New hat leak?

Snutchy

46 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

The guy that developed the Cartoon Oriole was a artist working for Walt Disney.  Forget his name. 

Here's the story:

"... becoming chairman and majority owner, Hoffberger would tab Frank Cashen as Executive Vice President of the team in October of that year. Cashen had previously served as director of advertising for National Brewing, and was brought in, according to Hoffberger, to "sell" the public on the Orioles. In other words, before Frank Cashen became the architect of two World Series champions in Baltimore and one with the New York Mets, he was a marketing guy, brought in to promote the Orioles.

Under his direction, the team contracted Hollywood animation studio Quartet Films—a firm that had been creating characters for the brewer’s advertising campaigns—to create a marketable bird character for the club. Quartet, headed up by animator Stan Walsh, soon gave birth to an enduring brand. While Walsh is often given credit as the artist responsible for this bird, the work was actually done by Paul Carlson, who was art-directed by Walsh.

Cashen explained the process in his book "Winning in Both Leagues:"

…(S)peaking of raising the Orioles' image, history accepts that Hoffberger first sent me to the club to be VP of marketing, a position that I fully understood after working at National Brewing for four years. Coming with that assignment was a flood of ideas. "How can you change the opinion and impression the average fan had of the Orioles?"

One of my very first thoughts was that the oriole "bird" that was pictured on the front of the official baseball cap, and served as the clubs symbol, was too sedentary. It was supposed to be a small oriole, but it looked to me more like a tiny sparrow. Having just concluded a series of new beer commercials at National, the bulk of them being cartoon related, I had a couple ideas that I wanted to discuss with the Los Angeles advertising crowd. I contacted Stan Walsh, who had done some work for National Brewing. Stan had been a cartoonist for the Walt Disney Studios prior to opting for commercial work, and we had been fairly good friends. In short order Stan sent me examples of aggressive cartoon birds, one of which became the new symbol of the Orioles and was immediately transferred to the 1966 baseball caps.

Quartet Films, located in LA, had previously created animated characters such as Tony the Tiger and the Jolly Green Giant, as well as the Hamm's Beer bear.

In 1957, while working at Disney, animator/illustrator Carlson created 7 Up spokes-bird Fresh-Up Freddie. The resemblance between Freddie and the Orioles' cartoon bird is unmistakable:

FREDDIE_ORIOLES

The cartoon Orioles bird was unveiled just in time for the genesis of one of the greatest eras that any franchise has ever experienced. The “smiling bird” served as witness to three World Series championships: 1966, 1970, and 1983. This golden era also saw the team win American League pennants in 1969, 1971, and 1979."

https://www.toddradom.com/blog/frank-cashen-fresh-up-freddie-and-the-birth-of-the-orioles-cartoon-bird#:~:text=Louis Browns moved to Baltimore,Baltimore Sun cartoonist Jim Hartzell.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Sorry if someone else mentioned this but the Orioles are slightly tweaking their jerseys. https://uni-watch.com/2024/01/25/our-first-look-at-orioles-jerseys-in-nikes-new-mlb-template-and-color/

They changed the sleeve trim I think in 91 after after they went to new jersey’s in 89. 

Oh man, I am down for the more cream/ off white jersey. 

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

They used the swinging bird logo on the spring training hats I think around 2018 or so. 

I like it a lot. Already selling a bunch. 

Should see the spring training hats any day now. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/31/2024 at 6:13 PM, NashLumber said:

Here's the story:

"... becoming chairman and majority owner, Hoffberger would tab Frank Cashen as Executive Vice President of the team in October of that year. Cashen had previously served as director of advertising for National Brewing, and was brought in, according to Hoffberger, to "sell" the public on the Orioles. In other words, before Frank Cashen became the architect of two World Series champions in Baltimore and one with the New York Mets, he was a marketing guy, brought in to promote the Orioles.

Under his direction, the team contracted Hollywood animation studio Quartet Films—a firm that had been creating characters for the brewer’s advertising campaigns—to create a marketable bird character for the club. Quartet, headed up by animator Stan Walsh, soon gave birth to an enduring brand. While Walsh is often given credit as the artist responsible for this bird, the work was actually done by Paul Carlson, who was art-directed by Walsh.

Cashen explained the process in his book "Winning in Both Leagues:"

…(S)peaking of raising the Orioles' image, history accepts that Hoffberger first sent me to the club to be VP of marketing, a position that I fully understood after working at National Brewing for four years. Coming with that assignment was a flood of ideas. "How can you change the opinion and impression the average fan had of the Orioles?"

One of my very first thoughts was that the oriole "bird" that was pictured on the front of the official baseball cap, and served as the clubs symbol, was too sedentary. It was supposed to be a small oriole, but it looked to me more like a tiny sparrow. Having just concluded a series of new beer commercials at National, the bulk of them being cartoon related, I had a couple ideas that I wanted to discuss with the Los Angeles advertising crowd. I contacted Stan Walsh, who had done some work for National Brewing. Stan had been a cartoonist for the Walt Disney Studios prior to opting for commercial work, and we had been fairly good friends. In short order Stan sent me examples of aggressive cartoon birds, one of which became the new symbol of the Orioles and was immediately transferred to the 1966 baseball caps.

Quartet Films, located in LA, had previously created animated characters such as Tony the Tiger and the Jolly Green Giant, as well as the Hamm's Beer bear.

In 1957, while working at Disney, animator/illustrator Carlson created 7 Up spokes-bird Fresh-Up Freddie. The resemblance between Freddie and the Orioles' cartoon bird is unmistakable:

FREDDIE_ORIOLES

The cartoon Orioles bird was unveiled just in time for the genesis of one of the greatest eras that any franchise has ever experienced. The “smiling bird” served as witness to three World Series championships: 1966, 1970, and 1983. This golden era also saw the team win American League pennants in 1969, 1971, and 1979."

https://www.toddradom.com/blog/frank-cashen-fresh-up-freddie-and-the-birth-of-the-orioles-cartoon-bird#:~:text=Louis Browns moved to Baltimore,Baltimore Sun cartoonist Jim Hartzell.

Wonder if these guys were a part of that advertising campaign Cashen initiated at National?  Or even the winking Mr. Boh?

https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/images1/1/0211/03/national-bohemian-beer-el-boh_1_9378d170a61d42ed27b769dd909b97db.jpg

9353425120_8a684e7c7a_z.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Classics.

Edited by drjohnnyfever1
  • Upvote 1

I'm digging the new "Creme/offwhite" colors on the uniform. At least I think I do. lol.

Still not a fan of that giant Nike swoosh on there.

As for the hat with the white panel and old Orioles logo, yick. Not for me. I still think the City connect hat but with the B being orange and perhaps an orange bill or orange stitching would be a great Friday night hat.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm digging the new "Creme/offwhite" colors on the uniform. At least I think I do. lol.

Still not a fan of that giant Nike swoosh on there.

As for the hat with the white panel and old Orioles logo, yick. Not for me. I still think the City connect hat but with the B being orange and perhaps an orange bill or orange stitching would be a great Friday night hat.

You're sure to dislike the T Rowe Price patch even more than the Nike logo.   I know I will.

To me, the best look they ever had, home and away, was in the WS era 69-71.   Note the cream colored home jersey with the orange numerals and black lettering on the back.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRuRL5Lt3Kuz_TrnJRMCnZ1970-brooks-robinson-baltimore-orioles-s

I expect we'll see the 1954 jersey throwbacks this year for the 70th anniversary.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, TonySoprano said:

You're sure to dislike the T Rowe Price patch even more than the Nike logo.   I know I will.

To me, the best look they ever had, home and away, was in the WS era 69-71.   Note the cream colored home jersey with the orange numerals and black lettering on the back.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRuRL5Lt3Kuz_TrnJRMCnZ1970-brooks-robinson-baltimore-orioles-s

I expect we'll see the 1954 jersey throwbacks this year for the 70th anniversary.  

No doubt I'm going to hate the patch.

Those unis were awesome no doubt. I'd love to see that retro look used more often. Hell, I'd still like to see them bring back the all orange unis for a game or two. 

image.png.3881119df6892d3511c7802e6d9e2507.png

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

No doubt I'm going to hate the patch.

Those unis were awesome no doubt. I'd love to see that retro look used more often. Hell, I'd still like to see them bring back the all orange unis for a game or two. 

image.png.3881119df6892d3511c7802e6d9e2507.png

Courtesy of Brooks Robinson's sporting goods company, back in the day.  Boog Powell reportedly hated the look.

Finally, Mr. Rosenstein, if your people are listening, lose the flag roundel patch on the left sleeve and put the swinging bird logo in its place. 😀  Also, if you're going to keep the Friday O's cap, fix the stupid upside down apostrophe, or better yet, lose it altogether.

Sincerely, your new pal,

Soprano.

1 hour ago, drjohnnyfever1 said:

Wonder if these guys were a part of that advertising campaign Cashen initiated at National?  Or even the winking Mr. Boh?

https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/images1/1/0211/03/national-bohemian-beer-el-boh_1_9378d170a61d42ed27b769dd909b97db.jpg

9353425120_8a684e7c7a_z.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Classics.

I can see that. Would not be suprised in the least. I know that the Cashen bit I posted mentioned some work a firm had done for them prior to the cartoon bird's introduction. 

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

They used the swinging bird logo on the spring training hats I think around 2018 or so. 

I like it a lot. Already selling a bunch. 

Should see the spring training hats any day now. 

They sure did. I have two of them. Only difference is the white and orange borders are absent on the '18 spring training hats. 

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I still think the City connect hat but with the B being orange and perhaps an orange bill or orange stitching would be a great Friday night hat.

THAT would be very, very impressive. Make it so, Warehouse!

On 1/30/2024 at 6:44 PM, Snutchy said:

I want it. May just be a spring training hat. 

IMG_8907.thumb.jpeg.a26263bd4d97050b443c52c01dad0dd6.jpeg

Weird! A world’s colliding montage…and yet…if this is real I’m buying one. It will go with my other 95+ O’s hats. I have a problem. But I’m okay with it.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

They sure did. I have two of them. Only difference is the white and orange borders are absent on the '18 spring training hats. 

Right.  Not exactly the same. 

These “clubhouse hats” are just a different style they have added over the years. Don’t think we ever see a player wearing them. Maybe someone like Elias. 

On 1/31/2024 at 7:03 PM, SilentJames said:

Oh man, I am down for the more cream/ off white jersey. 

I’m wondering if this is will be for home white jerseys for all teams and just not Orioles. Have to see. I’m assuming it’s all teams.  

Edited by eddie83