93 Blue Jays

LookinUp

I was just watching MLB Network, and my goodness that team was good.

They had Ricky Henderson, Devon White, Paul Molitor, Robbie Alomar, Joe Carter, John Olerud, Dave Stewart, Tony Fernandez, Steib, Hentgen, Guzman, Morris, Ward, Stottlemeyer and more.

Writing this seems less impressive than re-watching what they put on MLB Network, they had several genuine HOFers who all came together to form the perfect team.

They were an interesting mix of young and old, and you flat out couldn't get the hitters out when it mattered. Any GM who wants to build a winner would do well to look at the mix of talented young, and talented old. It obviously worked.

Yeah, he'll never be forgiven in Baltimore, and he shouldn't be.

I do have a feeling that the Jays will take a step back this year though, not just a little bit because Gaston's retiring.

Except for the fact that Mussina warmed up on his own and knew he wasn't going to pitch..Still made for a fun rivalry though.

During that era, the Jays really had the O's number..We just couldn't beat them when it mattered. 1989 being the most heartbreaking of course.

Before I knew any better, this Blue Jays team was my favorite growing up and the reason why I began to love baseball. I watched the entire postseason with my dad that year and had the entire lineup memorized.

Then, reality sunk in and began to like the Orioles ;)

I remember that their lineup was in order of position by pure coincidence.

LF

CF

DH

RF

1B

2B

SS

3B

C

Worse than the Yankees. I still hate the Blue Jays much more than the Yankees.

At the time they were definitely worse than the Yankees. I don't hate them like I used to but I every time I hear their name it's impossible to not think of things like the final weekend in 1989, '92, '93, Cito Sucks and purchased championships.

One thing I do love about them, though...the Skydome (I still call it that) was completed in time for the 1989 season and at the time it was hailed as the end-all, be-all of baseball stadiums. The retractable roof was a huge deal, the in house hotel, the Hard Rock Cafe...all of those things were considered as state of the art, even thought they were still playing on turf.

Three years later, OPACY comes along and totally redefines what a baseball stadium should be, practically every team in the big leagues gets a copycat of the look/feel of OPACY and SkyDome is suddenly outdated. Every time I watch a game from Skydome I'm transported back to 80's baseball, cookie cutter looking concrete boring stadiums and astroturf. Skydome, at one time was among the crown jewels of MLB stadiums, now I'd imagine everyone regards it at near the bottom of anyones ballpark list.

Meanwhile, OPACY, headed into it's 19th(!!) year is still going strong and will go down in history as a classic.

Archived