Elias & Mejdal - Time for job title promotions?

Obando

39 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Sig to Houston would be a major loss.  

Well, it’s all speculation at this point.  Just Connolly saying that Sig “seems likely” to be on Crane’s short list.   Connolly doesn’t know any more about it than you or me.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You’d hope not, but people still matter.  

Sure..but if losing one person takes down your organization, you aren’t a good organization to begin with.

Thats not a reflection of Sig or anyone else..Tampa gets people taken from them all the time and they keep putting out good teams and brilliant minds.  

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Sure..but if losing one person takes down your organization, you aren’t a good organization to begin with.

Thats not a reflection of Sig or anyone else..Tampa gets people taken from them all the time and they keep putting out good teams and brilliant minds.  

Houston has survived losing Luhnow, Stearns, Elias, Mejdal, Rosenbaum.  So obviously it’s possible.  Not suggesting it isn’t.  But it may not be easy.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Houston has survived losing Luhnow, Stearns, Elias, Mejdal, Rosenbaum.  So obviously it’s possible.  Not suggesting it isn’t.  But it may not be easy.  

I think sometimes you confuse the word easy with just “the way things are and need to be”

If you are doing things properly, you lose people and keep on going.  Maybe the Os are established enough yet.  Who knows.  But they should be.

If it’s announced tomorrow that Sig is headed to Houston, I will be “sad” to see him go because I like that he’s here. I will, at no point, believe that it will hurt this franchise long term.

Elias is the key. 

12 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I think sometimes you confuse the word easy with just “the way things are and need to be”

If you are doing things properly, you lose people and keep on going.  Maybe the Os are established enough yet.  Who knows.  But they should be.

If it’s announced tomorrow that Sig is headed to Houston, I will be “sad” to see him go because I like that he’s here. I will, at no point, believe that it will hurt this franchise long term.

Elias is the key. 

I won’t know if it will hurt them or not.  I don’t know the talents of the people under him who could fill his shoes, or the availability of someone equally good from the outside.  They might exist and they might not.  

One thing we know: good organizations tend to lose some people.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I won’t know if it will hurt them or not.  I don’t know the talents of the people under him who could fill his shoes, or the availability of someone equally good from the outside.  They might exist and they might not.  

One thing we know: good organizations tend to lose some people.   

And those organizations generally stay good.  Do things the right way, you can withstand losses.

Now, with that said and going off of the purpose of this particular thread, the Os should consider re-adjusting the titles and making it harder for guys to leave.

Here's how Passan characterized Sig this morning in a long piece, the gist of which is Jim Crane living out Jerry Jones' best life.    Brad Ausmus was the other rumored candidate judged worth a paragraph, if Crane looks for someone more permanent than the elevated assistant GM keeping the lights on this week.

Mejdal was hired in 2012 as the Astros' director of decision sciences, a title that drew sneers at the time, but today illustrates how advanced the team was. A former NASA engineer, Mejdal is regarded as one of the smartest people in the game, adept at numbers and talking baseball. He joined former Astros scouting director Mike Elias, who went to run the Baltimore Orioles in 2018, as an assistant GM and has helped oversee the organization's transition from laughingstock to budding power.