Orioles calling up Westburg.

Brian88

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Westburg is likely to play second and third. I don’t think any set lineup is happening. No one is getting benched.

I don’t mind a rotation of infielders stating as long as Westburg doesn’t wind up not playing like Ortiz.

i don’t think that’s going to happen with Westburg, but that’s on the Orioles to pencil his name in the lineup card five times a week. 

I don't care for a rotation of infielders too much. If the O's are committing to bringing Westburg up, then he should be up to play mostly everyday. And Gunnar definitely better be playing everyday. I don't think it is the best way to maximize the value or development of young top prospects to be platooning them. IMO platoons are for suboptimal starters in order to get maximum value out of them. When you platoon top young players, you are robbing them of getting needed meaningful reps.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Rotation amongst everyone with Henderson playing the most.

Man, Hyde’s managerial experience sure has changed in just a few years! Soon enough we’ll be having the same problems in the outfield with Cowser/Kjerstad. And poor Ortiz…..at almost any other time we’d be fawning over the guy.  

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I don't care for a rotation of infielders too much. If the O's are committing to bringing Westburg up, then he should be up to play mostly everyday. And Gunnar definitely better be playing everyday. I don't think it is the best way to maximize the value or development of young top prospects to be platooning them. IMO platoons are for suboptimal starters in order to get maximum value out of them. When you platoon top young players, you are robbing them of getting needed meaningful reps.

You realize that Hyde has no problem platooning righty-lefty matchups even though the beneficiary has an OPS south of 700 and the player being benched has a much higher OPS?

13 minutes ago, yark14 said:

This is the callup that I'm most excited for since Adley's.  I live in Austin and Westburg grew up in a small town just south of here.  A former employee of mine grew up with him and is still close to him.  A couple years ago I was watching an Orioles game at work and he casually said "My best friend was just drafted by the Orioles".

That's a great story! Similarly, I was working down here in Texas and a scout for the O's came in. He had very glowing things to say about Westburg (and likely scouted him). This is a great day for O's baseball. I still think of one of the coaches' comments saying that if he had a kid, he'd want him to be Westburg. Sure, he's a good ball player but I think his work ethic and him as a person is even better.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, maudibjr said:

godoy or ortiz will be the coesponding move imo

Apples and oranges.   They both might be the corresponding move.

Godoy is on the 40, but not on the 26.   He could be the guy removed from the 40 man roster to make room for Wesburg.

Ortiz is on the 26 man roster, and certainly could (and IMO probably will) be the guy removed from the 26 man roster to make room for Westburg, but he most assuredly won't be removed from the 40.

9 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

Man, Hyde’s managerial experience sure has changed in just a few years! Soon enough we’ll be having the same problems in the outfield with Cowser/Kjerstad. And poor Ortiz…..at almost any other time we’d be fawning over the guy.  

If the team was stupidly handling their MI, we could be fawning over him right now.