Aubrey Huff: His Orioles Future...

Greg Pappas

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You think he'll accept arbitration?

Like I said, I doubt he finds $10M on the open market, as long as the economic atmosphere remains the same.

Everyone is quick to say we can get picks, but getting picks only really works when players are entering their prime or in the middle of their prime, looking for a large contract.

I think Huff would pick arbitration and it would be even harder to trade him with a higher salary next year then it would be this year.

Like I said, I doubt he finds $10M on the open market, as long as the economic atmosphere remains the same.

Everyone is quick to say we can get picks, but getting picks only really works when players are entering their prime or in the middle of their prime, looking for a large contract.

I think Huff would pick arbitration and it would be even harder to trade him with a higher salary next year then it would be this year.

There's no guarantee his salary would be higher. You're also guaranteed to keep it within a percentage of his current pay, and only a 1yr deal.

I have no problem with Huff accepting arb, I'm not sure we have a legit bat to replace him if we want to contend next year. If he doesn't accept arb, I think we can move forward, but getting him on a 1yr deal is not the end of the world.

There's no guarantee his salary would be higher. You're also guaranteed to keep it within a percentage of his current pay, and only a 1yr deal.

I have no problem with Huff accepting arb, I'm not sure we have a legit bat to replace him if we want to contend next year. If he doesn't accept arb, I think we can move forward, but getting him on a 1yr deal is not the end of the world.

There is no guarantee his salary, but at $8M, if he puts up numbers like he did last year, he easily could ask and receive $10M.

I would be shocked if AM trades Huff. It's about the last thing I expect him to do.

Whether AM gets Huff to re-up or not, I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

As for the idea that Huff and/or Scott would get us legit ML prospects, I seriously doubt it.

I'm sure they could get players called "prospects" but not anybody who would be a difference-maker.

At some point, you need to keep some actual ballplayers if you wanna win anytime soon. I think that's where the O's are now. The idea that they should keep kicking the can down the road, getting prospects for later, is a great way to stay lousy. Yes, we need an ongoing supply of MiL talent, but not at the expense of creating holes in the big-league team.

The premise is correct. But Huff's glove isn't good enough for him to be considered a core guy to build around. We don't need to get rid of him. But we should be exploring both the trade and FA possibilities.

I would be shocked if AM trades Huff. It's about the last thing I expect him to do.

Whether AM gets Huff to re-up or not, I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

As for the idea that Huff and/or Scott would get us legit ML prospects, I seriously doubt it.

I'm sure they could get players called "prospects" but not anybody who would be a difference-maker.

At some point, you need to keep some actual ballplayers if you wanna win anytime soon. I think that's where the O's are now. The idea that they should keep kicking the can down the road, getting prospects for later, is a great way to stay lousy. Yes, we need an ongoing supply of MiL talent, but not at the expense of creating holes in the big-league team.

He dealt Tejada and Bedard and you would be shocked if he dealt Huff?

I think AM will do what he feels is best for the team and it will be pretty surprising if he thinks giving a big extension to Huff is the answer.

I'm a huge Huff fan. Any way this turns out, it's a positive for us. Either we trade him for an overwhelming deal, offer arbitration and he accepts and is a productive bat next year or he declines and we get the picks. I think I'd rather go the arbitration route, assuming he accepts, and buy some time until Snyder is ready. A similar player to Huff in FA will likely be more expensive than arbitration with Huff. Plus, when we are supposed to be turning the corner in 2010, we don't need to be opening holes.

I think AM will do what he feels is best for the team and it will be pretty surprising if he thinks giving a big extension to Huff is the answer.

I agree, for the most part. But there are two things to take into consideration: 1. we're closer to contending now than we were then. And that's a big difference. 2. We don't necessarily need to offer Huff a huge extension. He's likely to max out around $10m for one year vi arbitration - and that's if he's very good this year.*

*I understand that Shack used "re-up" but I've got no idea what he means by that.

You bet.

Compared to Miggi and Bedard, he can't get diddley for Huff. Comparing Huff to those two is silly.

Whatever this team needs, a marginal prospect who's gonna makes no difference isn't it.

As for big extensions, who said anything about that. I don't think he'll cost that much.

You bet.

Compared to Miggi and Bedard, he can't get diddley for Huff. Comparing Huff to those two is silly.

Whatever this team needs, a marginal prospect who's gonna makes no difference isn't it.

As for big extensions, who said anything about that. I don't think he'll cost that much.

First of all, I am not comparing him to those 2...Just pointing out that if he can trade 2 franchise level players, he can certainly deal Huff...We know he tried prior to last season...We know he tried last deadline and we know he tried last August as well so I see no reason why we should think he won't try again this year.

If Huff has another big first year, he will probably be looking at a contract of around 3/30(similar to what Milton BRadley got)

If he has a so so first half, then there is no guarantee of picks because he may accept arbitration...So, going into the deadline, you have to think you would get nothing for him if he left.

So really, no matter the situation, you either are going to have to pay up a lot to get him or you are going to be looking at losing him for nothing.

Either way, I don't see how AM could not explore dealing Aubrey in July.

I am going to guess that AM isn't going to want to be locked into some 3 year deal with an aging Huff.

AM likes to make trades...He understands the importance of making trades to better the team..That includes financially as well btw.

First of all, I am not comparing him to those 2...Just pointing out that if he can trade 2 franchise level players, he can certainly deal Huff...We know he tried prior to last season...We know he tried last deadline and we know he tried last August as well so I see no reason why we should think he won't try again this year.

If Huff has another big first year, he will probably be looking at a contract of around 3/30(similar to what Milton BRadley got)

If he has a so so first half, then there is no guarantee of picks because he may accept arbitration...So, going into the deadline, you have to think you would get nothing for him if he left.

So really, no matter the situation, you either are going to have to pay up a lot to get him or you are going to be looking at losing him for nothing.

Either way, I don't see how AM could not explore dealing Aubrey in July.

I am going to guess that AM isn't going to want to be locked into some 3 year deal with an aging Huff.

AM likes to make trades...He understands the importance of making trades to better the team..That includes financially as well btw.

I never said AM wouldn't consider a trade, I just said he wouldn't trade him. The obvious reason is that Huff is worth more to us than he can get for him.

You disagree, that's fine. Let's bet: I say Huff doesn't get traded at the deadline. What would you care to bet? Sig lines for the rest of the season? Or are you gonna back-pedal again?

I never said AM wouldn't consider a trade, I just said he wouldn't trade him. The obvious reason is that Huff is worth more to us than he can get for him.

You disagree, that's fine. Let's bet: I say Huff doesn't get traded at the deadline. What would you care to bet? Sig lines for the rest of the season? Or are you gonna back-pedal again?

In a market where there's no unilateral action, where there are transaction costs, and where there are artificial time constraints, betting against the status quo is a dumb bet. Which you well know. Why pull it out like some kind of litmus test?

Archived