Adley Rutschman 2021

glenn__davis

8 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Sounded like a teenager with the voice cracking.

He did, but I think that’s Adam Pohl, their long time announcer.    Not the best radio voice but a pretty good game caller nevertheless.   

46 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Sounded like a teenager with the voice cracking.

Adam is interviewed on a lot of Orioles podcasts I follow and is very knowledgeable on all things in Bowie. I think it's partially the excitement in his voice because he seems to love what he does. 

4 hours ago, ChrisP said:

Adam is interviewed on a lot of Orioles podcasts I follow and is very knowledgeable on all things in Bowie. I think it's partially the excitement in his voice because he seems to love what he does. 

He was also the Frederick Keys radio announcer for years, then moved up to Bowie. Been with the Keys/Baysox organizations for 15 seasons. Very knowledgeable and passionate about the Orioles. 

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

2 BBs so far tonight.

He is walking a ton lately.  Teams pitching around him?  another reason to move him up.

I went to the game tonight.  He seems to have an advanced knowledge and ability to control the strike zone.  The pitchers seemed scared to throw him strikes.  Adley was DH'ing and the other catcher Hudgins made little effort to control the running game.   Adley just looks like a big guy.  IMO, he's probably closer to 240 than 220, but not fat.  Maybe that was his college weight. 

46 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I feel like the only reason Adley hasn't been promoted is that they want Cumberland to get reps at catcher in Norfolk.  I can't think of any other GOOD reason. Not that Cumberland is a great one.  

I think it’s getting a working relationship with Grayson and DL Hall going. Plus a ton of guys in Bowie’s pen could be depth for the Orioles the next couple years 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

I think it’s getting a working relationship with Grayson and DL Hall going. Plus a ton of guys in Bowie’s pen could be depth for the Orioles the next couple years 

Yep, he's building up quite the relations with Hall while he's on the IL.

Also, he worked with both of them last season.

58 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I feel like the only reason Adley hasn't been promoted is that they want Cumberland to get reps at catcher in Norfolk.  I can't think of any other GOOD reason. Not that Cumberland is a great one.  

How about we call up Cumberland and DFA Severino or Wynns if you're that concerned about the money Severino is making? I get we aren't going to see top prospects this year, but at least give us the fringe guys so we can see if they have anything to offer before the top guys arrive. Lets see how Cumberland can do in the Majors. Can he be Adley's back-up? Sisco didn't pan out. Severino certainly isn't cutting it. Wynns is what he is. 

3 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

This is so overblown.  Why wouldn’t we want him working with Bradish or Smith more?  Or Lowther?  Or even up in the majors helping the young pitchers here. The idea that he needs to stay in Bowie to catch those guys is way over the top.  

58 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

This is so overblown.  Why wouldn’t we want him working with Bradish or Smith more?  Or Lowther?  Or even up in the majors helping the young pitchers here. The idea that he needs to stay in Bowie to catch those guys is way over the top.  

There’s one reason and it’s pretty obvious. They’re running out the clock on his 2021 season. If they had promoted him too soon, there would have been calls to bring him up to Baltimore this season if he did well early on at Norfolk. If he isn’t promoted to Norfolk until July, you can stall that debate for at least a month. And at that point (Aug/Sep) the easy answer will be that you don’t possibly burn a full year of control for a month and change on a 100+ loss team. If it was based solely on merit, he would have been in AAA for a while already. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I think that the overwrought concern over whether Rutschman is in Bowie or Norfolk right now is overblown too.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I think that the overwrought concern over whether Rutschman is in Bowie or Norfolk right now is overblown too.

I don't care if he ever sees AAA.  In fact, I said I didn't think he would ever see it.  He should be in Baltimore next and that should be soon.

That being said, if hey are going to make the wrong decision and keep him in the minors, he should be in AAA now.