? I wouldn't. But realistically, considering the players likely to be available, I'd want to hold on to the big three of Holliday, Basallo, and Mayo because I doubt we'll be offered anything like their total value coming back. 

6 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

This is my line of thinking. I would also lean towards De Leon as well just based off his K and GB rates. Really though, I don’t see trading anyone outside the top 3 prospects as going “all in”.

Elias doesn’t need to go “all in”, but he should be willing to trade some good prospects to upgrade the roster. They can legitimately win the World Series this year. They should be really good for years to come, but with injuries/performance fluctuations, you just never know what year is going to be “the year”. This could be the best combined production they get from Gunnar and Adley, or the only year they have Burnes for example. 

The talking head on ESPN and other sports outlets are always talking about mega trades where top teams trade away the farm.  That would put the O's in a San Diego type situation with way less payroll, effectively putting an end to the O's competitive window in the near future.  San Diego is a .500 team right now with a much higher payroll than the O's. 

Just now, OriolesMagic83 said:

The talking head on ESPN and other sports outlets are always talking about mega trades where top teams trade away the farm.  That would put the O's in a San Diego type situation with way less payroll, effectively putting an end to the O's competitive window in the near future.  San Diego is a .500 team right now with a much higher payroll than the O's. 

Yeah the Orioles don’t need a mega trade. They should be able to add multiple pieces  without trading one of their top 3 prospects. Their 4th best prospect (Kjerstad) could very well be one of the best prospects available at the TDL if they are open to dealing him. 

• Upvote 1

What am I getting?

That's the only real answer to the question.

It's easy to say they won't trade any of the top 4, but if they could get MIller with a package centered around Kjerstad, they'd almost certainly do it.

It's very likely they won't trade any of the top 4.

I agree with @Three Run Homer, I think they've been showcasing Norby and Stowers because that's the level of prospect they're willing to part with.

6 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

There is no plausible way for the Orioles to end up in a "San Diego type situation". We don't have an aging roster filled with declining players that we acquired through FA.

We have ascending young stars (one of which is MVP caliber at age 22). 

If we make a trade for big time talent (like we did for Burnes), it will not involve us "trading away the farm". One or 2 prospects is not "the farm".

6 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

There is no plausible way for the Orioles to end up in a "San Diego type situation". We don't have an aging roster filled with declining players that we acquired through FA.

If we make a trade for big time talent (like we did for Burnes), it will not involve us "trading away the farm". One or 2 prospects is not "the farm".

If the O's made a Soto type trade, it would severely deplete the farm.  A team like the Dodgers or Yankees can fill in a bunch of holes with expensive free agents, the O's can't.  I'm not talking about ending our window next year, but maybe could put us in a situation where our farm is depleted in 3 or 4 years.  This is what the "experts" call trying to win.  I think Elias is way too smart for that.

12 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

One of the trades proposed last year was Holliday + More Prospects! for an Ohtani rental at the deadline.  This is why these experts are on TV and podcasts instead of running baseball organizations.

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

One of the trades proposed last year was Holliday + More Prospects! for an Ohtani rental at the deadline.  This is why these experts are on TV and podcasts instead of running baseball organizations.

That would not have been a good trade. But that would not have nuked our future to lose Holliday. And this is coming from someone who absolutely believes in and loves the kid's talent.

I just don't believe in this fear mongering mentality about us "trading away the farm" because we try to improve our team (in a realistic/reasonable way) for 2024. We don't need to keep every single one of our talented young players. After all, we are just about out of places to put them all, without coming up with crazy notions like moving Holliday to CF.