Gunnar's in good company.

Jim'sKid26

The 2023 rookie class appears to be one of the best in the history of the MLB and Gunnar is leading AL rookies in WAR.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-kids-are-alright-this-years-rookie-class-has-been-historically-great/

"When it comes to award season, this year’s class may not appear as flashy as last year’s; after Carroll, the 2023 group is giving less “instant stars” and more “solid big leaguers with a chance of becoming stars.” But the depth is serious. Nearly every team has seen some significant contribution from first-year players, and while surely some of these early-career successes will fade, some will plant themselves firmly among baseball’s next generation, making themselves key puzzle pieces on future championship teams."

I thought this was an interesting take: "Successful rookie classes are a sign of sophisticated player development systems, and it’s clear that franchises around the league have been increasingly effective in preparing their minor leaguers for the big leagues. The fact that the classes of the last two seasons have been so position player-heavy may hint that the barriers to entry for them could be less inhibitive than those that pitchers face in today’s game."

• Upvote 2

On 9/5/2023 at 6:36 PM, yark14 said:

Set the precedent for being overrated his whole career.

I’d be pretty satisfied if Gunnar had as good a career as Jeter (71 rWAR, 73 fWAR).   He’s both overrated and a deserving first ballot Hall of Famer.  Gunnar’s a different type of player, but he produced that much overall value, that would be a great outcome.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I thought the Yankees were getting the contract ready.

It'll make the Mussina bashing seem like nothing.

I dont imagine anyone bashes Henderson for leaving after his rookie contract.   The fan base has been totally knowledgeable of the cheapness of John Angelos.  Mussina was bashed because Peter Angelos claimed that Mike Mussina had implied that the Orioles would be able have a chance to match any offer.   Also I dont think people really understood how horrible Peter was at the time.  And Mussina has a prickly personality.  Hard to love the guy.   

Henderson comes across as a loyal sweet little puppy.   

1 minute ago, Gurgi said:

I dont imagine anyone bashes Henderson for leaving after his rookie contract.   The fan base has been totally knowledgeable of the cheapness of John Angelos.  Mussina was bashed because Peter Angelos claimed that Mike Mussina had implied that the Orioles would be able have a chance to match any offer.   Also I dont think people really understood how horrible Peter was at the time.  And Mussina has a prickly personality.  Hard to love the guy.   

Folks are still bitter about Mussina twenty years later.

Some of the fanbase will absoultly blame Henderson if he walks.

2 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Well, Mussina was everything an employee should be when he was in Baltimore. 

I'm not going to rehash the whole Mussina saga, but when the player and agent lets Angelos know what they are looking for, and Angelos responds by adding another year at the same AAV with deferred money, with no interest, I think it could be said that the team didn't try to operate in good faith.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Folks are still bitter about Mussina twenty years later.

Some of the fanbase will absoultly blame Henderson if he walks.

I am one of the people still pissed about Mussina.   But I have mellowed a lot.  I also can not imagine getting mad at Henderson when John Angelos gives interviews to the press that we wont have the money to keep our young superstars.   How can you hold it against the player when the owner has already warned he aint spending no real money?   Peter despite his many damn flaws often spent a lot of money.   John is using the Orioles to finance his rich lifestyle because he never really had a job in his life and owes all his money to daddy. 

Edited by Gurgi