Jackson Baumeister 2024

Frobby

The 63rd overall pick in the 2023 draft, Jackson Baumeister started his first game for Aberdeen yesterday and did not disappoint, hurling 3 scoreless innings on 3 hits and 2 walks, striking out 5.   Could have thrown a few more strikes (33/58) and been a bit more pitch-efficient, but we’ll take it for his maiden outing as a pro.  As the highest-drafted pitcher of the Elias era to date, he’ll be an interesting one to follow this year.  

• Upvote 1

Was happy to see the Ks but agree you want more strikes.  That’s only a 57% str%. 

Can he get to Bowie this year?  Obviously to do that, not only will he have to perform well but he will have to show he can be more efficient and get deeper into games. I like that he is already throwing about 60 pitches.  That makes me think that he should be around 80-90 by mid May.

Should have a good idea of where he is and what he needs to work on by that time.

I saw some of the prospect guys on twitter talk him up some during the offseason. I know Tony liked some of the reports he received on him too.

43 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I like that he is already throwing about 60 pitches.  That makes me think that he should be around 80-90 by mid May.

Just having a look at Aberdeen’s staff from last year, it looks like they didn’t let anyone creep over 80 pitches until June.  And, I only saw one start of 90+ pitches by anyone, by Kyle Virbitsky in September.   So, temper your expectations for how hard they’ll push Baumeister, who never topped 69 innings in college.   

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Just having a look at Aberdeen’s staff from last year, it looks like they didn’t let anyone creep over 80 pitches until June.  And, I only saw one start of 90+ pitches by anyone, by Kyle Virbitsky in September.   So, temper your expectations for how hard they’ll push Baumeister, who never topped 69 innings in college.   

Ok.  Thanks for that.

Wonder if him being an older guy who is a college arm will make any difference there?

Still, even if he is only 70-80 pitches by then, we should still start getting some idea about him and how far he can go this season.

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Ok.  Thanks for that.

Wonder if him being an older guy who is a college arm will make any difference there?

Still, even if he is only 70-80 pitches by then, we should still start getting some idea about him and how far he can go this season.

I would imagine we'll see him in the 75-85 range by May. They'll probably settle him into that range, though the seem to have a system where a they'll have them only throw 30-50 pitches once in awhile.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Ok.  Thanks for that.

I’m guessing they’ll aim for about 100 innings this year.  If things go well, maybe the last 30-40 in Bowie.   Here’s a  list of all the pitchers in the org and how many innings they threw last year.   Baumeister is actually younger than anyone who threw 100 innings last year, as this is his age 21 season (turns 22 on July 10).  

There's been a lot of comments, notably including Justin Verlander, about the scourge of arm injuries in the game. The gist of them is that the focus on max velo and max spin rates results in max pressure on the arm and ultimately more injuries.

I'm beginning to feel like the O's approach to player development might eventually work its way up to the majors, where you will rarely see guys even going up to 90-100 pitches. I feels like we're about to begin an era where most pitchers get 1.5 times through the lineup and then turn it over to the next guy. 

30 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

There's been a lot of comments, notably including Justin Verlander, about the scourge of arm injuries in the game. The gist of them is that the focus on max velo and max spin rates results in max pressure on the arm and ultimately more injuries.

I'm beginning to feel like the O's approach to player development might eventually work its way up to the majors, where you will rarely see guys even going up to 90-100 pitches. I feels like we're about to begin an era where most pitchers get 1.5 times through the lineup and then turn it over to the next guy. 

The bullpenification of the roster is already under way.  

Ok, I watched Baumeister's outing yesterday. I got like one MPH reading from the broadcasters and it was 93 MPH, but the pitch has good ride and he got a decent amount of swing miss. He got 9 whiffs in 58 pitches, which is ok, but I bet most were on the fastball. Showed an ok slider, and also threw a curveball and change (which he was not able to throw for strikes.) 

He didn't have great command of anything, though the fastball command was the best of the four. He's got a nice smooth, high leg kick delivery though.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, LookinUp said:

The person I listened to today attributes it to Mechanics. He was all about where the elbow is when the plant leg hit. Saying 95% of mlb pitchers have bad mechanics.

• 3 weeks later...

Baumeister threw 4.2 scoreless innings last night, 2 hits, 2 walks, 4 strikeouts.  He pounded the strike zone, throwing 49 strikes in 71 pitches.   In 14 innings spanning 4 outings, he’s got a 1.93 ERA, 1.36 WHIP, 11.6 K/9, 1.8 K/BB.  The walks have been high, 10 in 14 innings, but not crazy high for a guy just getting his feet wet.  Decent start for Baumeister. 

• Upvote 1

I feel like the reliever risk is high with this player. While he throws 4 pitches, it sounds like (from @Tony-OH's scouting) that he really pitches off a FB/SL combination. Command/Control is not great but the FB gets swings/misses. That's a profile for a reliever. What am I missing?

2 hours ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

I feel like the reliever risk is high with this player. While he throws 4 pitches, it sounds like (from @Tony-OH's scouting) that he really pitches off a FB/SL combination. Command/Control is not great but the FB gets swings/misses. That's a profile for a reliever. What am I missing?

He’s 21yrs old.  Plenty of development time ahead of him. 

2 hours ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Development.