Deadline Deal Orioles Mega-Thread

weams

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

You propose some deals?  Let's hear your thoughts.  It's always easier to criticize.  Not everyone can just ask witty follow up questions like COC.  The board would be boring.  

Fair enough.  Here are some involving our relievers:

Zach Britton to Dodgers for RHP Yadier Alvarez (21-High A), RHP Mitchell White (22-High A), and SS Gavin Lux (19-Low A)

Brad Brach to Rockies for RHP Yency Almonte (23-Double A) and 3B Colton Welker (19-Low A) 

Darren O'Day + 6 million in salary relief to Arizona Diamondbacks for LHP Cody Reed (21-High A)

These are nice returns and within reason, although I'm not sure LA would give up that much.  I'm probably being too generous on their end. 

21 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

Trumbo or Smith 

Smith for sure unless we are eating a lot of dinero.  

I'd ask for Julian Merryweather - 25 year old pitcher in AAA with pretty good stuff.  He was ranked outside of their top 20 by mlb.com to start the season. Flying under the radar but would immediately be our best pitcher in Triple A. 

1 minute ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

I've seen some talk about trading O'Day. I'd honestly rather hold onto him. He's been on again off again injured past couple years. Maybe that will continue, but I think he's got the type of game that could age well and I don't want to sell low and salary dump him. 

Being able to avoid injuries is part of aging well.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Being able to avoid injuries is part of aging well.

Certainly true. I just feel like he has more potential value to us with Givens (if we trade Brach and Britton) then if we just dump him. But that's probably because I'm inclined to believe he could get healthy and produce. 

2 minutes ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

Certainly true. I just feel like he has more potential value to us with Givens (if we trade Brach and Britton) then if we just dump him. But that's probably because I'm inclined to believe he could get healthy and produce. 

I don't see any value in letting him go in a straight salary dump.

I was slower than most to acknowledge that this team should trade valuable assets for players that would build the team's future prospects. Now I'm in the process of changing my mind, and thinking that it would be better to make these deals in the off-season. Here's why.

The only real valuable asset that can be moved before the deadline is Britton. I recognize that Britton's trade value should be higher now than after the season (twice as many pennant races/playoffs), but I see some problems with the timing of a deadline deal. First, while Britton has pitched more like the 2016 model with each outing, nobody is going to trade for him now with certainty that he is all the way back, or with confidence he can go out there and pitch an inning every day there's a close game. (I've read that the Dodgers have expressed that concern, though it may just be posturing.) There's just not enough time to build that confidence in buyers over the next ten days. Second, this organization is not built to make a quick decision on trading a valuable guy like Britton; if it has to act within a day or two, it may screw things up. For both these reasons (and recognizing Britton's performance may go down over the rest of the season), I think we are likely to do at least as well, or almost as well, trading Britton in the off-season.

Finally, figuring out what we want to get back for Britton should, IMO, be part of a strategy that depends on what we're trying to do. From what I read, there doesn't seem to be much prospect of getting before the deadline what we really need: starting pitching that will help now or soon. If we can't get starting pitching, what do we want? A CFer? A speedy corner OFer? A third baseman? A shortstop? I think the team can make more intelligent and informed decisions about those things in the off-season.

Which brings us to Manny. To me, it makes little sense to start a serious rebuilding process without knowing what will happen with Manny. I don't know whether it's realistic to think that ownership will allow Manny to be traded during the off-season if there's no agreement or near-agreement reached with him about an extension, but I'd like to think that can happen. I think it would be better deciding what to do with Britton and Brach at the same time there's a decision (or at least some progress toward a decision) about Manny. I recognize we may give up something by waiting, but at least we will have -- or might have -- a plan that would help us decide what we want back, and time to get ownership on board with executing that plan.  

I doubt there will be a terrific offer for Brach, but if there is, then move him.  Same with Seth Smith or Castillo if we can get something for one of them, go ahead.  

Meanwhile, I wouldn't mind seeing what this team can do in the next couple of months. I certainly don't think this team is going to the playoffs. No more than a 5-10 percent probability, tops. On the other hand, I think it's quite possible the starting pitching will improve significantly. If the three top starters can pitch somewhere around league average, and Miley can be better than terrible, this team will win some games. It could finish above .500 and get close to the wild card. It might be fun to watch them down the stretch, as it's been the last few nights, especially if some of the MiL standouts get called up and see some action.  

One other point that I don't recall seeing made, at least recently. As those who follow the team real closely may have noticed, our starters don't pitch deep into games. We still win some of those games -- and can win a lot of them, maybe, if our starters improve -- with a deep and good bullpen. If we deplete the bullpen, we may be OK with Givens closing and O'Day or Castro or Wright or Bleier setting up. But we'll be turning lots of games that are winnable over to AAA pitchers who will make many of them unwinnable. A non-contending team doesn't need an elite closer, but a deep bullpen has real value to a team with weak starting pitching. We will take a hit if we give up that depth.

38 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Fair enough.  Here are some involving our relievers:

Zach Britton to Dodgers for RHP Yadier Alvarez (21-High A), RHP Mitchell White (22-High A), and SS Gavin Lux (19-Low A)

Brad Brach to Rockies for RHP Yency Almonte (23-Double A) and 3B Colton Welker (19-Low A) 

Darren O'Day + 6 million in salary relief to Arizona Diamondbacks for LHP Cody Reed (21-High A)

These are nice returns and within reason, although I'm not sure LA would give up that much.  I'm probably being too generous on their end. 

I would want more major league ready guys for Britton.  I think Alvarez, Stewart and Oaks would make sense.  Oaks and Stewart are ready now and Alvarez is big upside guy.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I just asked in another thread.  Do you think ownership will still approve of a limited sell-off when it gets to be the offseason?

I think it is very possible that he will not.

No.  I think they will give DD $25-$30 million of the money coming off the books and tell him to reload.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So there might actually be a need for a sense of urgency?

Yeah my thoughts exactly.

Good luck finding a RF, SS, and 3 SP for 30 million 

If they want to compete next year they need to get 2 MLB ready starters and an OF or SS from the trades of Britton, Brach, O'day etc. 

Archived