Deadline Deal Orioles Mega-Thread

weams

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't see any value in letting him go in a straight salary dump.

He has gotten about $225k per ip and over $17.7 million per WAR since since we signed him to his current deal. There would be incredible value in dumping his salary.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, DirtyBird said:

He has gotten about $225k per ip and over $17.7 million per WAR since since we signed him to his current deal. There would be incredible value in dumping his salary.

Only if they would put the shed salary to use in a productive fashion.

33 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

I would want more major league ready guys for Britton.  I think Alvarez, Stewart and Oaks would make sense.  Oaks and Stewart are ready now and Alvarez is big upside guy.

Stewart would be a nice guy to get.  I overlooked him.  I rather a lower minors guy with some upside than Oaks though.  Oaks seems very ordinary.  

50 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

One other point that I don't recall seeing made, at least recently. As those who follow the team real closely may have noticed, our starters don't pitch deep into games. We still win some of those games -- and can win a lot of them, maybe, if our starters improve -- with a deep and good bullpen. If we deplete the bullpen, we may be OK with Givens closing and O'Day or Castro or Wright or Bleier setting up. But we'll be turning lots of games that are winnable over to AAA pitchers who will make many of them unwinnable. 

Our starters don't go deep because they're typically giving up walks, allowing base runners, and driving their pitch counts up. But we aren't really turning "a lot" of "winnable" dates over to the bullpen lately. Especially the Cubs series, we were turning over blow outs. And to be honest, I'd be ok with the bullpen losing some games - it means the starters and offense are doing well. 

29 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Stewart would be a nice guy to get.  I overlooked him.  I rather a lower minors guy with some upside than Oaks though.  Oaks seems very ordinary.  

Buelher, Stewart, and Keibert Ruiz would be my dream deal. I don't think there is much chance of that with Britton's injury concerns.

9 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

Buelher, Stewart, and Keibert Ruiz would be my dream deal. I don't think there is much chance of that with Britton's injury concerns.

You don't think we can get one top prospect, a potential mid rotation arm, and a solid catching prospect for an elite closer with control through next year?

1 minute ago, ISU94 said:

You don't think we can get one top prospect, a potential mid rotation arm, and a solid catching prospect for an elite closer with control through next year?

Two major league ready arms, and a catching prospect who might be a top 100 guy by the end of the season.  If the Dodgers feel great about Britton's health then maybe, I doubt they are that confident, if I was a Dodgers fan I wouldn't be.

2 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

Two major league ready arms, and a catching prospect who might be a top 100 guy by the end of the season.  If the Dodgers feel great about Britton's health then maybe, I doubt they are that confident, if I was a Dodgers fan I wouldn't be.

Why wouldn't they be? Britton was out for a little bit and his last outing he just had his highest FB velo this season and was touching 98. If they are that worried about his healthy they wouldn't consistently be linked to him imo. Not like we're just going to sell Britton low for the hell of it if we know he's healthy. If they are worried about it then IDK why they'd even be reportedly in on him as it's obvious we aren't just giving away one of the best 9th inning guys in the game.

But seriously, Buehler/Stewart/Ruiz for an elite closer with control past this season is not too much. Buehler is great but Stewart I don't think has ever touched top prospect lists and Ruiz could but if he does it's more so that he's a catcher than anything. I just don't love the value of catchers unless you think they are one of the elites like a Salvy/Posey type.

2 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

But seriously, Buehler/Stewart/Ruiz for an elite closer with control past this season is not too much. Buehler is great but Stewart I don't think has ever touched top prospect lists and Ruiz could but if he does it's more so that he's a catcher than anything. I just don't love the value of catchers unless you think they are one of the elites like a Salvy/Posey type.

I'd do that deal just to get Buehler and Stewart. Instant rotation makeover 

1 minute ago, ISU94 said:

Why wouldn't they be? Britton was out for a little bit and his last outing he just had his highest FB velo this season and was touching 98. If they are that worried about his healthy they wouldn't consistently be linked to him imo. Not like we're just going to sell Britton low for the hell of it if we know he's healthy. If they are worried about it then IDK why they'd even be reportedly in on him as it's obvious we aren't just giving away one of the best 9th inning guys in the game.

I understand that point of view and I hope you are right.  I'm just concerned that they look at Britton's price tag (if we ask for what I'm suggesting or other big potential returns listed here) and say "well we can get X player for less and he's almost as good".

Just now, Lucky_13 said:

Well looks like they aren't getting Justin Wilson then. What else do they even have to offer?

Kieboom is good enough to be the centerpiece for Wilson.

Archived