Trade Deadline Primer/Thread

Roll Tide

6 hours ago, billw76 said:

I think Mancini alone should get a #10 and a #20-#30. Add Lopez or Tate to a deal and we should get something decent. 

I seen someone mention David Peterson and Mark Vientos for Mancini and Lopez, I'd take that deal if it's on the table. 

I’d probably insist on Ramirez over Vientos. We have 3 infielders nearly ready at AAA (counting Vavra). I see no reason why Vientos makes sense. 

So you’d be swopping  Lopez for Peterson (3 years) and getting Ramirez for Mancini. You could probably also get Suarez. But, I probably wouldn’t kill it over that.

For me, I’d much prefer getting Hamel, Ziegler, Ramirez, and Suarez for those 2. 

You be getting Ramirez for Mancini and Hamel, Ziegler and Suarez for Lopez. 

I’m personally think this is what the Elias approach looks like. You could then send a player or two (non top 30) for Quintana. He looks like a Cashner clone the year we traded him for the 2 DSL kids. A mediocre veteran having a really good season.

Edited by Roll Tide

6 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Yeah, just seeing this a few minutes ago, but going to say this will remind some Mariners fans of the Bedard trade.

I wonder if Dave Cameron will come out of the ether to write a story about how Marte alone for Castillo would have been an overpay.

I'll take the 2022 hit for what this hollows out of future Mariners this decade.

Are you aware that Dave Cameron now works for the Mariners?

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Are you aware that Dave Cameron now works for the Mariners?

I was not, that's great!   I'd heard he left the Padres after a few years behind the curtain, which followed the many years I'd enjoyed reading him at Fangraphs.    I'd been hoping to see his name pop back into the blogosphere, but with the new gig more patience will be necessary there.

Mariners pitching, Castillo, depending on how they manage Logan Gilbert and George Kirby, might tend a little towards  YTD team strength neutral because all of their SP have done pretty well.    DiPoto faces some of the same puzzles Elias might have if Rodriguez and Hall were healthy and we'd used them steadily up to August.      It will be tough for Castillo to improve team's output much, similar to us if we acquire Mychal Givens, David Robertson, Joe Jimenez or some reliever with a strong projection who isn't a Waiver Wire guy in the next few days.

I guess SEA now closer to TOR/TB as favorites, but B-Ref's generous assessment pegs us at 34% this morning.    Maybe TB is the new weak link in that group, but feels like they could easily get a bunch of Tyler Naquins to raise that silly Bottom of the Lineup they have had to use in recent weeks.

5 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I’d probably insist on Ramirez over Vientos. We have 3 infielders nearly ready at AAA (counting Vavra). I see no reason why Vientos makes sense. 

So you’d be swopping  Lopez for Peterson (3 years) and getting Ramirez for Mancini. You could probably also get Suarez. But, I probably wouldn’t kill it over that.

For me, I’d much prefer getting Hamel, Ziegler, Ramirez, and Suarez for those 2. 

You be getting Ramirez for Mancini and Hamel, Ziegler and Suarez for Lopez. 

I’m personally think this is what the Elias approach looks like. You could then send a player or two (non top 30) for Quintana. He looks like a Cashner clone the year we traded him for the 2 DSL kids. A mediocre veteran having a really good season.

I'm ok with any of the prospects you mentioned from the Mets.

My only issue would be Quintana. Personally I don't have any interest in him or another rental pitcher. Yes he would help this season, but if we're giving up prospects for anyone I'd like someone with a little more control. Maybe Grenier or Blaine Knight type prospects for him, but doubt that would get the job done.

52 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Not super familiar with these guys.  Are Marte and Arroyo the equivalent of us trading Gunnar and Westburg?

Similar, yes, but not quite only because Gunnar is ridiculous and doesn't really have comps (Jordan Walker?) so he's the best player of the four you mentioned.  That said, Marte is a 20 year old, High A SS and is a Top 20 prospect.  He was the Mariners' #1 and is now the Reds' #1.  He is very special and, being a few months younger than Gunnar, could enter the same stratosphere.  Arroyo looks very similar but he's 18 and switch hits.  Stoudt is an interesting arm, kind of Baumann-ish.

Edited by Ripken