Gunnar Henderson 2022

Just Regular

46 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Ugh.  No way could the O's ever find success playing a big guy at SS.   It's never been done.  :)

He looks a little quicker and athletic then Cal did as well.  Not saying he'd be as good or better.   Just saying.

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

So when do we start comparing him to Manny?  What this guy is doing this year is incredible and he’s doing it at 20. He’s out there stealing bases too. 

Manny, of course, was in the majors a month after turning 20.   Gunnar has gotten to AAA a few weeks before turning 21.   So, I’m not going to burden Gunnar with Manny comparisons.   He’s a different player and looks like he could be a real good one.   That was a great debut game in AAA and I hope it’s a sign of good things to come.   

25 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not saying he can't do it.

I will say that I don't trust my recollections of Cal's defense back in 1982.

Cal had great hands and he was noted for his positioning but for just pure athleticism I think what I've seen from Henderson is better.   Cal also had a great arm but the throw Henderson made from deep third base last night, makes me think he's right there in that category.    Cal was super accurate.    Obviously, it remains to be seen but I certainly think he's got a chance to stick there if thats where he fits best.

Super exciting to look at the Norfolk box score and see Vavra, Henderson, and Westburg all in there. And even Stowers is still maintaining a .900+ OPS.  All that goes a long way towards soothing the Grayson bummer, at least for me.

It's nice to remember that, yes, we do still have a top farm system with a lot of very talented players.  And if Adley starts hitting, that will really relieve some stress around here. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, jrobb21613 said:

Is Gunner destined to finish the year in Norfolk or will he get the call if he does well there and if he does well how long before he gets called up? 

My personal thought is this…if he is playing at a high level in AAA and isn’t being challenged, he gets brought up. If he isn’t being challenged at AAA, then he needs to be on the team from day 1 next year and if that is the thought, bring him up and let him get his feet wet.  Figure this is something to consider as we get into August.

If not, they keep him down, bring him to ST for a “chance to make the team” and then send him back down to get the extra year.  

5 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

Is Gunner destined to finish the year in Norfolk or will he get the call if he does well there and if he does well how long before he gets called up? 

He'll be lucky to break camp with the Orioles next season regardless of how well he plays in the interim.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

My personal thought is this…if he is playing at a high level in AAA and isn’t being challenged, he gets brought up. If he isn’t being challenged at AAA, then he needs to be on the team from day 1 next year and if that is the thought, bring him up and let him get his feet wet.  Figure this is something to consider as we get into August.

If not, they keep him down, bring him to ST for a “chance to make the team” and then send him back down to get the extra year.  

What would you say would constitute “not being challenged?”   I think we can all agree that his 1.025 OPS at Bowie met that standard.   I’m not where the line is though.  .900?   .850?  .800?   Stowers is at .918, but it’s very power driven (.303 ISO).   I think .900+ from Gunnar with a bit more BA/OBP in the equation might make the case for an August/September call-up.   Short of that, my guess is no.  

From Baseball America today:

Gunnar Henderson, SS Orioles: The Orioles shortstop prospect continued his breakout season as he collected two hits, got on base three times and homered in his Triple-A debut. The home run came off of the Brewers' Ethan Small in the first inning, and set the tone for Gunnar's debut. Henderson started at third base with Jordan Westburg manning shortstop.With the way Henderson has performed there's a realistic case to be made he is the best player in the minor leagues.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/gunnar-henderson-goes-yard-in-triple-a-debut/

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

He'll be lucky to break camp with the Orioles next season regardless of how well he plays in the interim.

Perhaps in May or June we see Gunnar if he keeps playing well, but him making the opening day roster is unlikely unless Elias changes his approach on promoting prospects to the Orioles.