Is anyone upset that a team just shelled out $1 billion???

DocJJ

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I meant they made a mint off the sale.

No idea how much profit it was or would be generating if they had kept it.

I used to know some of these numbers, including the revenue MLBAM threw off annually.  But I’ve forgotten and don’t feel like researching it.  

On 12/28/2023 at 9:14 AM, Roll Tide said:

How isnt it broken ole wise one? Some teams can spend $300-$400 million per season (including the luxury tax). Some teams cant spend half that. Some teams end up with most of the big names. Folks here are already sweating losing Adley and Gunnar in Free Agency. Are the Orioles cheap? Sure but Weams and a few other guys claimed the teams was losing money when Machado was here.

Moreover, If I was a Pirate or Rays fan I would have very little interest watching my favorite players leave over money.

Exactly. We can complain that some owners are just pocketing money and not spending on free agents. But that doesn't mean that those owners are able to hand out a billion dollars of contracts to two players in one offseason.  I mean I just don't see how these types of salaries can continue in professional sports. At some point the salaries can't keep increasing just because the next big free agent wants to be the highest paid player in the league. In 20 years are we going to have billion dollar team payrolls?

17 minutes ago, ledzepp8 said:

Exactly. We can complain that some owners are just pocketing money and not spending on free agents. But that doesn't mean that those owners are able to hand out a billion dollars of contracts to two players in one offseason.  I mean I just don't see how these types of salaries can continue in professional sports. At some point the salaries can't keep increasing just because the next big free agent wants to be the highest paid player in the league. In 20 years are we going to have billion dollar team payrolls?

It’s clearly a problem. I want the Orioles to win their next WS and be competitive yearly because they excel at drafting, developing, trades, and in the international market. But, I also want to see our stars be retained rather than dealt over contracts. I agree with Sports Guy that you can’t/ don’t extend everyone. I’m onboard with dealing Santander. But, Gunnar, Gray Rod, Mayo, Bradish will be painful to watch leave. And if I were a Ray, Brewer, Royal, Pfan watch8ng 

But, the international guys should have to enter a draft. The small to mid  clubs really aren’t in play for most of those guys. 

Baseball should create a competitive cap where some percentage of their revenue is thrown into a pot and split equally so all teams have the same amount to work with. 

They can spend extra dough on managers, front offices, pocket profits, improve stadiums, academies etc. 

That way the best ran clubs win rather than the unfair playing field. Some economic system similar to football. A cap and a minimum to keep Angelos from pocketing 100 million per year which is in the ball park of what they’ve been walk8ng with during the rebuild. 

44 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

It’s clearly a problem. I want the Orioles to win their next WS and be competitive yearly because they excel at drafting, developing, trades, and in the international market. But, I also want to see our stars be retained rather than dealt over contracts. I agree with Sports Guy that you can’t/ don’t extend everyone. I’m onboard with dealing Santander. But, Gunnar, Gray Rod, Mayo, Bradish will be painful to watch leave. And if I were a Ray, Brewer, Royal, Pfan watch8ng 

But, the international guys should have to enter a draft. The small to mid  clubs really aren’t in play for most of those guys. 

Baseball should create a competitive cap where some percentage of their revenue is thrown into a pot and split equally so all teams have the same amount to work with. 

They can spend extra dough on managers, front offices, pocket profits, improve stadiums, academies etc. 

That way the best ran clubs win rather than the unfair playing field. Some economic system similar to football. A cap and a minimum to keep Angelos from pocketing 100 million per year which is in the ball park of what they’ve been walk8ng with during the rebuild. 

The players according to Scherzer floated a cap/floor, the owners declined to pursue it.

"If you get a floor, you get a cap," Mets pitcher and former MLBPA executive subcommittee rep Max Scherzer said. "There was a proposal exchanged on that."

Look-I am in sympathy with much of what you say as a fan but the reality is that revenue is growing much faster than salaries.  Most owners are happy with the system which unlike football is not based upon parity but on driving large market revenue that is then redistributed.  NFL revenue is driven by TV, MLB is still driven largely by attenadance-you can't compare the two they have very different busisness models.

Not sure what you mean by "competitive cap" as the Orioles already recieve $110m plus in CBT funds.  They also recieve another $90m in national revenue and that's not coming from Oakland, Cinci, Pittsburgh and TB-it's coming from national contracts driven largely by large markets and their stars.

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

This would be hilarious if it weren't so intentional.

You do realize that teams in the NFL have to release and trade players all the time because of the cap, right?  You do realize that a cap is what causes players to switch teams so often in other sports, correct?

The very thing you're arguing for is the very thing that would enable the thing you're arguing against.  

Edited by Moose Milligan
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

This would be hilarious if it weren't so intentional.

You do realize that teams in the NFL have to release and trade players all the time because of the cap, right?  You do realize that a cap is what causes players to switch teams so often in other sports, correct?

The very thing you're arguing for is the very thing that would enable the thing you're arguing against.  

In fact, a salary floor is what is likely to keep more guys on their teams because the likeliest scenario would be teams spending that money on their own.

A cap doesn’t do that.

Edited by Sports Guy

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Yes …any player from outside the US wanting to play here.

So a guy that has had a full (6 years +) career in the NPB or KBO should be forced to enter the draft and what, make ML minimum for three years and wait six years before they can become a free agent?

Are you trying to keep guys like Ohanti from playing MLB?  Did Ichiro kick your dog?  You not like Kim's defense in left?  Koji hit on your mother?

What an insane take.

They are free agents.  They've earned that status.

The posting fee is so the NPB and KBO don't get completely gutted.

• Upvote 1