Craig Kimbrel 2024

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

OK, I’ll be the devil’s advocate for Kimbrel.

Appearances 1-10: 0.90 ERA, .288 OPS against, 14.4 K/9.  1 walk in 10 IP.

Appearances 14-38: 1.57 ERA, .396 OPS against, 13.7 K/9.  8 walks in 23 IP.   

The guy is capable of being dominant for LONG stretches of time.  But he has periods - and he’s in one now - where his command goes walkabout.  

Appearances 11-13: 5 BB in 1.1 IP.

Appearances 39-47: 10 BB in 8.2 IP.

So, you can throw the guy in the garbage, or try to nurse him back to his next long stretch of dominance.  

The concern is going to be when the next “blow up” period is. And if that directly leads to the end of their season in October. That would be brutal yet not really that surprising.

Warts and all, we didn't acquire enough pitchers to bring the options better than him up to more than 12 or 13 for October.

Kimbrel and Soto are capable relievers in bad patches, but there's enough season left to keep trying them in hopes of finding better form.

Now is the Arms equivalent of not DFA'ing Ramon Urias or Cedric Mullins.

Sure I'd leave them off the playoff roster if it is 7 more weeks of terrible, but at that point who is the back group of your dozen pitchers?

Kade Strowd, Brandon Young, Keeler Morfe??     Webb, Coulombe and Grayson are all hurt and first rule of hurt pitchers is they tend to stay hurt.

You can cover an ALWC series with half a dozen pitchers if things go well, but an ALDS is likely to require 10 deep, and Hyde chasing matchups might go that far even in a shorter series.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

OK, I’ll be the devil’s advocate for Kimbrel.

Appearances 1-10: 0.90 ERA, .288 OPS against, 14.4 K/9.  1 walk in 10 IP.

Appearances 14-38: 1.57 ERA, .396 OPS against, 13.7 K/9.  8 walks in 23 IP.   

The guy is capable of being dominant for LONG stretches of time.  But he has periods - and he’s in one now - where his command goes walkabout.  

Appearances 11-13: 5 BB in 1.1 IP.

Appearances 39-47: 10 BB in 8.2 IP.

So, you can throw the guy in the garbage, or try to nurse him back to his next long stretch of dominance.  

I don't think there's a next "period of dominance" for Kimbrel this season. He was an all-star last year and by the end of the year was run out of Philly. From the first to the second half, his Ks decreased, and avg, OBP, SLG and wOBA all increased. He just doesn't have the stamina for a long season anymore.

Kimbrel has been given some rest during this current lull. When it comes to post season, we have SP options to throw into the mix.

the Orioles May Need to throw in 2-3 inning saves, if push comes to shove. Was hoping McDermott would be an option this year

Edited by Since1984

Kimbrel isn't going anywhere, to the dismay of some of you guys.

To @Frobby's point, he's capable of going on stretches where he's dominant and he looks like he's in his prime.  Right before the ASB, a lot of people here were saying that he was deserving of an All-Star berth.

What I don't like about how he seemingly needs to be handled at this point in his career.  Too many days off and he comes in and is ineffective.  Can't pitch 3 days in a row, or 3 games out of 4 because that's too much.  But he can't sit for too long because he can't find the zone if he's been off for too many days.  It's almost a vicious circle of sorts.  And now that I've tagged Frobby in this post, he'll probably tell me that my perception is incorrect.

Anyway, I am glad it's only a one year deal.

• Upvote 1

In modern baseball you need all 8 guys in the pen ready to pitch in meaningful games. Perez and Kimbrel failed yesterday. We’re down 3/4 of the top of our bullpen from last year. It’s showing. 

With McDermott hurt too, this is who we are. We just gotta hope the guys we have pull it together. Maybe Webb and Coloumbe come back. Maybe a miracle for Bautista. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

In modern baseball you need all 8 guys in the pen ready to pitch in meaningful games. Perez and Kimbrel failed yesterday. We’re down 3/4 of the top of our bullpen from last year. It’s showing. 

With McDermott hurt too, this is who we are. We just gotta hope the guys we have pull it together. Maybe Webb and Coloumbe come back. Maybe a miracle for Bautista. 

Maybe a miracle for Bautista.  Next year, hopefully not a repeat of Means

9 hours ago, Uli2001 said:

I don't think there's a next "period of dominance" for Kimbrel this season. He was an all-star last year and by the end of the year was run out of Philly. From the first to the second half, his Ks decreased, and avg, OBP, SLG and wOBA all increased. He just doesn't have the stamina for a long season anymore.

That’s possible, but I think we need to test it.   Kimbrel really hasn’t been hit hard all season.  Opponents are hitting .173 against him and have a .280 SLG.  That’s dominant.  In reality, he has two problems: (1) he walks too many batters when his command is off, and (2) he can’t keep runners from stealing.   We when the walks get reduced, the stealing problem simultaneously gets reduced.   So I think we need to keep tinkering with him and try to get him in the right rhythm, even though the process may be frustrating and at times infuriating.   Believe me, I don’t enjoy watching Kimbrel when he’s not throwing strikes.   

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That’s possible, but I think we need to test it.   Kimbrel really hasn’t been hit hard all season.  Opponents are hitting .173 against him and have a .280 SLG.  That’s dominant.  In reality, he has two problems: (1) he walks too many batters when his command is off, and (2) he can’t keep runners from stealing.   We when the walks get reduced, the stealing problem simultaneously gets reduced.   So I think we need to keep tinkering with him and try to get him in the right rhythm, even though the process may be frustrating and at times infuriating.   Believe me, I don’t enjoy watching Kimbrel when he’s not throwing strikes.   

Exactly and one feeds on the other, if you even have decent speed those batters turn into Rickey Henderson, a walk becomes an automatic double. Put him in easier setup roles. Dont use him too often but not infrequently and hope he comes back around