Is this guy related to a Confederate general?

WillyM

One of Roch Kubatko's recent articles listed players currently participating in the Orioles' instructional camp.

I did a double-take when I saw the fourth name on the list.  I thought Roch was pulling our leg by including a Civil War general in the list.

But no, the Orioles actually did draft a pitcher named Braxton Bragg in the eighth round this year.  He signed a contract and pitched several games for Delmarva before the season ended.

Does anyone know if Braxton Bragg the pitcher is related to Braxton Bragg the Confederate general?

24 minutes ago, WillyM said:

One of Roch Kubatko's recent articles listed players currently participating in the Orioles' instructional camp.

I did a double-take when I saw the fourth name on the list.  I thought Roch was pulling our leg by including a Civil War general in the list.

But no, the Orioles actually did draft a pitcher named Braxton Bragg in the eighth round this year.  He signed a contract and pitched several games for Delmarva before the season ended.

Does anyone know if Braxton Bragg the pitcher is related to Braxton Bragg the Confederate general?

It is reported that Braxton Bragg had no children, but I have to think he’s related.

Edited by Frobby

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braxton_Bragg

The Civil War General is from Warrenton, NC. There is a rumor that he was born in prison while his mother was serving a sentence for murder. Bragg is generally considered among the worst generals of the Civil War. Most of the battles he engaged in ended in defeat. Bragg was extremely unpopular with both the officers and ordinary men under his command, who criticized him for numerous perceived faults, including poor battlefield strategy, a quick temper, and overzealous discipline. Bragg has a generally poor reputation with historians, as well.

He graduated fifth of fifty cadets from the West Point Class of 1837 and was commissioned a second lieutenant in the 3rd U.S. Artillery. Generally cadets who graduated high in their classes were commission into either the Engineer or Artillery Branch. 

The stories about his service in the U.S. Army prior to his joining the CSA are full of amusing anecdotes that illustrated a troubled soul who was perceived as a strict disciplinarian and a "by the book" officer who was hated by his men. apparently they tried to assassinate him on two separate occasions but were unsuccessful. He was court martialed for disobeying orders and disrespecting his superior officers. But was also the "hero of the battle of Buena Vista" in the Mexican American War. 

https://dbupatriots.com/sports/baseball/roster/braxton-bragg/6232

The Orioles Braxton Bragg is from Kansas City, MO by way of the University of Nebraska and Dallas Baptist University. He played High School ball at Liberty High School for his Dad Kirk Bragg and was a First Baseman and Pitcher. He was recruited to Nebraska where he pitched out of the pen mostly. He transferred to Dallas Baptist in 2023. At DBU he started 16 games and was 9-2 with a 4.19 ERA in 86 IP. He K'ed 92 and walked 17 giving up 94 hits and 13 Hrs.

Hope this helps.