Jorge Lopez is Back

Orioles Jim

This will be interesting to see how it goes.  

Has to be a little ego boost to know the Orioles believe in him enough to bring him back.   Maybe that and a little coaching will get him to calm down and be the guy we know he can be.  

Edited by Gurgi

1 hour ago, ArtVanDelay said:

So he’s not eligible for the postseason roster since he wasn’t here by Sep. 1, right?

Correct.

1 hour ago, banks703 said:

I’d have to go back and affirm this but I believe that there are exceptions that could be made for injury replacements but as it stands, without said exceptions he would not be eligible unless somehow the claim was submitted on Thursday and just made official. That part I do not know. 

Unless he was claimed and on the 40 man roster by 11:59 PM on Thursday and they took 2 days to report it, that wouldn't apply.

43 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I thought the waiver deadline already passed. Did this happen last week without anyone finding out til now? Maybe he will get good again and we can flip him for another closer.

MLB.com has him on the 40 man, but not the active roster. But he's not in the minors and isn't injured. So he belongs to us and he just sits on the 40 man for now? 

Waivers can happen at any time. There used to be a deadline, but that was removed in 2019. Now, the only deadline is for someone to be on the postseason roster (August 31st.)

As of now, he belongs to the team and they have not made a 26 man roster move yet.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Correct.

Unless he was claimed and on the 40 man roster by 11:59 PM on Thursday and they took 2 days to report it, that wouldn't apply.

Waivers can happen at any time. There used to be a deadline, but that was removed in 2019. Now, the only deadline is for someone to be on the postseason roster (August 31st.)

As of now, he belongs to the team and they have not made a 26 man roster move yet.

So... Goodbye Austin Voth?

Just now, Legend_Of_Joey said:

What can’t happen now are trades involving players on waivers post 7/31.  If a waived player gets claimed, he’s gone with no compensation to the waiving team other than relief of that player’s salary.  

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Correct.

You are right, sir. I just reread the rules. Unless they put in the claim on Thursday and it wasn’t announced until today (which could be the case I suppose) JL will be ineligible for the postseason. 

3 minutes ago, Hallas said:

Weren't there loopholes with injuries and post-9/1 callups?  Is Lopez completely blocked from postseason play even in an injury situation?

Again, as stated above, he would of had to be in the organization before September 1st. So Lopez is NOT eligible, at all.

Anyone else can be used as an injury or "injury" replacement, meaning someone like Means, or another pitcher or position player.

8 minutes ago, Hallas said:

Weren't there loopholes with injuries and post-9/1 callups?  Is Lopez completely blocked from postseason play even in an injury situation?

Yea he’s blocked. He can’t be on the postseason roster and since he isn’t likely to help this year, it really is a bit of a head scratching move unless there is something small they see that can fix him or they think they can get him to go to AAA, fix him down there and then sign him for cheap in 2024..they likely could have signed him cheaply in 2024, so there must have been something they see.

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea he’s blocked. He can’t be on the postseason roster and since he isn’t likely to help this year, it really is a bit of a head scratching move unless there is something small they see that can fix him or they think they can get him to go to AAA, fix him down there and then sign him for cheap in 2024..they likely could have signed him cheaply in 2024, so there must have been something they see.

It could be as simple as his new pitching coaches getting him away from what the guys here helped him to develop. Every team has their own approach, they might think they can get him back to helping them down the stretch.

2 hours ago, bpilktree said:

I bet we try to put him back through waivers and see if we can pass him through to get him in Norfolk first.  No one claimed him first time so good chance we can pass him through as only Braves didn’t get a chance to claim him.  

The Braves did get a chance to claim him but turned it down. Every NL team gets a chance before any AL team since he was on a NL team. So the Orioles were the last club to get a shot at him.

15 minutes ago, hutchead said:

The Braves did get a chance to claim him but turned it down. Every NL team gets a chance before any AL team since he was on a NL team. So the Orioles were the last club to get a shot at him.

I think they changed that rule a few years ago and now the waiver order is just based on record and it doesn't matter what league a team is in. 

• Upvote 2