What are you expecting, or what would you be pleased with for Cade Povich tonight.

6 minutes ago, DocJJ said:

Some of it was good stuff and command of the curve...  a lot of it was a feeble Braves lineup...   He threw a fair number of pitches that good hitting teams would have creamed...

Still, you have to love tonight's gutsy effort...

To be fair, even the almighty Corbin Burns throws a few meatballs a game that should be crushed.  But pitchers that keep hitters off balance can get away with that, sometimes that meatball is such a surprise that they can't hit it.  Povich did really well at mixing things up and keeping them off balance.  Hats off to the ROOKIE.

With that said, Akin has to go.

Edited by yark14

4 minutes ago, yark14 said:

To be fair, even the almighty Corbin Burns throws a few meatballs a game that should be crushed.  But pitchers that keep hitters off balance can get away with that, sometimes that meatball is such a surprise that they can't hit it.  Povich did really well at mixing things up and keeping them off balance.  Hats off to the ROOKIE.

Go Where?

5 minutes ago, yark14 said:

If Povich throws the exact same first inning pitches against the Yankees, I suspect it’s not  a 4-2 game. But that’s neither here nor there. 

1 hour ago, yark14 said:

I don't trust Baker either.

I know its just his second start, but the difference in command and poise(understandably) was night and day from his debut.I also know that the Braves are really scuffling offensively, but they are still all major league level hitters and he had the hitters off balance all night...he changed speeds, mixed his curve and cutter and an occasional fastball and just kept throwing strikes. It was an eye opener.I think we've got something here. Once again, Elias may have found another gem....what a performance tonight...

5 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I know its just his second start, but the difference in command and poise(understandably) was night and day from his debut.I also know that the Braves are really scuffling offensively, but they are still all major league level hitters and he had the hitters off balance all night...he changed speeds, mixed his curve and cutter and an occasional fastball and just kept throwing strikes. It was an eye opener.I think we've got something here. Once again, Elias may have found another gem....what a performance tonight...

They mentioned something in the broadcast last night about the Braves being unable to hit curveballs as a team this year. Povich was the perfect storm tonight, he was able to throw it for strikes and they are just an awful team at hitting them. I wouldn't put too much faith in either of his starts as far as trying to project him being a starter in a pennant race, but he got it done tonight and it was fun to watch.

4 minutes ago, Malike said:

They mentioned something in the broadcast last night about the Braves being unable to hit curveballs as a team this year. Povich was the perfect storm tonight, he was able to throw it for strikes and they are just an awful team at hitting them. I wouldn't put too much faith in either of his starts as far as trying to project him being a starter in a pennant race, but he got it done tonight and it was fun to watch.

What a levelheaded take. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, Malike said:

Good news for Irvin today as well. 

10 hours ago, emmett16 said:

He lives and dies with that pitch.  When it’s on, he’s darn tough to hit.  When it’s not he struggles, but can compete with his other offerings.  

This about sums it up.  He's an MLB pitcher for sure.  Landing the CB consistently moves him up the food chain.