Assuming he starts the year at AAA, how would you utilize Coby Mayo?

Jim'sKid26

11 minutes ago, The Goob said:

Mayo's size and foot speed would seem to indicate that long term his best fit may be at first. 

I wonder how much this "truism" is what pegion-holed scouts into thinking Mayo can stick at 3B?  

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

Body comp figures heavily into Sig's evaluation system.

And yet...  Mayo is still hanging on at 3B.  

Define heavily.  More than reflex?  More than arm strength?  More than his MiLB errors?  I'm sure it plays a role.  But it's not the final say.

3 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

And yet...  Mayo is still hanging on at 3B.  

Define heavily.  More than reflex?  More than arm strength?  More than his MiLB errors?  I'm sure it plays a role.  But it's not the final say.

It was never a "final say" for scouts either though.  It's perfectly reasonable to look at a guy with Mayo's size and say it would be unusual for him to be a good 3b.

I know Tony is high on his ability to stick at 3b.  I'm far more skeptical.  Jim Thome played 500 games at 3b in the majors, but I'm sure we'd all agree he was not best suited for 3b.

This I know we get all excited by the complimentary quotes from Hyde.  I just want to point out that Mayo has started all of 4 games at 3B this spring, according to @DirtyBird’s spreadsheet.   Obviously he’s also working on the back fields, so I’m not suggesting that the 4 games are the only basis for Hyde’s comments.  But the truth is, we don’t have a ton to go on here.   We spend all winter waiting for spring training so there’s a tendency to want to jump to conclusions based on the first handful of games.  I think a lot more will go into the decision as to whether and when Mayo can play 3B well enough to be our best overall option there.

19 hours ago, forphase1 said:

I'm sold.   Holliday at 2nd, Gunnar SS, Mayo 3rd, Westburg super utility spelling at 2nd/3rd as needed,  all 4 sharing starts through the week.   Mateo/Urias off the roster.   Make it happen.   

If Holliday weren't in this org, we'd all be jumping up and down that Mayo should start the year on the roster and contend for the ROY award. You can't tell me that we're better with Urias than him.

I get that it'll be tough having all of Holliday, Mayo, Cowser and Kjerstad graduate in the same year from a future contracts perspective, but I want Mayo on the ML roster on opening day. 

And while I think 2024 could be great for the Orioles, I think 2025 will be amazing.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Pickles said:

It was never a "final say" for scouts either though.  It's perfectly reasonable to look at a guy with Mayo's size and say it would be unusual for him to be a good 3b.

I know Tony is high on his ability to stick at 3b.  I'm far more skeptical.  Jim Thome played 500 games at 3b in the majors, but I'm sure we'd all agree he was not best suited for 3b.

It's a truism for a reason.  Size is a factor that contributes/limits other skills.  Sure, it's reasonable and passes the sniff test.  Kinda like short pitchers and 90 mph FBs.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m guessing there is zero chance the team only goes with 12 pitchers?  That would be helpful. 

I think you probably could for the first ten days of the season.  We don't need a fifth starter until April 7th. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

It's a truism for a reason.  Size is a factor that contributes/limits other skills.  Sure, it's reasonable and passes the sniff test.  Kinda like short pitchers and 90 mph FBs.

Can someone please tell Marcus Stroman (5'7") that he's not allowed to throw over 90?

OD Mayo would be very fun, and it would be a compensation if they park Holliday for the first part of the year.

I could even see the angle of Mayo's defensive rookie integration being time sensitive.    Coby Mayo is going to hit some for the Orioles in 2024, but it is unclear if we want him defending 3B at the end of the year.     It needs data, and AAA hitters don't scald the ball at the hot corner the way MLB Bats do.

It also fits from an asset scarcity angle - the extra year of a player like Mayo something the Club has more ongoing access to than the extra year of a player like Holliday.

2 hours ago, Just Regular said:

OD Mayo would be very fun, and it would be a compensation if they park Holliday for the first part of the year.

I could even see the angle of Mayo's defensive rookie integration being time sensitive.    Coby Mayo is going to hit some for the Orioles in 2024, but it is unclear if we want him defending 3B at the end of the year.     It needs data, and AAA hitters don't scald the ball at the hot corner the way MLB Bats do.

It also fits from an asset scarcity angle - the extra year of a player like Mayo something the Club has more ongoing access to than the extra year of a player like Holliday.

Yeah that’s why I don’t see us bringing Mayo up until September. That way the bat plays, he comes in hungry. Maybe we get a deal at the deadline for Urias, Hays or Santander and that will free up spots for the youngsters. We will see Mayo this year but I don’t think we burn a year to push out a former gold glover even if means the bat isn’t the same as Mayo’s. Defense is paramount to Hyde.

Mayo is a lot more valuable if he is a 3B than if he is a 1B or RF.   If he goes to Norfolk I think he should be given as much opportunity to develop his defensive skills at 3B as possible.  Only if it becomes apparent that he is stretched defensively at 3B does it make sense to have him play 1B or RF.   The O's have depth at 1B and RF in any case.  

Just now, Three Run Homer said:

Mayo is a lot more valuable if he is a 3B than if he is a 1B or RF.   If he goes to Norfolk I think he should be given as much opportunity to develop his defensive skills at 3B as possible.  Only if it becomes apparent that he is stretched defensively at 3B does it make sense to have him play 1B or RF.   The O's have depth at 1B and RF in any case.  

And the same goes for Basallo, too.  Once he is healthy enough to catch, he should catch.