Seriously...what is up with Wieters?

Sports Guy

That's all well and good as far as throwing and blocking. Craig Tatum does that! We need this guy to be an impact bat in the middle of the order. Instead we have a guy who grounds out to second base.

Let's face it, if he doesn't become a middle of the order guy, it sets the franchise back a ton. That is not a stretch either.

This is undoubtedly true.

A major part of our plan for the future is having a big hitting catcher making not too much money over the next 5 seasons. Wieters settling in as anything in the 700s routinely would be a major disappointment. Him only being in the mid 800s would still be a bit below many expectations, and those expectations were not unreasonable in any way.

We're going to have to get lucky somewhere else with a position player bursting out to become a lot better than we thought they would (Pie?) if Wieters is just a decent catcher and not a game changer.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wieters lack of production at the plate is because he is tired. Its as simply as that. That got a lot of rest in July and he hit well. Buck has played him in 12 of 14 games since Buck took over. That is not enough rest.

Buck will figure it out in time. He evaluates everything. It just a matter of times before Buck starts playing Tatum more and giving Wieters the rest he needs.

I think its a bit overly simplistic to point to fatigue as the main cause of his recent struggles. It may play a part, but its letting Wieters off the hook to put a substantial amount of the blame elsewhere.

I think its a bit overly simplistic to point to fatigue as the main cause of his recent struggles. It may play a part, but its letting Wieters off the hook to put a substantial amount of the blame elsewhere.

His legs get tired; his bat gets slow. That is basically what is happening.

Wieters lack of production at the plate is because he is tired. Its as simply as that. That got a lot of rest in July and he hit well. Buck has played him in 12 of 14 games since Buck took over. That is not enough rest.

Buck will figure it out in time. He evaluates everything. It just a matter of times before Buck starts playing Tatum more and giving Wieters the rest he needs.

I recall an interview with him from ST, how he had slimmed down, eating healthier, etc...now I am not an advocate for unhealthy diets, but the game takes its toll, over the course of a season, most catchers work to maintain their weight. I just wonder if he needs to bulk up a little, despite his size.

I recall an interview with him from ST, how he had slimmed down, eating healthier, etc...now I am not an advocate for unhealthy diets, but the game takes its toll, over the course of a season, most catchers work to maintain their weight. I just wonder if he needs to bulk up a little, despite his size.

I wonder how that would affect the dynamics of his defense and his stance. Would a bigger, yet healthier profile reduce the length of his career behind the plate?

His legs get tired; his bat gets slow. That is basically what is happening.

Really? Care to explain how awful he was in the first 3 months of the season?

He looks as bad now as he did then.

Really? Care to explain how awful he was in the first 3 months of the season?

He looks as bad now as he did then.

He hit .280 in April and Trembley played him too much. By May and June his legs were tired. He got time off in July and did better. Now Buck has played him in 12 out of 14 games and his legs are tired again. He hits better with rest. His legs are fresher.

If he doesn't have above an .800 OPS next year, it's time to consider Wieters a bust.

I think a new hitting coach could do some good and more rest, too.

It will be really interesting to see what Buck does with him in ST.

If he's an everyday starting catcher, and a league average one, then he can never be considered a bust.

If that's all he is though, he can definitely be considered a disappointment.

davearm = pwned!

Davearm never said that we had no right to hype a prospect or to believe the hype, just that no one is 100% a sure thing. There's always a chance that a prospect can fail, which is why they're a prospect and not a 2032 HoF inductee. It's why you play the game in the first place.

8 pages on how disappointing he is and not one post about how he's carrying the anvil that is the 2010 Baltimore Orioles around his neck? Up until the last two weeks, who on this team has exceeded expectations? Wiggington...Berken...Scott

And who didn't meet expectations? Jones, Reimold, Wieters, Matusz, Bergesen, Tillman, Millwood, Guthrie, Markakis

I may not be right, but I think the culture of losing just wore everyone down mentally and physically, and I don't think our coaching is doing anyone (particularly Wieters) any favors. His approach looks worse than slow to me. It looks lazy, off balance and flat out weak.

I don't believe that's the Wieters we drafted. I sure hope I'm right. I don't know, but I'm definitely not jumping ship yet.

Archived