Nick Vespi 2021

Aristotelian

I haven't seen much on this guy. I see he is up to 31 in Tony's Power Ranking, so he is on the radar. 18th round draft pick who has risen steadily. Picked up 9 SV for Delmarva in 2018. Looks like they had him repeat Delmarva while trying to make him into a starter in 2019. He had a good year pitching into the 7th a few times. Finally promoted to Bowie this year as 25 year old and got off to a strong start before getting injured. Haven't seen much on the nature of the injury. Has been used in appearances ranging from 1 to 3 innings.

Across his body of work, I see high K's, low BB's, low WHIP. In 2019, held LHB to .149/.198/.191/.390 and splits vs RHB weren't too bad either. Would like to see that success in AA but assuming he comes back from injury and maintains his success at AA, on paper I am seeing a nice replacement for Fry, MLB ready next year (perhaps even cup of coffee this year). 

Anyone see him pitch lately or know what's going on with the injury? 

Haven't seen him in a while, but this is what I wrote about him a month ago:

I'm curious to see more of Nick Vespi. LH reliever doesn't throw particularly hard, but slider/curve produces a lot of empty swings. Pitches from extreme edge of rubber and looks like hitters have a hard time picking up the ball.....possibly helps his FB look a little more lively than it is. If he could add little more zip he'd be pretty interesting. Putting up big strikeout numbers so far. Definitely can see why the converted him to a reliever. 

38 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I haven't seen much on this guy. I see he is up to 31 in Tony's Power Ranking, so he is on the radar. 18th round draft pick who has risen steadily. Picked up 9 SV for Delmarva in 2018. Looks like they had him repeat Delmarva while trying to make him into a starter in 2019. He had a good year pitching into the 7th a few times. Finally promoted to Bowie this year as 25 year old and got off to a strong start before getting injured. Haven't seen much on the nature of the injury. Has been used in appearances ranging from 1 to 3 innings.

Across his body of work, I see high K's, low BB's, low WHIP. In 2019, held LHB to .149/.198/.191/.390 and splits vs RHB weren't too bad either. Would like to see that success in AA but assuming he comes back from injury and maintains his success at AA, on paper I am seeing a nice replacement for Fry, MLB ready next year (perhaps even cup of coffee this year). 

Anyone see him pitch lately or know what's going on with the injury? 

I thought he was a guy with great hair at Delmarva...I'm glad to see him showing up on the radar now.

He's been out for weeks now but I heard his injury is not too severe. He was really showing he could dominate for an inning or two and looked like he could be a decent left-handed reliever. Saying that, he'll need to start pitching again soon or he'll start dropping in the rankings.

9 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

He's been out for weeks now but I heard his injury is not too severe. He was really showing he could dominate for an inning or two and looked like he could be a decent left-handed reliever. Saying that, he'll need to start pitching again soon or he'll start dropping in the rankings.

Hard thrower?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

No, Vespi is a 89-91 guy that may touch 92 but his big weapon is a sweeping curveball that is tough to hit from either side of the plate.

I have to think he sees ML time this year.  I mean, why not?  Maybe if they move Fry and/or Scott, he comes up?

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I have to think he sees ML time this year.  I mean, why not?  Maybe if they move Fry and/or Scott, he comes up?

He needs to be protected anyways this offseason so yes, if Fry or Scott are moved, I could see them giving Vespi a shot as he's the best left-handed relief pitcher they have in he upper minors.

26 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

He needs to be protected anyways this offseason so yes, if Fry or Scott are moved, I could see them giving Vespi a shot as he's the best left-handed relief pitcher they have in he upper minors.

I wouldn't mind seeing him even if we keep Fry and Scott. Plenty of expendable arms in the bullpen right now.