O's Getting Hosed, All Star Reserves

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I don’t think anyone is suggesting that. We just wanted him yi be slot or below to try to go get salinas. 
    • From a Jayson Stark article on the deadline activity: https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5673477/2024/08/01/what-we-learned-from-this-mlb-trade-deadline-and-the-execs-who-drove-the-market/ So was the big news here the swap of Austin Hays for Seranthony Domínguez and Cristian Pache? Or was the big news actually: the two best teams in baseball made a trade? It’s my duty to tell you exactly how unusual this sort of thing is. So I asked my friends from STATS for some help. Again, they looked only at the wild-card era. And in all that time — three decades — there had been only one other trade, this late in any season, between the clubs with the best record in baseball at the time: Except that one other deal — Joey Gallo for Clayton Beeter (Dodgers-Yankees) at the 2022 deadline — was a minor Yankees dump Joey Gallo for whatever kind of trade. This time, it was two buyers who wound up buying from each other. So we’re officially decreeing this to be uncharted territory. And Dombrowski and the Orioles’ Mike Elias were exactly the right guys to pull this off. “Dave is just so in tune with his vision, and what he wants,” one NL exec said. “And he’s so in tune with what his manager thinks, and what his scouts think, and what his analytics guys think. And he’s just trying to piece his puzzle together within a four- or five-day window. Mike Elias is that way, too. And I think this is proof that you have to be that way.” The Orioles were that team everyone on the outside thought should “go for it.” But is that what they did? They traded for eight players. But “go for it” doesn’t describe what this was. Trading for Crochet or Tarik Skubal? That would have been “going for it.” But Zach Eflin, Trevor Rogers, Seranthony Domínguez, Gregory Soto, Eloy Jiménez, Austin Slater, Livan Soto and Cristian Pache? That’s about pitching depth and roster depth, plus some emergency pothole repairs for Domínguez, Soto and Rogers. It doesn’t make the Orioles the favorites to ride the parade floats. But it provided lots to chew on. “My take was, this was different than how they’ve operated in the past,” an NL exec said. “I felt like they were really conservative last year, when they probably shouldn’t have been. But this year, it seemed like they were a lot less conservative. So relative to last year, it felt like they were being more decisive…. They didn’t really go for it and acquire the best talent on the market. They were just more willing to make moves than they’ve been in the past.”
    • I hear you, but the big difference is that Mayo is the least valuable position in the lineup, and Basallo is the most valuable position in the lineup.  DH and Catcher.  I think Mayo will play the corners, and he can develop some feel, it just looks like the odds are against him starting a playoff game.  Even at 1B.   And that's why I would have Basallo ranked above Mayo.  Elias is telling us that Mayo definitely ain't a 3B by not calling him up.  But Mayo can still have a great career.  
    • Yeah, but you have to factor in that his time on the same team with Gunnar/Adley/Westburg/Holliday is more valuable than time when they aren't all together.  Plus, if it keeps Adley fresh then that is extra value.  Plus, we could have Mayo and Basallo go for the ROY in 2025 to win the pick.  
    • I can't believe some of you guys are thinking that Jazz Chisholm is something to be wary of.  Dude is way more flash than production.  As mentioned, .247 lifetime hitter with a .310 career OBP.  Maybe gets better cause of the Yankees mystique and who he's around in the batting order but he's not, IMO, a game changer.
    • This is more likely the case for 2026, not 2025. I agree with those who think Basallo will get the Mayo treatment next year. He'll only be called up early if he's setting the AAA world on fire, which is possible I guess. Still, he has defense to work on just like Mayo does.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now