O’s Sign Galvis. 1/$1.25 million

LookinUp

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

How is he the same as Iglesias defensively? 

Galvis had a -3 OAA and -4% success added at SS last year compared to Igelisas at 3 OAA and 5% SA. That's a 6 OAA difference and 9% success added  difference. 

If you wanted those numbers defensively I think Sanchez or Martin could have done that. Heck, maybe even Urias. 

Now, he was much better in 2019 and 2018, so why the big drop off? I worry when players entering the season at 31 and coming off a big drop in defensive ability. Now maybe something was bothering him, I don't know, and I guess he's cheap enough, but those statcast offensive numbers are pretty putrid and if he's not going to bring a great glove, then why not give those PAs to Martin or even Urias?

I guess in a year where it probably doesn't matter, I just don't see how this upgrades us all that much.

I just dont understand why anyone would be excited about this move.

14 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I just dont understand why anyone would be excited about this move.

Me either, but apparently they believe Galvis is a significantly better player then he's been over the last few years offensively and the major drop off last year defensively was apparently an aberration, because players normally get better at 31. 

I don't hate this move, I just don't see what it does all that much. I think they could have player Sanchez at SS and probably gotten the same defense and allowed Valaika or Urias to play 2B every day to see what they have. But hey, why not bring in a 31-year old with bad defensive numbers last year and well below average stick?

3 hours ago, SteveA said:

So you make clearly incorrect statements about the signing, then when called on it you say who cares, they don't want to win.

Fine.  That tells us all they need to know about your posts.  Any point you make about the Orioles, I am just going to ignore you because who cares, they aren't trying to win.

I said I was exaggerating! I'm not incorrect in saying that this move is "Dumpster Diving" or the Bottom of Bargain Bin signing!

And as @Tony-OH said they could've just gave the at bats to Martin or someone else that we have playing for the minimum.

Or draft a guy in the rule 5 that perhaps has a future in MLB baseball.

Lenyn Sosa, SS, Alfredo Rodriguez, SS , Wenceel Perez, SS , Livan Soto, SS , Leonardo Rivas, SS , Omar Estevez, 2B/SS,  Wander Javier, SS , Arquimedes Gamboa SS, Jordy Barley SS, Kevin Smith SS/3B

Players that I highlighted

1) Wander Javier 60 ARM/60 GLOVE

2) Livan Soto   55 ARM/ 60 GLOVE /50 HIT

3) Leonardo Rivas 60 ARM/60 GLOVE/55 HIT (***BB PROSPECTUS 2020)

4) Arquimedes Gamboa 60 ARM/60 GLOVE /60 RUN

5) Jordy Barley 60 ARM/ 55 GLOVE/60RUN

6) Kevin Smith  60 ARM/ 55 GLOVE

https://www.mlb.com/news/rule-5-draft-eligible-prospects-2020

AND DONT BE A TROLL!!

26 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Me either, but apparently they believe Galvis is a significantly better player then he's been over the last few years offensively and the major drop off last year defensively was apparently an aberration, because players normally get better at 31. 

I don't hate this move, I just don't see what it does all that much. I think they could have player Sanchez at SS and probably gotten the same defense and allowed Valaika or Urias to play 2B every day to see what they have. But hey, why not bring in a 31-year old with bad defensive numbers last year and well below average stick?

Bad move and I am not going to be excited about it!

I gave a list in my last posts of guys they could've taken a shot on in the rule 5. Obviously some of them aren't ready but who cares. They would've saved around 1 million dollars and as long as his glove plays who cares if you are signing a guy that going to get on base as such a low percentage anyway.

I honestly thought Elias would move away from the low OBP guys that have been a staple of Orioles baseball for a long time.

I understand trading Iglesias for resources ....But I don't see how signing this guy does anything but cost extra money that the Orioles are showing signs of financial distress.

4 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I said I was exaggerating! I'm not incorrect in saying that this move is "Dumpster Diving" or the Bottom of Bargain Bin signing!

And as @Tony-OH said they could've just gave the at bats to Martin or someone else that we have playing for the minimum.

Or draft a guy in the rule 5 that perhaps has a future in MLB baseball.

Lenyn Sosa, SS, Alfredo Rodriguez, SS , Wenceel Perez, SS , Livan Soto, SS , Leonardo Rivas, SS , Omar Estevez, 2B/SS,  Wander Javier, SS , Arquimedes Gamboa SS, Jordy Barley SS, Kevin Smith SS/3B

Players that I highlighted

1) Wander Javier 60 ARM/60 GLOVE

2) Livan Soto   55 ARM/ 60 GLOVE /50 HIT

3) Leonardo Rivas 60 ARM/60 GLOVE/55 HIT (***BB PROSPECTUS 2020)

4) Arquimedes Gamboa 60 ARM/60 GLOVE /60 RUN

5) Jordy Barley 60 ARM/ 55 GLOVE/60RUN

6) Kevin Smith  60 ARM/ 55 GLOVE

https://www.mlb.com/news/rule-5-draft-eligible-prospects-2020

AND DONT BE A TROLL!!

I'm not trolling you when I click on Wander (no, I'm not Franco) Javier and see that he last hit .177 and has an injury history.

Livan Soto hit .220 in AAA ball.  

The scouting report on Omar Estevez says he doesn't have the tools to stick at SS in the majors.  

There's a reason these guys were out there and didn't get selected.  

Maybe some of them do have a future but with Galvis you know what you're going to get.  If they signed him to a multi year deal, I'd be upset by it but it's a one year deal...it's fine.  

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm not trolling you when I click on Wander (no, I'm not Franco) Javier and see that he last hit .177 and has an injury history.

Livan Soto hit .220 in AAA ball.  

The scouting report on Omar Estevez says he doesn't have the tools to stick at SS in the majors.  

There's a reason these guys were out there and didn't get selected.  

Maybe some of them do have a future but with Galvis you know what you're going to get.  If they signed him to a multi year deal, I'd be upset by it but it's a one year deal...it's fine.  

Hey I have no problem with discussing the merits of the players. If you look at the post I responded to was disrespectful and dumb.

I believe the Orioles bottom fished here and if a guy is going to give you less than great defense and a .300 OBP why not just go with a kid with elite defensive potential that probably won’t hit either?

And anybody who has followed Elias he’s been pretty direct about not caring about winning.

I think there is little chance this guy ends up being a trade chip as he’d really need an uptick in production and to prove his defensive lapse wasn’t due to age....Long shots at best.

All I did to come up with that list was go to the link and determine who wasn’t protected. Then looked for guys that graded 60 or 55 in glove and arm. Even if the guy you select has just a 10% chance of being anything he’s a better option than wasting an extra million on this guy in a year where money is allegedly tight.

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Hey I have no problem with discussing the merits of the players. If you look at the post I responded to was disrespectful and dumb.

I believe the Orioles bottom fished here and if a guy is going to give you less than great defense and a .300 OBP why not just go with a kid with elite defensive potential that probably won’t hit either?

And anybody who has followed Elias he’s been pretty direct about not caring about winning.

I think there is little chance this guy ends up being a trade chip as he’d really need an uptick in production and to prove his defensive lapse wasn’t due to age....Long shots at best.

All I did to come up with that list was go to the link and determine who wasn’t protected. Then looked for guys that graded 60 or 55 in glove and arm. Even if the guy you select has just a 10% chance of being anything he’s a better option than wasting an extra million on this guy in a year where money is allegedly tight.

Meh.  I dunno.

I agree that money is probably tight but we don't know exactly how tight it is.  It's obviously not tight enough to give a SS a 1.25 million contract.  

At the end of the day, the rule 5 guys have issues, Galvis has issues but to me it's whatever.  I think they're more hoping that an SS steps up in our system this summer, such as Frobby and I discussed.  

But even if the Rule 5 guy isn't great, you probably can't send him down, you'd have to offer him back to his original team.  So you've got that stupid rule that makes you carry that guy all year or else.  If it turns out that guy isn't ready, he's most likely going back to his original team and then at that point you need to have a backup, that's probably Ritchie Martin.

I don't think Galvis is particularly great but it's a one year deal and he's proven.  

5 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I look at it as infield depth

Galvis at SS or 2B

Sanchez  2B/SS/3B

Valiaka   2B or maybe 3B  with a split contract; has an option

Ruiz    3B has an option

Urias  2B/SS 3B has an option;  We haven't seem much of his yet.  Interesting bat

Martin SS/2B probably goes to AAA; has options

Lets them fight it out in camp.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I look at it as infield depth

Galvis at SS or 2B

Sanchez  2B/SS/3B

Valiaka   2B or maybe 3B  with a split contract; has an option

Ruiz    3B has an option

Urias  2B/SS 3B has an option;  We haven't seem much of his yet.  Interesting bat

Martin SS/2B probably goes to AAA; has options

Lets them fight it out in camp.

I wrote a bunch of crap then deleted to write this... Just sign Villar. Blah blah Switch hitters. Blah blah Athletes. Blah blah no Infield depth. 

He's a decent to plus SS (and could slide to 2B or 3B... but won't) who won't hit. Had a career year hitting in 2019, don't expect that to continue.

I don't really care who we got (except that he's a well-capable SS) don't care about who as much as the SS position is FILLED. One glaring hole checked off.

Now get a middling starter and Go to war, Miss Agnes!