Orioles at least scouting Darvish

VeveJones007

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went to the Seibu Dome tonight before the Nippon Ham vs Seibu Lions game. If Seibu wins and Orix Buffaloes lose, the Lions make the post season. I think Seibu was pretty happy about the Fighters sitting Darvish. Said hi to Darvish and finished with "Orioles... please, please, please." He laughed as one of the Americans yelled out "you don't want to go there." He was kidding of course, but sad.

My colleague told me that he read online, in Japanese, that Rangers, Orioles, Yankees, Angels and Blue Jays were interested. DOn't know if that means scouted or contacted or what. No idea.

Well since the Yankees are interested, perhaps its a waste of time to talk about him possibly coming to Baltimore. :/

I'm guessing it just means known to have scouted. I'm not sure if tampering rules come into play, but they prob cannot speak to him or the club until after playoffs. just guessing

But as I try to put myself in his shoes I see absolutely no reason for him to come to the Orioles. We would have to drastically over-bid. Since the Yankees are desperate for pitching, I think there is no way we can compete with them. I really hope I am wrong.

But as I try to put myself in his shoes I see absolutely no reason for him to come to the Orioles. We would have to drastically over-bid. Since the Yankees are desperate for pitching, I think there is no way we can compete with them. I really hope I am wrong.
He has little choice if the O's win the bid.The Yankee's could go in many directions for SP. If I werte them I'd offer Montero and one of Betances/Buneulos for Sheilds

If the O's win the post then he will have two choices, come pitch for the O's or go back to Japan.

That being said I will be shocked if the O's even bother to tend a bid.

If the O's win the post then he will have two choices, come pitch for the O's or go back to Japan.

The posting process is a little confusing, but I believe the team and player communicate around the bid. The team probably wouldn't accept the bid if they thought the player was unlikely to sign. The money would be huge for a Japanese club and I think they would do their best to make it work. Again, I don't know exactly how it works, so I might be wrong. I spoke to a scout about it and this is what I got out of it, but again, I definitely could be way off. SOrry if I am

Yea I had a temporary moment of ignorance as far as winning the post. The problem is, I don't think the Yankees would allow anyone to outbid them. In dream world, Darvish-Koji-Johnson would be a nice combination for an opening day win. :)

Yea I had a temporary moment of ignorance as far as winning the post. The problem is, I don't think the Yankees would allow anyone to outbid them. In dream world, Darvish-Koji-Johnson would be a nice combination for an opening day win. :)

It is hard to tell, the Yankees let the Sox overbid them for Dice-K, who was every bit as hyped as Darvish is. From what I have read the Rangers are viewed as the favorite to win the posting.

Of course someone who has a huge amount of personal wealth, like the Nats owner, could just step up and do something big.

Of course someone who has a huge amount of personal wealth, like the Nats owner, could just step up and do something big.

I was thinking this as well. The Nats would have an immense upside with Strasburg, Darvish, Zimmerman, Zimmerman, Werth, Harper and Rendon, with a nice compliment of others.

If I were the Nats, I'd definitely do this rather than going after Fielder.

I was thinking this as well. The Nats would have an immense upside with Strasburg, Darvish, Zimmerman, Zimmerman, Werth, Harper and Rendon, with a nice compliment of others.

Don't forget Purke who they spent 4.4 million on.

With some luck the Nationals could be very good very quickly.

It's a sealed bid process so the Yankees wouldn't know they were being outbid until the bidding is over. It's an opportunity to sneak one by them with a surprisingly large posting fee.

I agree

Michael Morse had a heck of a year and they still have LaRoche. Fielder would be too much, Imo.

Archived