Good chance we might be dropping down the draft board

ChaosLex

Luckily, it's a really deep draft and we should still be able to pick up a potential ace (Jungmann?) or other great talent with the 4th pick.

There's no way we get Jungmann now and that's the problem with winning an extra game or two down the stretch. Why can't we take a page out of AZ's playbook just once and stop playing all of our vets down the stretch? If you're as far out of it as we are, it's really time to start the next spring training. Play all of the kids that you can and you either win or get a better draft slot.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's no way we get Jungmann now and that's the problem with winning an extra game or two down the stretch. Why can't we take a page out of AZ's playbook just once and stop playing all of our vets down the stretch? If you're as far out of it as we are, it's really time to start the next spring training. Play all of the kids that you can and you either win or get a better draft slot.

Why couldn't we get Jungmann? Assuming there isn't any change in prospect status before next year's draft (which is, of course, ridiculous), Jungmann would be going 4th on a lot of people's boards. Rendon/Cole/Purke/Jungmann is the ranking I've been seeing from most analysts, with some preferring Purke's polish to Cole's upside.

Why couldn't we get Jungmann? Assuming there isn't any change in prospect status before next year's draft (which is, of course, ridiculous), Jungmann would be going 4th on a lot of people's boards. Rendon/Cole/Purke/Jungmann is the ranking I've been seeing from most analysts, with some preferring Purke's polish to Cole's upside.

Where the Orioles are sitting right now, I'd like to see them take the more polished Purke.

This is a crazy sentiment. There is no way to know who will be available at #4 at this point. There simply isn't enough separating the top talents to make any definitive statements. Further, we won't hear whispers of signing demands until mid-spring.

Where the Orioles are sitting right now, I'd like to see them take the more polished Purke.

+1 I'd like to see them take Purke as well. After seeing him pitch in Omaha at the CWS, he is quite impressive. A LHP with that kind of stuff is a rare commodity. If he is available, you have to take him.

Obviously a lot can change between now and draft day, but if the draft were tomorrow (and they miraculously fell to us) I'd prefer Purke over Cole as well. Perhaps I'm gun shy from Wieters' slow development and Hobgood's marginal improvements, but I'll gladly take polish over upside at this point.

Obviously a lot can change between now and draft day, but if the draft were tomorrow (and they miraculously fell to us) I'd prefer Purke over Cole as well. Perhaps I'm gun shy from Wieters' slow development and Hobgood's marginal improvements, but I'll gladly take polish over upside at this point.

Yeah, I mean, there's still a lot that needs to be done with improving the development system. That's the other plot line I'll like to follow this offseason: the changes to coaches and instructors throughout the farm and the major league club.

The O's need to try and hire away some of the guys employed by the Twins. Talk about an efficient development system.

First of all, my bad. I completely was off base because my sentiment was 'there's now way we get Cole at #4', and Cole hadn't been mentioned. Also I acknowledge that there's way too much that can happen between now and then to know anything.

My bad all the way around.

If he is such a good prospect, why didn't Jordan draft him instead of Hobgood?

Perhaps because he thought (correctly as it turns out) that he wouldn't sign for less than the 7.5 million he demanded before the draft, and he valued him at a lower price than that.

Perhaps because he thought (correctly as it turns out) that he wouldn't sign for less than the 7.5 million he demanded before the draft, and he valued him at a lower price than that.

My understanding of that situation is that both TEX and Purke wanted the deal done, but MLB ended-up getting in the way.

My understanding of that situation is that both TEX and Purke wanted the deal done, but MLB ended-up getting in the way.

I seem to recall reading is that Purke was considering an offer for $6 Million when MLB pulled the offer. Either way, I think the $6 Million still represented a hometown discount for the Rangers. Perhaps it would have been closer to $7.5 for the O's.

I seem to recall reading is that Purke was considering an offer for $6 Million when MLB pulled the offer. Either way, I think the $6 Million still represented a hometown discount for the Rangers. Perhaps it would have been closer to $7.5 for the O's.

I believe that was the reported story, yeah. I do know with almost 100% certainty that Purke did no plan to attend TCU, though he is thrilled to be there right now.

Archived