Comp B Lottery 2 PM EDT

weams

The six clubs that do not win a selection in Round A will be eligible for Round B. In addition to those teams, any other clubs that receive revenue-sharing funds are eligible for the Round B Lottery. This year, the Orioles, Twins and Mariners are in that category.

Six in nine chance.

2:3 Odds

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/137751752/competitive-balance-draft-lottery-2015

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It continues to amaze me that the Cardinals are somehow eligible for this. They have the 10th smallest market? I don't get it. Their media market is larger than Baltimore's and yet Baltimore is not among the 10 smallest markets.

And.... the Cardinals have won the second most WS titles (11) behind the Yanks (27) of course.

It continues to amaze me that the Cardinals are somehow eligible for this. They have the 10th smallest market? I don't get it. Their media market is larger than Baltimore's and yet Baltimore is not among the 10 smallest markets.

It appears that the ten smallest markets are determined by the size of the cities' TV markets. St. Louis' TV market ranks 23rd among MLB teams according to the list of markets in http://www.tvb.org/media/file/Nielsen_2014-2015_DMA_Ranks.pdf , once you add Toronto since the list is of U.S. markets only. So by that standard St. Louis should participate in the Round A lottery.

All the teams from the 10 smallest markets according to this list are among those in Round A of the competitive balance draft lottery -- except Baltimore. I don't know why Baltimore is not in the Round A lottery, unless Baltimore and D.C. are treated as one market (which would be inconsistent with the traditional treatment of TV markets) with no allowance for the sharing of that "market" by two teams. I know the Orioles traded a competitive balance pick that they won in the lottery, but did they agree to withdraw from the Round A lottery somewhere along the line? They were in it last year.

Including the teams from cities with the smallest TV markets has at least two obvious flaws. First, the size of a city's TV market, while largely determinative of the base from which many teams can draw, ignores the opportunities that many teams have to expand that base. St. Louis' success in building a regional fan base reflects in large part its distance from any MLB competition, its long history of sharing much of the country with the woeful Browns or A's, or with nobody at all, and its successful exploitation of that situation over decades.

Second, this approach ignores the divisional aspect of competition among MLB teams. It is important how a team's resources, as measured by the size of its city's market, ranks among all teams, but even more important how those resources compare to those of its divisional rivals. St. Louis is one of the 10 smallest TV markets in MLB, but it is the second largest in the NL Central (just a little bigger than Pittsburgh). That fact -- especially when coupled with the strength of the Cardinals fan base outside the St. Louis market and the historical dysfunctionality of the Cubs, the only NL Central team in a city among the 22 largest TV markets -- puts the Cardinals in a much stronger competitive situation than, say, the Orioles or the Padres.

It appears that the ten smallest markets are determined by the size of the cities' TV markets. St. Louis' TV market ranks 23rd among MLB teams according to the list of markets in http://www.tvb.org/media/file/Nielsen_2014-2015_DMA_Ranks.pdf , once you add Toronto since the list is of U.S. markets only. So by that standard St. Louis should participate in the Round A lottery.

All the teams from the 10 smallest markets according to this list are among those in Round A of the competitive balance draft lottery -- except Baltimore. I don't know why Baltimore is not in the Round A lottery, unless Baltimore and D.C. are treated as one market (which would be inconsistent with the traditional treatment of TV markets) with no allowance for the sharing of that "market" by two teams. I know the Orioles traded a competitive balance pick that they won in the lottery, but did they agree to withdraw from the Round A lottery somewhere along the line? They were in it last year.

Including the teams from cities with the smallest TV markets has at least two obvious flaws. First, the size of a city's TV market, while largely determinative of the base from which many teams can draw, ignores the opportunities that many teams have to expand that base. St. Louis' success in building a regional fan base reflects in large part its distance from any MLB competition, its long history of sharing much of the country with the woeful Browns or A's, or with nobody at all, and its successful exploitation of that situation over decades.

Second, this approach ignores the divisional aspect of competition among MLB teams. It is important how a team's resources, as measured by the size of its city's market, ranks among all teams, but even more important how those resources compare to those of its divisional rivals. St. Louis is one of the 10 smallest TV markets in MLB, but it is the second largest in the NL Central (just a little bigger than Pittsburgh). That fact -- especially when coupled with the strength of the Cardinals fan base outside the St. Louis market and the historical dysfunctionality of the Cubs, the only NL Central team in a city among the 22 largest TV markets -- puts the Cardinals in a much stronger competitive situation than, say, the Orioles or the Padres.

My guess as to why the Orioles were in it previously but are not this year, is that they were one of the 10 lowest revenue teams at the time and are no longer one of the 10 lowest revenue teams. Unless they changed how market size is measured, it is unlikely that their market size ranking would have changed. I imagine lowest revenue teams rankings are more fluid, and playoff success bumped the Orioles out of the bottom 10. Still, it seems that the Orioles should have the Cardinals spot as the 10th smallest market.

TThis is a HUGE get!

What are the odds the O's actually select a player with this pick?

10%?

Of course I hope not since the idea of the O's having 4 1's and 3 2's has me giddy as a schoolgirl (who is worried daddy is going to drink away next week's lunch money).

Archived