Non-roster Invitees Announced

justD

Per Britt Ghiroli, the Orioles have announced their spring training non-roster invitee list:

Pitchers

• RHP Nate Adcock
  • LHP Jed Bradley
  • RHP Richard Rodriguez
  • RHP Zach Stewart

Catchers

• Yermin Mercedes
  • Audry Perez
  • Chance Cisco

Infielders

• Robert Andino
  • Johnny Giavotella

Outfielders

• Chris Dickerson
  • Logan Schafer
  • David Washington

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Sisco is one to watch to see how he looks.   I think there is ZERO chance he makes the team.

Barring a serious injury that's almost obvious. I think the big surprise will be going north with Pena and sending Caleb to Norfolk. If it drags out that long and we still can't get anything for Pena I think it happens. Lot of ifs.

7 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Barring a serious injury that's almost obvious. I think the big surprise will be going north with Pena and sending Caleb to Norfolk. If it drags out that long and we still can't get anything for Pena I think it happens. Lot of ifs.

That will surprise me.  Caleb is the guy the O's pitching staff is the most comfortable throwing to.   I see him staying.  Pena gets DFA'd just before opening day IMO.

19 minutes ago, wildcard said:

That will surprise me.  Caleb is the guy the O's pitching staff is the most comfortable throwing to.   I see him staying.  Pena gets DFA'd just before opening day IMO.

Was that his argument at the arbitration hearing? I don't think DD likes to be challenged. Wasn't it De Aza a couple years ago that went to arbitration (could be wrong)? He wasn't around too much longer. I wouldn't be surprised if he got a reminder and sent down to Norfolk for while. BTW, I like CJ, just thought he had some terrible advice. He certainly wasn't negotiating from a position of strength.

Just now, wildcard said:

I just get the feeling. He had the season that he did... they offered him 800k. They filed at 700 and him at a million. I get the feeling he pissed them off. just my opinion.

2 minutes ago, scOtt said:

I just get the feeling. He had the season that he did... they offered him 800k. They filed at 700 and him at a million. I get the feeling he pissed them off. just my opinion.

Plus I have a probably unrealistic idea of what Pena's value is, compared to just letting him go.

2 minutes ago, scOtt said:

I hope the front office is just smart and professional and they just went with valuation as their marker.  Nothing personal with Caleb.  He seems like a hard worker to me.  I loved that story about him buying a beater pickup truck just for travels in spring training.  Think he and his brother fixed it up?  Having said that, I would not be surprised to see Caleb in Norfolk. 

7 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I don't see them sending Caleb down and keeping Pena. 3 catchers in Norfolk, where 2 of them are nothing but warm bodies, would be dumb.

I think whoever does better between Andino and Giavotelli will be added to the 40 as a Paul Janish type. 

Same with outfield. 

I don't see the O's adding Anding or Giavotelli to the 40 man unless they are needed in the majors because someone gets injured.  They are both out of options so if they add them to the 40 man roster they have to pay them their major league salary.   Giavotelli's major level salary is 1.1m.   The O's are not paying that until they need him in the majors.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't see the O's adding Anding or Giavotelli to the 40 man unless they are needed in the majors because someone gets injured.  They are both out of options so if they add them to the 40 man roster they have to pay them their major league salary.   Giavotelli's major level salary is 1.1m.   The O's are not paying that until they need him in the majors.

This. These are the two that will try to get slipped thru waivers on March 30th when there are dozens of players available. Try to clear waivers but if you lose them, c'est la vie.

8 hours ago, UpstateNYfan said:

Was that his argument at the arbitration hearing? I don't think DD likes to be challenged. Wasn't it De Aza a couple years ago that went to arbitration (could be wrong)? He wasn't around too much longer. I wouldn't be surprised if he got a reminder and sent down to Norfolk for while. BTW, I like CJ, just thought he had some terrible advice. He certainly wasn't negotiating from a position of strength.

Agree completely.

12 hours ago, wildcard said:

The way Giavotelli's contract was written up, he's 100% injury insurance and nothing else. If the O's have a healthy spring, he'll be looking for a new employer on March 28.

Andino will probably wind up in Norfolk one way or another. Simply put, my man needs a job and doesn't really have room to say no.

Archived