Hardy Extension Announced Today

WarehouseChatter

Can someone explain deferred money? Does that just mean 6.5 gets paid over more years?

Yep. The extra $6.5 million will be paid at some later date. Perhaps a $2.166 million payment each year from 2020-2022. We will likely learn of the exact terms at a later date and can then calculate the true value of the contract based on that because of inflation. Most likely his agent wanted to be able to report a number that started with a 4 but the Orioles weren't willing to go that high on a 3 year deal, so this is a compromise. The present value depends on when the deferred money is owed but it is safe to assume the present value is closer to 3/38 or 3/36 than it is 3/40.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love ma' O's. Don't like this deal. I appreciate the warm gooey feelings of the playoffs but we're talking about a 32 year old shortstop who's homers have been cut by more than half and taking a walk has never been his game. It's impossible to predict how any player will age but history has not been kind to shortstops in their 30s.

It will be nice having him back next year but our payroll flexibility is going to be really handcuffed. Wish I could be optimistic.

Love ma' O's. Don't like this deal. I appreciate the warm gooey feelings of the playoffs but we're talking about a 32 year old shortstop who's homers have been cut by more than half and taking a walk has never been his game. It's impossible to predict how any player will age but history has not been kind to shortstops in their 30s.

It will be nice having him back next year but our payroll flexibility is going to be really handcuffed. Wish I could be optimistic.

I think he was playing hurt the first half and it killed his HR.

There is, I am sure, a payout schedule in place. The 6.5 might be accruing interest, it might not be. We will know more when the specifics are released.

What deferred money does is spread out the monetary risk to the team, and if it is without interest, lower the real value of the contract. The player gets a more impressive number and if the deferment is with interest, potentially more money in the long run.

Not sure how deferment interacts with the salary cap but obviously, that won't come into play here.

It also makes the amount cheaper for the team if they place the money in a nice account to draw interest. If it is deferred to say 2019 and the team puts 3-4 million into an account that is all it will actually cost them as the rest will just come from interest.

It also makes the amount cheaper for the team if they place the money in a nice account to draw interest. If it is deferred to say 2019 and the team puts 3-4 million into an account that is all it will actually cost them as the rest will just come from interest.

Depends on the terms. Maybe the player will be receiving interest on the money. Bonilla made a mint off his deferment with the Mets. We won't know until terms are released.

Just heard the news and didn't read the 10 pages of posts

I assume the message board is ecstatic that he got the extension

Of course I have been on record all year as stating that extending Hardy will be a big mistake and now IMO the O's have made the big mistake.

We shall see

Of course I have been on record all year as stating that extending Hardy will be a big mistake and now IMO the O's have made the big mistake.

We shall see

There is a chance it could be a mistake. But who would be your option at SS. Machado is unrealistic.

The deferred money makes me change my mind a bit. I don't love the deal and probably wouldn't have done it, but I don't think it's a big enough deal to hamstring the team at all. It's basically the 3/36ish deal I voted I would be ok with on a poll here. Now, a Cruz extension would be a totally different story...

We shall see

Getting rid of our most steady defensive performer of the last 4 years would be an even bigger mistake, given the identity of the team.

Gotta pay the man.

Although Hardy getting hurt i thought would hurt his chances of getting an extension but after watching how the team defense was the last 15 or so games at third and SS Buck might of went to Dan and said you see what happens if we don't have him next season.

Archived