My firsthand spring training observations, 2024

Frobby

10 hours ago, interloper said:

In Roch's blog after the game, Burnes basically said he was like only throwing his cutter exclusively at one point to work on it. Hopefully he's just one of those weird spring training guys that doesn't try to get results, he just tinkers. I certainly hope that's the case or we are boned. Overall, I'm not too worried about it. 

That is definitely the vibe that I've gotten from his Spring Training. The games don't count so he's been using them to tinker and gather information. He's a far better pitcher than any of his spring training statistics would suggest. He knows his spot on the roster is secure and spring exhibition games are a good opportunity to experiment.

11 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

Has Kjerstad had a hard hit ball yet?

Connor Norby sure has, I caught some of the game yesterday on MASN and his RBI single in the 9th was barreled. 

Only 11AB so far but batting .455 with a 1.083 OPS

14 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

That is definitely the vibe that I've gotten from his Spring Training. The games don't count so he's been using them to tinker and gather information. He's a far better pitcher than any of his spring training statistics would suggest. He knows his spot on the roster is secure and spring exhibition games are a good opportunity to experiment.

I have been similarly wondering about Burnes....after a pattern of pretty abysmal spring training starts.

I decided to do my own research to see what the data shows.  It wasn't exactly encouraging.  This doesn't prove anything definitively of course.............but it does make me concerned.

I went back to 2021 when he won the Cy Young.  And i have included his ST stats every year since.  He has historically dominated pretty well in Spring Training, especially in the Cy Young year.  2024 has been his worst by a long shot.

Maybe (hopefully) that is all meaningless.  It very well could be.  But I hope we start seeing some improvement in his performance soon.  Curious if others have a different interpretation of the stats (included in .png form below).

burnesSTstats.PNG

Edited by Aglets

13 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

Has Kjerstad had a hard hit ball yet?

I think he's close to breaking out, but I also think it's tough to find a spot for him on the roster right now. Cowser seems to be the more useful player at the moment, though I remain kind of skeptical about him overall. Guy's killed it this spring though. 

Right now I think the team takes 5 outfielders to start the year: Mullins, Hays, Santander, Cowser, and McKenna. 

20 minutes ago, Aglets said:

I have been similarly wondering about Burnes....after a pattern of pretty abysmal spring training starts.

I decided to do my own research to see what the data shows.  It wasn't exactly encouraging.  This doesn't prove anything definitively of course.............but it does make me concerned.

I went back to 2021 when he won the Cy Young.  And i have included his ST stats every year since.  He has historically dominated pretty well in Spring Training, especially in the Cy Young year.  2024 has been his worst by a long shot.

Maybe (hopefully) that is all meaningless.  It very well could be.  But I hope we start seeing some improvement in his performance soon.  Curious if others have a different interpretation of the stats.

burnesSTstats.PNG

I haven't looked but if I were curious, I'd look at pitch mix.  He could be tinkering with a pitch or two.  That's part of why ST stats are questionable. 

15 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

I haven't looked but if I were curious, I'd look at pitch mix.  He could be tinkering with a pitch or two.  That's part of why ST stats are questionable. 

Probably trying something from Irvin's mix, just be polite. 

59 minutes ago, Say O! said:

Attended this afternoon’/ (Tuesdays) game at Ed Smith vs Tampa Bay Rays.

• Yes it was the “A” squad for the Os today, but gosh do they ooze talent (and deep depth).  Aside from stars in Gunnar and Adley, you’ve got Westburg and Cowser in 8 and 9th hole today when in AAA they were top of the order and doing major damage.
  • Speaking of Westburg, he absolutely launched no doubt HR down the left field line in the first.  And roped a double to RCF later in the game.  While Westburg showed power in AAA, it hasn’t translated yet to MLB action so was nice to see him tattoo a few today. 
  • In person, Cowser appeared thicker/bigger in stature.  Especially notable next to Mountcastle who’s not exactly small guy at 6-4/230.  Appeared comfortable tracking balls in RF today, although none were tough chances.  He rifled a couple of line drive hits today. 
  • Mateo in CF but no chances
  • Wells was the starter and in many ways, it was vintage start from him, 91-93mph with FB, mixed pitches, worked fast, threw strikes, used defense.  Gave up (you guessed it) solo HR in classic Wells form.  As a starter, he always looks going 80% effort whereas as reliever can dial it up to 95mph.  Went 4 innings today and then wandered down to bullpen to get in some extra pitches because so efficient. 
  • In terms of the relievers, it went Cano, Perez, Baker, Webb today.  Cano and Perez in midseason form respectively. Cano sat 96mph, generated a lot of ugly swings, misses, and contact. Perez stuff was 95-96mph but with his characteristic wildness adventure sprinkled in.  Webb was off today, struggled with command, topped off at 93mph on stadium gun and got hit around some.  Baker at 95-96mph with distinctly over the top arm slot after slingers Cano, Perez, Webb.
  • Gunnar is as the kids say, “built different.”  He is so twitched up and tightly wound that even his throws to 1B during in-between inning warm ups are on a rope. His arm was fully on display during double play opportunity where Westburg fielded slow roller, had somewhat awkward pivot to SS, where Gunnar then unleashed a laser beam to get the runner. I think most in the stadium were surprised that he was able to get 2 there — but that’s why he plays SS and his standout defensive trait.
  • Mayo entered the game late and didn’t have any balls hit to him at 3B. There was poor cut-off where I couldn’t tell if Mayo was at wrong depth or if bad short hop throw from Johnson in LF, but Tampa runner was able to advance to 2B on throw to home plate (you would see big leaguers cut that and prevent hitter from advancing but Mayo short hopped and had lackluster throw to second).  Honestly it looked like the Os players were a bit confused on the play overall.

Ill be at the Wednesday night game and Thursdays prospect game so will plan to report in after those as well.

Thanks great report!

1 hour ago, Say O! said:

Attended this afternoon’/ (Tuesdays) game at Ed Smith vs Tampa Bay Rays.

• Yes it was the “A” squad for the Os today, but gosh do they ooze talent (and deep depth).  Aside from stars in Gunnar and Adley, you’ve got Westburg and Cowser in 8 and 9th hole today when in AAA they were top of the order and doing major damage.
  • Speaking of Westburg, he absolutely launched no doubt HR down the left field line in the first.  And roped a double to RCF later in the game.  While Westburg showed power in AAA, it hasn’t translated yet to MLB action so was nice to see him tattoo a few today. 
  • In person, Cowser appeared thicker/bigger in stature.  Especially notable next to Mountcastle who’s not exactly small guy at 6-4/230.  Appeared comfortable tracking balls in RF today, although none were tough chances.  He rifled a couple of line drive hits today. 
  • Mateo in CF but no chances
  • Wells was the starter and in many ways, it was vintage start from him, 91-93mph with FB, mixed pitches, worked fast, threw strikes, used defense.  Gave up (you guessed it) solo HR in classic Wells form.  As a starter, he always looks going 80% effort whereas as reliever can dial it up to 95mph.  Went 4 innings today and then wandered down to bullpen to get in some extra pitches because so efficient. 
  • In terms of the relievers, it went Cano, Perez, Baker, Webb today.  Cano and Perez in midseason form respectively. Cano sat 96mph, generated a lot of ugly swings, misses, and contact. Perez stuff was 95-96mph but with his characteristic wildness adventure sprinkled in.  Webb was off today, struggled with command, topped off at 93mph on stadium gun and got hit around some.  Baker at 95-96mph with distinctly over the top arm slot after slingers Cano, Perez, Webb.
  • Gunnar is as the kids say, “built different.”  He is so twitched up and tightly wound that even his throws to 1B during in-between inning warm ups are on a rope. His arm was fully on display during double play opportunity where Westburg fielded slow roller, had somewhat awkward pivot to SS, where Gunnar then unleashed a laser beam to get the runner. I think most in the stadium were surprised that he was able to get 2 there — but that’s why he plays SS and his standout defensive trait.
  • Mayo entered the game late and didn’t have any balls hit to him at 3B. There was poor cut-off where I couldn’t tell if Mayo was at wrong depth or if bad short hop throw from Johnson in LF, but Tampa runner was able to advance to 2B on throw to home plate (you would see big leaguers cut that and prevent hitter from advancing but Mayo short hopped and had lackluster throw to second).  Honestly it looked like the Os players were a bit confused on the play overall.

I’ll be at the Wednesday night game and Thursdays prospect game so will plan to report in after those as well.

Nice report.

My father in law was there today and will be at those games as well. Watching two games Thursday will be fun. 

I think they may even try squeezing in a minor league spring game tomorrow. 

6 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I think they may even try squeezing in a minor league spring game tomorrow. 

Do you happen to know if those scrimmages have actually started yet?  I’m heading down there tomorrow thru the 24th.

I went last year as well but it was earlier on in camp and the minor leaguers were only working out, doing drills and taking live BP. No games yet. The players didn’t seem to know what date they were supposed to start. 

I was there today as well. Very impressive game. I was impressed with the crowd, a sell out on a Tuesday afternoon. I remember a few years ago when I could buy a cheap ticket and then sit in an empty seat behind home plate with no problem. 

33 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I was there today as well. Very impressive game. I was impressed with the crowd, a sell out on a Tuesday afternoon. I remember a few years ago when I could buy a cheap ticket and then sit in an empty seat behind home plate with no problem. 

I noticed this too when I pre purchased tickets for ST games this year back in late January. There weren’t nearly as many open seats available compared to just last year. This is what happens when you start winning again!