Minor League K Rates

DrungoHazewood

6 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

I think we can blame this on 2 people...Tony LaRussa & Joe Maddon. Tony started it with the power/specialized RP's & Joe started the massive shifts which led to players changing swings, etc..

Blame?  The reason we've gotten to shifts and three true outcomes and eight relievers a game is that people decided to follow the information and the facts and the analysis. You get lots of money and fame for winning more, plus you don't get fired as often.  It was inevitable. 

If people don't like the outcomes of discovering the truth, then change the game so that those truths aren't as relevant.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea that’s a big no for me. Sounds painful.

I bought a copy because I heard it was going out of print.   It’s pretty wonky.   I read part of chapter 1 and put it aside.   But I’ll probably read it eventually.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I bought a copy because I heard it was going out of print.   It’s pretty wonky.   I read part of chapter 1 and put it aside.   But I’ll probably read it eventually.   

I don't think I read it all the way through at any point, but you can skip to parts you're interested in and use it for reference.  Especially to win arguments where people say "Hyde's a friggin' idiot, nobody should steal there." Well... here's what the Book says.  And the guys who wrote The Book really did their homework.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/leaderboard/weighted-score?xAxis=adj_target_date&yAxis=formatted_game_score&players=477132&date=2021-05-12

A perhaps favorite new toy of Tangotiger today rates Means up to 17th among MLB pitchers.

Favorite new toy my label based on him tweeting (excitedly?) this afternoon Cole is on the verge of overtaking deGrom for the first time in 6 years.   I haven't digested the stat fully, but imagine it aggregates Game Scores with park/Statcast/whatever adjustments, and outputs ranks.    As with anything he'd get behind for publication, I'm sure it's eleventy times more saber-sound than anything I'd do poking around Savant or Fangraphs.

14 hours ago, ChrisP said:

I think we can blame this on 2 people...Tony LaRussa & Joe Maddon. Tony started it with the power/specialized RP's & Joe started the massive shifts which led to players changing swings, etc..

I know people pay a lot of attention to defensive shifts and to our improved ability to measure the impact of defense on run prevention, but if defense is taking away more hits, shouldn't that show up in the numbers on defensive efficiency?  I played around with this data a couple of years ago (I think I posted on it even), and I found no upward trend in overall MLB defensive efficiency over the last 20 years or so.  

8 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

I know people pay a lot of attention to defensive shifts and to our improved ability to measure the impact of defense on run prevention, but if defense is taking away more hits, shouldn't that show up in the numbers on defensive efficiency?  I played around with this data a couple of years ago (I think I posted on it even), and I found no upward trend in overall MLB defensive efficiency over the last 20 years or so.  

Launch velocity, line drive rates, etc are up over the last decade+, but BABIP is mostly holding constant.  To me that means the shift is working.

We know, for example, that without the shift Chris Davis could still (possibly, maybe) hit .200.

On 5/12/2021 at 3:52 PM, panick said:

Whatever happened to guys just getting on base for the real power hitters to drive in?

Just noticed that the IronBirds have the following slash line: .217/.351/.311, with 22 steals and three homers in nine games. Maverick Handley has five steals a zero caught in five games.  He's the Rickey of catchers!

Maybe we just need to wait a few years...

Sort of on topic, I looked at the AA East stats to see if DL Hall was leading the league in strikeouts.   Turns out he’s not — there some guy on Altoona (Pirates affiliate) named Roansy Contreras who has 22 K’s in 11 innings.   And he was previously in the Yankee organization, with unremarkable strikeout numbers (229 in 260 IP). The Pirates got him in the Jameson Taillon trade.   What the hell did they do to this guy?