Jeter to Retire After 2014 Season

Can_of_corn

Why ???

All it does is confirm that in addition to whatever preferential treatment that Jeter already gets, ...

I know that this is an Orioles board, but he deserves it.

Did Cal get fat pitches to hit at 2130 and 2131? Did he get fat pitches in his last all star game? I was sitting 6 rows behind home plate for Cal's last game and I guarantee you that they were throwing batting practice to the man. He didn't hit a HR then (he really was done at that point), but I'd bet my last dollar that Cal got exactly the same treatment, or more, that Jeter's getting now.

That's what the all-time great ambassadors for the game should get, especially in an All Star game.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Since Jeter and Ripken played their entire careers in the same division, another note of interest is that Jeter had the "advantage" of playing 282 games vs. the 1995-2014 Orioles (who have won 1,477 games during Jeter's 20-year career). Jeter enjoyed good stats (.301/.369/.436.805) against us. Cal, meanwhile, had to play 246 games against a Yankees team that won 1,725 games during Cal's 20-year run (1982-2001; I didn't include 1981 since Cal didn't play much). Cal's stats were OK (.266/.326/.436/.762) vs. NY, but obviously he was facing a much tougher team than his own O's (the Yanks had much better pitching) during at least half of those years. Meanwhile, Jeter got to feast on the woeful O's and their god-awful pitching for a big chunk of his career. Otherwise they played virtually the same schedule every year, so that's a big positive factor in Jeter's favor.

Don't forget that offensive levels were significantly lower during Cal's peak years than they were during Jeter's.

WAR makes an attempt to objectively weigh different traits against each other.

I can look at Ben Zobrist and Miguel Cabrera and clearly say that Cabrera is the better hitter and Zobrist is the better fielder and baserunner. But I can't say for sure whether one or the other is a better player since I can't accurately judge just how much better Cabrera is at hitting or Zobrist is at defending or give any weight to offense vs defense.

WAR isn't gospel, and I don't think Zobrist was the best player in baseball over that timeframe, but he's up there. While 30 years ago he would have been seen as a fine player, but nothing all that special probably. WAR gives a better valuation than people who've seen him play a few dozen times.

Since Jeter and Ripken played their entire careers in the same division, another note of interest is that Jeter had the "advantage" of playing 282 games vs. the 1995-2014 Orioles (who have won 1,477 games during Jeter's 20-year career). Jeter enjoyed good stats (.301/.369/.436.805) against us. Cal, meanwhile, had to play 246 games against a Yankees team that won 1,725 games during Cal's 20-year run (1982-2001; I didn't include 1981 since Cal didn't play much). Cal's stats were OK (.266/.326/.436/.762) vs. NY, but obviously he was facing a much tougher team than his own O's (the Yanks had much better pitching) during at least half of those years. Meanwhile, Jeter got to feast on the woeful O's and their god-awful pitching for a big chunk of his career. Otherwise they played virtually the same schedule every year, so that's a big positive factor in Jeter's favor.

Not to mention the Ray's who were the worst team in baseball during most of that stretch, the last 6 years aside.

And I just can't believe that one of the most sure-handed shortstops ever (by fielding percentage) was also one of the worst defenders in the league. The two aren't mutually exclusive. And that someone with Jeter's athletic ability has one of the worst range ratings in history.

Jeter always played a more shallow SS due to his poor arm. This means he got to less balls. This also means that when he got to balls in the hole, he didn't have time to set his feet and throw the guy out....because he had a poor arm. Which is why he used the flashier (but not as technically sound) jump throw on those plays.

Jeter always played a more shallow SS due to his poor arm. This means he got to less balls. This also means that when he got to balls in the hole, he didn't have time to set his feet and throw the guy out....because he had a poor arm. Which is why he used the flashier (but not as technically sound) jump throw on those plays.

And when you see Jeter make that jump throw, you think he's made a play that other SS's who aren't proficient at that would not or might not make, when in fact many SSs would have made that play look routine by planting and throwing. At most, you might note that the SS has a strong arm.

Jeter has never gotten to balls hit up the middle other SSs would have made a play on, but it's hard to tell that when you watch him.

It's an exhibition game. So everyone must have known Jeter was going to get a

fat pitch. So it really doesn't matter what Adam W. said. Jeter is a player I can

have respect for on the Yankees. IMO

And as an Oriole fan, he is a player that I can be annoyed with, regardless of his long tenure as a star baseball player for the better part of 19 seasons, and his ability to stay out of trouble off of the field.

In addition to the seemingly thousands of times that he has arched his back to get out of the way of pitches that haven't come within a foot of hitting him, this is another reason why I have no problem viewing him as just another player on a rival team. Not so much because of what the title of the video insinuates, but rather for the faking of an injury/pain.

Oo

[video=youtube;9U9jttDSUCg]

My argument for this has always been would you rather have a slightly above average fielding lead off hitter?

Or would you rather have a great fielding 3 4 5 hitter?

You can break it down that easy. Someone who gets 200 hits a year, 30 doubles and 15 HRs (a lead off hitter), or someone who gets 175 hits, 35 doubles, and 25 HRs. (middle of the lineup)

Also in the power hitter they struck out less then the lead off hitter. So that means you are getting someone who in theory could have a much higher average any given year because the ball is getting put into play.

I will always value a 3 4 5 hitter more than a lead off. Table setters are VERY important don't get me wrong, but how many times have we seen runners sitting on base with no one to hit them in? Plus this middle of the line up hitter played SHORTSTOP. Lead off hitters have always been SS. More food for thought.

Idk why people are making this a big deal. If Wainright sat there and said "no, I didnt give him a war pitch on purpose" when it was obvious, everyone would have ragged on him for lying and this and that.

Now had he took the game/at bat more serious and struck Jeter out, then he would have got ripped for that.

Wainwright was in a situation where whatever he did, he wasnt going to please everyone and get ripped by the ones he didnt.

This day/game was about Jeter. Which is why the HOFers who passed werent respected which is brought up in another thread.

This happens alot and shouldn't be as big of a deal as ppl are making it.

Jeter was asked about.it and he laughed it off. John Smoltz was asked if Jeter should have been upset or something along those lines and Smoltz pretty much said Jeter should have been in favor of it amd he should have been.

The only problem I have with it, is Wainwright and the catcher should have went over this in the locker room, not on the field.

Idk why people are making this a big deal. If Wainright sat there and said "no, I didnt give him a war pitch on purpose" when it was obvious, everyone would have ragged on him for lying and this and that.

Now had he took the game/at bat more serious and struck Jeter out, then he would have got ripped for that.

Wainwright was in a situation where whatever he did, he wasnt going to please everyone and get ripped by the ones he didnt.

This day/game was about Jeter. Which is why the HOFers who passed werent respected which is brought up in another thread.

This happens alot and shouldn't be as big of a deal as ppl are making it.

Jeter was asked about it, and he laughed it off. John Smoltz was asked if Jeter should have been upset or something along those lines and Smoltz pretty much said Jeter should have been in favor of it amd he should have been.

The only problem I have with it, is Wainwright and the catcher should have went over this in the locker room, not on the field.

Good on him for that. I believe that that's the best way that he could have handled it, considering the no-win circumstances that he (like Wainwright) was in.

I just think it's over the top for each team to give him gifts. With Rivera it was understandable, he was the best closer ever IMO. Now every time a yankee retires, is there going to be a big celebration like this? ..

P.S... Jeter is no Cal Rip Jr.

I just think it's over the top for each team to give him gifts. With Rivera it was understandable, he was the best closer ever IMO. Now every time a yankee retires, is there going to be a big celebration like this? ..

P.S ... Jeter is no Cal Rip Jr.

Thanks for kicking our asses all of these years. :laughlol:

That's why they write things down and systematically evaluate those scribblings. Halfway paying attention to a Kansas City Royal may not be quite as accurate.[/quote

Hogwash. Alex Gordon would not be in the top 30 players selected by any knowledgeable GM or Manager. From 30 to 4 is a pretty wide spread. Those in the pocket protector crowd that want to defend WAR have to jettison defensive figures. They are less then worthless and lead to Alex Gordon having the 4th best WAR. No matter how hard the tape on the glasses gang tries, defensive stats will never be worth the paper or computer they are written on. The sad part for those that believe in these metrics, is that defensive stats drag down their whole argument. It reminds of when a political party has a wing nut in their party. They know he is a wing nut but can't say anything about him for fear of being called a traitor. It drags the whole party down. Give up defensive metrics, it drags the whole party down.

P.S... Jeter is no Cal Rip Jr.

I don't even agree with Rivera getting gifts. These are opposing teams giving gifts! It boggles my mind. As an Oriole fan he brought me nothing but misery. Now I will give him a gift as he is leaving? A swift kick in the ass on the way out is all he would get from me.

Archived