Adley is in the Show!

Sports Guy

8 hours ago, Filmstudy said:

Line drives keep ringing off his bat.  Now 6 straight games with an XBH including 5 2B and 2 HR.

Don't look now, but he's now slashing .298/.432/.730.  That isn't incredible, but the AL OPS was .697 through Sunday and he's a catcher, dammit.

It might be time to get excited he's actually good.

I assert, based on his play to date and not as a projection, he's the best player the Orioles have relative to his position and he's probably among the top 30 players in the AL.

And that OBP is going to continue to rise as he sees more pitching. 

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m 65 years old and I still struggle to grow a mustache.   Can’t wait until I come into my full strength!

By now Adley has an .840 OPS in June, 1.046 in his second 15 games.   I’d say he’s figuring it out.   

I'm cheering for you!  When I could finally grow a beard, it had turned gray.  😕

I’m going to say, I think his rapport with the pitchers is really warming up too.  First few games when he went over to greet the pitchers after an inning, I could see them kind of humoring him but not really into it.  But more and more I see them getting pumped up.   I loved the way he kind of threw his arm around Akin’s shoulders after he finished off last night’s game.  Chirinos also has a good rapport with the pitchers and it’s nice to see.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m going to say, I think his rapport with the pitchers is really warming up too.  First few games when he went over to greet the pitchers after an inning, I could see them kind of humoring him but not really into it.  But more and more I see them getting pumped up.   I loved the way he kind of threw his arm around Akin’s shoulders after he finished off last night’s game.  Chirinos also has a good rapport with the pitchers and it’s nice to see.

I was noticing this as well.  Seems like the kid has leadership qualities.   I think that's a great thing from the catcher position.    

19 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

This is very common and why I'm in favor of bringing guys like Henderson and Westburg up at some point this year so they can have time to make that adjustment this year instead of next.

Come August this will be a massive Leading Indicator for me how Elias assesses 2023, before we even know if the day after the World Series ends he is ringing Scott Boras' phone or refining the phrasing in his memo about non-tendering Anthony Santander.

Vaughn, Kelenic, Torkelson, anybody - your Bats are paying a MLB acclimation tax their first 100 or 200 or 1000 PA depending on how great they are.    It is a conscious deployment decision with big time for consideration whether to silo that to Summer 2022 or Spring 2023.   In Vaughn's case you might get a big Year2 ROI even if you "waste" a year with him performing like any 4th outfielder you could find.

Club control of Gunnar Henderson and Grayson Rodriguez's 2029 means something, but 2023 when the Club has control of Anthony Santander, Ryan Mountcastle, Austin Hays and Cedric Mullins (never mind Adley Rutschman) also does.   Baseball is an emotional game, and I believe ballplayers can be more or less engaged (in case of Soto on 2022 Nationals) based on how they feel their Organization is treating them and the present season.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

He’s so much different than Wieters.  I would be really surprised if all he ends up being is “just Wieters”.

The lack of a long looping swing (that Wieters had) is the biggest difference I’ve noticed (thus far). What were you thinking?

4 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Adley is up to #3 in MLB Pipeline's Rookie of the Year power rankings.

Going to be tough to move up from here unless the guys ahead of him suffer injuries, as Julio Rodriguez and Bobby Witt have a seven-week head start, having had two strong months after initially scuffling out of the gate (just as Adley did). 

The AL rookie class is one of the strongest I can ever remember.   

7 minutes ago, Orioles Jim said:

The lack of a long looping swing (that Wieters had) is the biggest difference I’ve noticed (thus far). What were you thinking?

He's much more athletic. Also has a different (though equally effective) command of the pitchers and defense. He's much more Buster Posey than Matt Wieters.

49 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Adley is up to #3 in MLB Pipeline's Rookie of the Year power rankings.

Going to be tough to move up from here unless the guys ahead of him suffer injuries, as Julio Rodriguez and Bobby Witt have a seven-week head start, having had two strong months after initially scuffling out of the gate (just as Adley did). 

I think he can run down Witt if he keeps trending like he has the last few weeks.