What O's HOF (provided they were in their prime) would you add to the current roster?

ChaosLex

What O's HOF would you add to the current roster?  

134 members have voted

1. 1. What O's HOF would you add to the current roster?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I voted for Palmer because I think we need an ace more than anything. If I thought we needed the MOO bat more, I would pick Frank's 100 career oWAR over Cal's 72. If we needed a SS I would pick Cal, though I I'n not fond of people who dis Brooks Robinson.

Nifty but it still doesn't reflect Peak value. Cal the shortstop was a lot more valuable then Cal the third baseman.

Imagine sports performance is based on peak years:

Player Performance

What do you mean when you say that player performance takes into account both the career and peak performance from players? real-life careers?

For position players with less than 6,000 plate appearances and pitchers with less than 500 ?points? during their careers, their projected performance is based on their entire careers. (Pitchers are credited with one point for a relief appearance and two points for a start.) For players and pitchers who exceeded those totals, their projected performance is based on their best series of consecutive seasons comprising approximately 6,000 PA for hitters and 500 points for pitchers.

Frank Robinson is not only in the Hall. He is among the top dozen ball players who ever played the game. The right answer to the poll is obvious.

BTW, why doesn't the list include former Baltimore Oriole and Hall of Famer Wee Willie Keeler? Is it just about who owns the franchise or is it about the city and our team? If it's about the franchise then we should all be pleased as punch about the accomplishments of the Colts in Indianapolis.

Pitching and defense win games. Palmer in his prime he pitched 300 inning a year and won gold gloves in the field. If he could give you a season like he had in 1975 I think you would be in pretty good shape 10 shutouts 323 innings pitch.. 2.09 era.

Imagine sports performance is based on peak years:

Player Performance

What do you mean when you say that player performance takes into account both the career and peak performance from players? real-life careers?

For position players with less than 6,000 plate appearances and pitchers with less than 500 ?points? during their careers, their projected performance is based on their entire careers. (Pitchers are credited with one point for a relief appearance and two points for a start.) For players and pitchers who exceeded those totals, their projected performance is based on their best series of consecutive seasons comprising approximately 6,000 PA for hitters and 500 points for pitchers.

In Cal's best years, he was better than Frank ever was. Over the course of their careers, Frank was the better player.

I can't make it any simpler than that.

See, I'm not there. Does Albert switch hit? Will he get to 3000?

I don't think switch hitting matters. If Albert plays as long as Eddie, he'll easily get to 3,000.

Pujols' career OPS+ is 168. Eddie's career high is 159. Pujols is on pace to be one of the greatest hitters of all time. Eddie was very good, but not quite in the same class as Albert, IMO.

I don't think switch hitting matters. If Albert plays as long as Eddie, he'll easily get to 3,000.

Pujols' career OPS+ is 168. Eddie's career high is 159. Pujols is on pace to be one of the greatest hitters of all time. Eddie was very good, but not quite in the same class as Albert, IMO.

Pujols is clearly better but...

192/189/173/148/141

Albert needs 754 H to reach 300. That's 94 H per year if he pays til 40. He has currently accumulated 75 oWAR. Eddie for his entire carrier only accumulated 56. Albert will probably pass Eddie for HR this season.

Pujols is clearly better but...

192/189/173/148/141

Yeah, he's declining and it will be interesting to watch the next couple of years. Of course, Eddie declined quickly too.

On another note. How did Cal finish 27th in MVP voting in '84? His OPS+ went up from 144 to 146. He still hit over .300, hit the same number of HR, but he did lose about 15 RBI that year. However, his rWAR was 9.8, compared to 8.0 in '83. He really should have 3 MVP awards. Also interesting is that after '91 with his 11.3 rWAR, he never reached 4 again.

Yeah, he's declining and it will be interesting to watch the next couple of years. Of course, Eddie declined quickly too.

On another note. How did Cal finish 27th in MVP voting in '84? His OPS+ went up from 144 to 146. He still hit over .300, hit the same number of HR, but he did lose about 15 RBI that year. However, his rWAR was 9.8, compared to 8.0 in '83. He really should have 3 MVP awards. Also interesting is that after '91 with his 11.3 rWAR, he never reached 4 again.

O's finished 5th in AL East.

Archived