Akin promoted, Mullins optioned

MurphDogg

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

Akin has been a much more highly regarded prospect that John Means ever was.    So yep, I do give a $#%&.    We'll see if he has any success as a major leaguer or not, but I definitely want to see him and am very interested to watch how he does.

Well Frobasaurus Rex, that's good for you.

IMO, John Means as the litmus test of gauging whether or not I should be excited about a "prospect" is conditioning myself to be disappointed...which is actually status quo.  Someone as lightly regarded as Means turning into what he's become isn't the norm.  It's an outlier.

• Upvote 1

On 8/8/2020 at 2:53 PM, SteveA said:

We have used a C at DH I think 3 times in the past week.   Twice Sisco, once Pedro?

But I think most of that occurred when Ruiz was hurt and Nunez was forced to play 3rd.   Don't know if it will continue.

On 8/8/2020 at 2:59 PM, eddie83 said:

Right. Personally at this point I  want to see Sisco play more even though I am not high on him. I mean why not? See what he can do. 

Down the road we may be a team that could use 3 catchers because he how special Rutschman will be- we hope. Once we are back to a normal season and if we can get by with 12 pitchers that’s 5 players on bench. That would be best role for Sisco. 

Agreed. If Adley turns into what we think he can be and Sisco continues to develop as an extremely bat-first catching option, we would make sense as a team to carry 3 catchers with 26 roster spots. Sisco would occasionally DH when Adley starts at C as well as serving as a LH bench bat. When Adley needs days off at C, Sisco likely is behind backstop and Adley is the DH, then you want a backup C available.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

I wouldn't be shocked if rosters stay at 28 for future seasons too.  So three catchers may become more common.

I've been loving 28-man rosters! Lots of earlier pinch hitting opportunities, more chances for late-game defensive replacements, more chances to protect players by getting them off the field in a blowout. Being able to use catchers in the DH spot. There's a lot to like and not a lot of downside.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TommyPickles said:

I wouldn't be shocked if rosters stay at 28 for future seasons too.  So three catchers may become more common.

Players union would love it. One way owners could make them happier. 

1 hour ago, interloper said:

I've been loving 28-man rosters! Lots of earlier pinch hitting opportunities, more chances for late-game defensive replacements, more chances to protect players by getting them off the field in a blowout. Being able to use catchers in the DH spot. There's a lot to like and not a lot of downside.  

It does add more strategy. With the 3 batter minimum that impacts teams being able to make pitching changes also. 

2 hours ago, interloper said:

Considering David Hess has pitched once in the last 14 games, they aren't exactly maximizing usage of their 28-man roster.

I don't see owners approving 28 man rosters over a full 162 game season with regular spring training schedules.  Remember, they wanted to drop down to 26 this year and only agreed to keep it at 28 after the Miami and St. Louis situations cropped up.  I do expect a universal DH in the next CBA, though.

On 8/8/2020 at 1:27 PM, MurphDogg said:

I'm surprised that they did it today instead of tomorrow. I was thinking that if he came up, Akin would start tomorrowI understand Mullins going down instead of Velazquez with Iglesias not being 100 percent, but I still would have gone with Velazquez if they weren't going to go with Hess.

o

It took almost a week before Akin got into a game.

Most accounts are that he looked pretty good for his first 3 innings of work, before faltering in his 4th ........

Akin Makes Major League Debut in 15-3 Loss

(By Roch Kubatko)

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/08/akin-makes-major-league-debut-in-15-3-loss.html

o