No Options Remaining

Bahama O's Fan

I honestly couldn't guess what percentage of Baumann/McKenna good Elias would need from another Club to exchange them for a similar player with options.

Probably something under 95%.    80%??

I did note Hollander/Palmer on the broadcast talking up Baumann's starting experience, but I believe that ship has sailed.    Hyde did have him right behind Burnes on day 1.

Watching Elias build this has been a long course digesting in real life what "replacement level player" means, and I think the next phase of that also involves these two guys becoming freely available to any Club sometime this year.

McKenna, Ramon Urias, Webb, Baumann, Cionel Perez, Tyler Nevin, Sam Hilliard, Nick Maton, & Cole Irvin are all the current controllable (through arbitration) players on the 40 man that have 0 Options

Edited by ScGO's
  • Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

And I think that gives them a leg up on the competition 

After what I saw today to go along with his career stats, I don't see Heasley making the roster. He's going to have to perform exceptionally well the rest of spring training to save himself.

On 2/24/2024 at 9:55 PM, ScGO's said:

McKenna, Ramon Urias, Webb, Baumann, Cionel Perez, Tyler Nevin, Sam Hilliard, Nick Maton, & Cole Irvin are all the current controllable (through arbitration) players on the 40 man that have 0 Options

Coloumbe as well.

The only ST battles are Hilliard vs. Mckenna, and Maton vs. Nevin(only if we decide to keep Holliday down).  If Wells, and Irvin, are in the rotation then I don't see us DFA'ing any relief depth(Baumann, Webb) to start the year.  

I really like Webb.  I'm interested in seeing what Baumann's velo is this ST because he seemed to wear down last year.  

Jo Adell is a fun one on the Opening Day opponents.    Is Aaron Hicks there to help him, or does his signing indicate Perry Minasian has given up?    Lot of tools that have only ever known Angels player development.

I joke predict MLB will find a way to give the Astros another option on Forrest Whitley.    

50 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Jo Adell is a fun one on the Opening Day opponents.    Is Aaron Hicks there to help him, or does his signing indicate Perry Minasian has given up?    Lot of tools that have only ever known Angels player development.

I joke predict MLB will find a way to give the Astros another option on Forrest Whitley.    

Anyone have the Just Regular decoder ring on this one? :D

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, oriole said:

If Mateo can play a decent CF then you can say goodbye to McKenna and Hilliard.

McKenna for sure, Hilliard could still make it as a 5th outfielder type if they don't want Cowser sitting on the bench.

Kjerstad will be the 4th OF/DH so there is still a chance for left-handed hitting outfielder to spell Hays against a tough righty and be a defensive replacement for Kjestad or Santander late in games. 

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Anyone have the Just Regular decoder ring on this one? :D

I was kind of wrong forum.    I was wondering if Elias might play for Jo Adell ala Jorge Mateo as a tooled-up guy...some other team I think will if the Angels expose him.    

I don't think Elias would win a bid during DFA, or Adell would get to us if he becomes a straight waiver claim.

Around the time when GM's have to try with their Jo Adell type guys could also be around the time Elias tries to get McKenna or Baumann to Norfolk, if they agreed to keep working there.

Elias may like Sam Hilliard better anyway.