adamwolff11

Roberts' OPS by month:

April: .876

May: .821

June: .779

July: .742

August: .737

September: .698

Maybe if he'd go at 110% on every play from opening day on, treating the whole season like a sprint, he could change that to:

April: .925

May: .850

June: .775

July: .700

August: .675

September: .650

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Roberts' OPS by month:

April: .876

May: .821

June: .779

July: .742

August: .737

September: .698

Maybe if he'd go at 110% on every play from opening day on, treating the whole season like a sprint, he could change that to:

April: .925

May: .850

June: .775

July: .700

August: .675

September: .650

Both sets of numbers track Hope for the team having a decent season...

Okay, I've got my reservations about doing this but in honor of the spirit for which this thread was started, I'll state the following.....

I like Brian and as I have already stated, there can be a number of reasons for a players struggles late in games (I mentioned before that he doesnt seem to do well against high fastballs, which are often thrown later in a game, ect.). However, this stat I am surprized to say, I havent yet seen in this loooong thread! I was expecting it 6 pages ago....

BRob has the most ab in the O's late innings of close games (18). I assume that means innings 7, 8, 9. Know what his average is?

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/stats/sortable_player_stats.jsp?c_id=bal&baseballScope=MLA&teamPosCode=all&statType=1&timeSubFrame=2009&sitSplit=lc&venueID=&Submit=Submit&timeFrame=1

However,

Last season, he had the fourth best average in late inning close games (of those players that had at least double digit chances. Roberts had 48 chances.)

.318 average. .485 slugging.

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/stats/historical/player_stats.jsp?teamPosCode=all&statType=1&timeFrame=1&Submit=Submit&c_id=bal&sitSplit=lc&venueID=&baseballScope=MLA&timeSubFrame=2008&&sortByStat=AVG

Know what I think?

I think this coach doesnt know what he's talking about. That in no way is the sign of a quitter at the plate, and I certainly don't buy it in the field.

The OPS by month is pretty telling, as Roberts fades, so does the Orioles. But I believe that we have enough firepower in the lineup to make up the difference now. Maybe they should swap someone else into the leadoff spot towards the end of the season, or god firbid, he's rested every now and then.

By the way, I wonder how many neg reps have been doled out by Cindy from this thread alone. ;)

I'll see you're nickel and raise you a dime.

Alright...alright...enough of the nickel and dime stuff...

Elsid...you got two beers waiting for you from Fan and I if you tell us what you think about this thread about Roberts' perceived lack of hustle.

:beerchug1:

Digging a little deeper here, Magadan has been Boston's hitting coach since 2007. Before that, he was in the Padres organization for a long time and would have had minimal knowledge of BRob.

In the time Magadan has been with Boston, the O's are 12-28 vs. the Red Sox and have been outscored 260-181. That's an average score of 6.5 - 4.5

Although I posted earlier that BRob historically has been very bad vs. Boston, that hasn't been true in the time Magadan has been in Boston.

2007 - .250/.325/.403

2008 - .286/.375/.429

2009 - .313/.389/.438

I'd love to do a game-by-game analysis of what BRob did and when in those 40 games, but life's too short.

So far in this Mets series BROB is 0-11 with no walks. His OBP coming into tonight's game was .354. Cora, leading off for the Mets, has been on base with 4 hits and a walk in the first two games. His OBP is .374. Reimold, as another thread mentioned, must have a half dozen infield hits so far in his brief time in Baltimore. It seems like it should be the other way with Roberts getting the infield hits instead. In tonights game Roberts grounded out and walked off the field after he got to first base. Even Adam Jones runs back to the dugout after making an out. I mentioned earlier this season that he loves to take his helmet off after an out and likes to walk off the field back to the dugout. He wants the ladies to get a good look at him. He hasn't been doing that as much lately but he still walks off the field. Watch the other players. They all run back to the dugput after an out. Okay...Huff with his sore leg walks off as well. Why can't BROB run off the field or even jog off the field? If he is doing too much weight lifting and he is burning out this early in the season he should cut back on the body building. He is not performing like a leadoff hitter. It would be nice to see him try to bunt once in awhile and beat out an infield hit.

The OPS by month is pretty telling, as Roberts fades, so does the Orioles. But I believe that we have enough firepower in the lineup to make up the difference now. Maybe they should swap someone else into the leadoff spot towards the end of the season, or god firbid, he's rested every now and then.

By the way, I wonder how many neg reps have been doled out by Cindy from this thread alone. ;)

0 and I do not find that funny:rolleyestf:

I just hope My Perfect One:hearts:never read this thread!:(

I think he would be hurt!:002_scry:

There was just a play that B Rob could have made interesting but didn't. Ground ball to the left of the second baseman, and a bit of confusion between the first baseman and pitcher as to who was going to cover. Probably a bang bang play if Roberts isn't crawling down the first base line. Who knows what would have happened, but it's disheartening. He has played a great second thus far in the game, though.

It's very nice to see B Rob bunt. Just the other day when he was on with Anita and Scott they asked him about bunting, as in, why it's not part of his game. He was definitely doing the team move, and it's the things like that that you need to win games.

Archived