O's claim Travis Lakins, DFA Stevie Wilkerson

interloper

8 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Right now I'd put money on Mason Williams getting selected.

I agree, I think he's earned it based on his year last year. Also, it seemed like he re-signed this offseason rather quickly. So fast in fact that I felt like he knew he would have a role this year.

I think Wilkerson has value, just not with our current club. I really like him in the NL as long as they still let the pitcher hit. He can play multiple positions, has a little pop, and can move around the bases. He can pinch hit when you are looking for a homer.

Every MLB has grades and lists on their players and other teams, this is just a case where Lakins is rated higher than Wilkerson, its the way its suppose to work, bad team are able to acquire talent from better teams through the wavier process. This is the way we can see if our scouts are any good, its almost the same principle as watching the on field process. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

He’s still showing on the Red Sox 30 (#23) on MLB. Here’s what they had to say. My guess is he slots somewhere in our top 30

They acknowledge the team change but haven’t moved him yet.

This appears to be a good move

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2019?list=bos

He was removed from Boston’s top 30. But did not make our.

• Thanks 1

I like Wilkerson, I think he’s the kind of rags to riches story we all like to read. Having said that, he’s got his pension, he’s got his lifetime healthcare, he’s got about a seasons worth of major league money in the bank maybe a little bit more, and he’s young enough to move on with his life and get a real job.

I hope he earns his way onto a spot this spring, but if he doesn’t, it will be that someone else is better, and I’m OK with that as well.

58 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think we’re overrating Wilkerson. He can’t hit righties. I think teams already have guys on their rosters that are better than him. Everyone is at 40 right now. 

Wilkerson hit righties.  He didn't hit lefties last season.

3 hours ago, Philip said:

I like Wilkerson, I think he’s the kind of rags to riches story we all like to read. Having said that, he’s got his pension, he’s got his lifetime healthcare, he’s got about a seasons worth of major league money in the bank maybe a little bit more, and he’s young enough to move on with his life and get a real job.

I hope he earns his way onto a spot this spring, but if he doesn’t, it will be that someone else is better, and I’m OK with that as well.

Doesn't work like that, pensions work on years and months accumulated and healthcare is taken out of their pension per Dave Johnson, the ex oriole pitcher who had 3 1/2 years in MLB. Wilkerson has far less , and it takes 10 years to be fully invested.

4 minutes ago, REDMAN said:

Doesn't work like that, pensions work on years and months accumulated and healthcare is taken out of their pension per Dave Johnson, the ex oriole pitcher who had 3 1/2 years in MLB. Wilkerson has far less , and it takes 10 years to be fully invested.

As I understand it, one single day in the big leagues gets you healthcare, and I think 44 days in the big leagues gets your pension. Is that incorrect?

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

As I understand it, one single day in the big leagues gets you healthcare, and I think 44 days in the big leagues gets your pension. Is that incorrect?

It isn't that simple.  I remember a player who had a child with a serious illness and they didn't have enough service time for the child to be covered so they were torn between paying a huge amount for insurance or hoping they could latch onto a ML team for enough games to get fully insured.

5 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

He was not on Fangraphs top 34 they just published, he was listed among other prospects of note. He was #12 during their 2019 midseason update

Their comment:  “Lakins has 40 FV stuff — cutter, curveball, a lesser change — but a long injury history and fringe control. 

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/top-33-prospects-boston-red-sox/