Elias & Mejdal - Time for job title promotions?

Obando

4 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I guess in the game of musical chairs we could hop on Click if Astros ownership beholds Elias like Mets ownership beholds Stearns.    I believe Stearns had an opt-out if Brewers did well this month, but is otherwise under contract at least another year, and in the aftermath of Mets Elimination, there was an early story Buck and the incumbent GM are good for 2023.    Plus who knows how much bloom is off Stearns' rose after the Hader Gambit blew up on him.

Tinfoil hat I do wonder if these Astros rumors would be smoking like they are if BAL's 2022 year wasn't such a success.

I believe on his hire Elias had what, like 12 hours to prepare for the Rule 5 draft.

I think the thing to watch for is if Mejdal goes to Houston. 

I had a look around MLB today to see what titles their senior baseball executives have.  

There are 15 organizations which, like the Orioles, only have one executive with a GM title or higher.   In those organizations, the titles are President of Baseball Operations (4 teams), Chief Baseball Officer (1), Executive Vice President (3), Senior Vice President (1), Vice President (1), and plain old GM (5).   Of the 10 who hold some fancier sounding executive title, 7 also have GM in their title, while in other 3, there is literally nobody in the organization carrying the GM tag.  

Then, there are 15 teams that have two senior baseball executives, the lower of whom has a GM title and sometimes another title as well.   In those organizations, the most senior baseball executive is sometimes just President (3), other times President of Baseball Operations (9), other times an Executive Vice President (3).  The more junior person always has GM in their title.  In 7 of those cases, GM is their exclusive title; in the other 8, they also hold some other executive title such as Executive Vice President (3), Senior Vice President (4) or Vice President (1).  

Teams are not always consistent in the titles they given their senior baseball executives.  In Detroit, Al Avila was Executive Vice President but his successor Scott Harris is President of Baseball Operations.  Conversely, in Miami Michael Hill was President of Baseball Operations but his successor Kim Ng is just GM.   In both cases, they formerly served under Derek Jeter who was simply President.   In Houston, James Click is GM but Jeff Luhnow was President of Baseball Operations.  

My conclusion about all this?   These titles have no consistent meaning throughout baseball.   Brian Cashman has been perfectly happy with the relatively lowly title of Senior Vice President and GM all these years.  Why?  Because the pay is good.  In my opinion, Mike Elias and Sig Mejdal probably care more about the financial terms of their contracts, and the actual authority they have to do their jobs, than they do about their titles.

I'm not going to say that nobody cares.  I noticed that the Mariners changed Jerry Dipoto's title from EVP/GM to POBO this year, and his underling Justin Hollander had his title changed from VP/Asst. GM to EVP/GM.   Whether that involved any actual change in responsibilities for the two men, I have no idea, but I doubt it.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I had a look around MLB today to see what titles their senior baseball executives have.  

There are 15 organizations which, like the Orioles, only have one executive with a GM title or higher.   In those organizations, the titles are President of Baseball Operations (4 teams), Chief Baseball Officer (1), Executive Vice President (3), Senior Vice President (1), Vice President (1), and plain old GM (5).   Of the 10 who hold some fancier sounding executive title, 7 also have GM in their title, while in other 3, there is literally nobody in the organization carrying the GM tag.  

Then, there are 15 teams that have two senior baseball executives, the lower of whom has a GM title and sometimes another title as well.   In those organizations, the most senior baseball executive is sometimes just President (3), other times President of Baseball Operations (9), other times an Executive Vice President (3).  The more junior person always has GM in their title.  In 7 of those cases, GM is their exclusive title; in the other 8, they also hold some other executive title such as Executive Vice President (3), Senior Vice President (4) or Vice President (1).  

Teams are not always consistent in the titles they given their senior baseball executives.  In Detroit, Al Avila was Executive Vice President but his successor Scott Harris is President of Baseball Operations.  Conversely, in Miami Michael Hill was President of Baseball Operations but his successor Kim Ng is just GM.   In both cases, they formerly served under Derek Jeter who was simply President.   In Houston, James Click is GM but Jeff Luhnow was President of Baseball Operations.  

My conclusion about all this?   These titles have no consistent meaning throughout baseball.   Brian Cashman has been perfectly happy with the relatively lowly title of Senior Vice President and GM all these years.  Why?  Because the pay is good.  In my opinion, Mike Elias and Sig Mejdal probably care more about the financial terms of their contracts, and the actual authority they have to do their jobs, than they do about their titles.

I'm not going to say that nobody cares.  I noticed that the Mariners changed Jerry Dipoto's title from EVP/GM to POBO this year, and his underling Justin Hollander had his title changed from VP/Asst. GM to EVP/GM.   Whether that involved any actual change in responsibilities for the two men, I have no idea, but I doubt it.

My question is whether the job “titles” can play a role in whether a person can move “up” or not to a different team. 

The Duquette situation was unique because the Toronto job is unlike any other. It clearly met the definition of moving up and yet the Orioles did not grant permission. 

Here's Ben Lindbergh five years ago (six seasons by the run of play) with a long piece on Club's intellectual capital.

It also has a fun singling out of Jorge Mateo as an example "mid-tier" prospect, a label that now perhaps fits a half-dozen Orioles infielders.

https://www.theringer.com/2017/2/6/16036642/mlb-cardinals-astros-hacking-scandal-front-office-secrets-144dbe8fac32

• 4 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

The Astros fired Click. They are going to want Mejdal

But is it mutual? 

Jim Crane sounds like a tool. He offered Click a 1 year extension after having to the ALCS three years in a row and having just won a World Series. 

IMO, he’s giving me meddlesome PA vibes. I’m going to enjoy watching the Astros crash and burn. 

If I were Sig, I’d stay far away. 

• Upvote 1

Would really hope we don't lose someone like Sig.  But at this point, I really hope the organization has learned enough about the importance of analytics, that losing him wouldn't be completely detrimental.  Our analytics dept should be ready to go on it's own I would hope.  At least we have a model down pat that just needs tweaks.

From what I have heard from a friend in the org, Sig builds these elaborate models that tells you who is a good player and who isn't.  Obviously placing certain amounts of value on metrics like spin rate and barrel % etc, over other stats.  But while that is supremely important, the model was actually wild about Brett Phillips from what my buddy told me.  So it works some times and not others.

I think Sig helps a ton when it comes to prospect drafting as it allows them to run the model on hundreds of players and really narrow down who they value.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Does he have the skillset for it?

He's obviously good at what he does but what he does is a small sub-section of what a GM is responsible for.

Dunno, but according to Chandler Rome (sorry, can't link to twitter from my phone or work computer), the Astros were expected to request an interview with Sig.  Maybe someone else can post it here.