HoF 2008 Who's in/out?

Bosibus

While watching the Phils/Cubs game last night they were talking about the Hall of Fame Class of 2008. In my opinion, this is one of the weakest classes in quite some time.

Of the Class, I think only two will get in. Names are Bolded. I think eventually McGwire will get in but only after the steriod controversy is somewhat put to rest.

As of the new class, the only name that strikes me is Tim Raines. He has the numbers, but I think he was undervalued throughout his career.

Is there anyone else you think could possibly be a HoFer?

Returning Names

Harold Baines

Bert Blyleven

Dave Concepcion

Andre Dawson

Rich "Goose" Gossage

Tommy John

Don Mattingly

Mark McGwire

Jack Morris

Dale Murphy

Dave Parker

Jim Rice

Lee Smith

Allan Trammell

New Nominees

Luis Alicea

Brady Anderson

Alex Arias

Andy Benes

Mike Benjamin

Dennis Cook

Delino DeShields

Shawon Dunston

Chuck Finley

Darrin Fletcher

Travis Fryman

Rich Garces

Chris Haney

Dave Hollins

Bobby J. Jones

David Justice

Chuck Knoblauch

Tom Lampkin

Darren Lewis

Mike Magante

Dave Mlicki

Mike Morgan

Rob Nen

Hipolto Pichardo

Tim Raines

Armando Reynoso

Henry Rodriguez

Lee Stevens

Todd Stottlemyre

Greg Swindell

Mike Trombley

John Valentin

Randy Velarde

Ed Vosberg

Mark Wohlers

Raines, McGwire and Blyleven should clearly be in.

Gossage should be in as well i think.

You think the voters who punished McGwire will be forgiving that quickly? I doubt he goes from being on less than 25% of the ballots to making the HOF in the span of one year

I think Gossage will finally get in. I would like for Blyleven and Raines to get in, but I don't know if they'll get the votes. I think one of Rice or Dawson will probably make it instead.

If I had to make a guess right now, I would say Gossage and Dawson.

Man, it's funny how when Dawsons career was winding down everyone talked about how he was a shoe in...I still kinda think he should be.

Gossage should be in. Raines....McGwire. Blyleven.

The Hawk made a lot of outs. His career HR total is impressive.

Man, it's funny how when Dawsons career was winding down everyone talked about how he was a shoe in...I still kinda think he should be.

Gossage should be in. Raines....McGwire. Blyleven.

My biggest problem with Dawson is his .323 OBP. Most didn't seem to care much about OBP during his career, so that's probably a big part of why he was considered better than he really was. A career 119 OPS+ is good, but not really HOF worthy for a corner OF unless they bring a lot to the table besides their bat.

To put that in perspective:

130 OPS+: Ryan Klesko, Fred Lynn

129: Keith Hernandez, John Olerud, Tim Salmon, Joe Torre

128: Justice, Rice, Sosa,

127: Alvin Davis, Dwight Evans(very underrated), Rickey Henderson, Kent Herbek, Bob Horner, Maris, Mattingly, Willie Keeler

126: Bench, Ellis Burks, Jeff Kent

125: Berra, Eric Davis, Bobby Grich, Santo, Bernie Williams

124: Bonilla, Jay Buhner, Puckett

123: Kirk Gibson, Jeter, Ray Lankford, Raines, Bill Madlock

122: Brian Downing, Banks, Hal McRae, Molitor, Tettleton, Tony Perez

121: Ron Cey, Cecil Cooper, Chili Davis, Mike Hargrove, Chet Lemon, Dale Murphy, Dave Parker

120: Baines, Jose Cruz Sr, Luis Gonzalez, Mike Greenwell, Gil Hodges, Paul O'Neil,

119: Sal Bando, Joe Cronin, Dawson, Dykstra, Darrell Evans, Fielder, Cliff Floyd, Mark Grace, Shawn Green, Chris Hoiles, Andy Van Slyke

118: Don Baylor, Ken Griffey Sr, Howard Johnson, Rose, Matt Stairs, Lonnie Smith

Dawson career WARP3: 108.8. That is borderline for the HOF.

You think the voters who punished McGwire will be forgiving that quickly? I doubt he goes from being on less than 25% of the ballots to making the HOF in the span of one year

I think that McGwire's votes will rise, perhaps significantly, but I don't believe he will reach 75% for several years, if ever. There is probably a hard core of writers who will never vote for him unless something comes out which proves McGwire didn't use steroids. Right now, most writers and baseball fans assume that he did, even though there's no evidence of it aside from his hemming and hawing during his congressional testimony.

My biggest problem with Dawson is his .323 OBP. Most didn't seem to care much about OBP during his career, so that's probably a big part of why he was considered better than he really was. A career 119 OPS+ is good, but not really HOF worthy for a corner OF unless they bring a lot to the table besides their bat.

To put that in perspective:

130 OPS+: Ryan Klesko, Fred Lynn

129: Keith Hernandez, John Olerud, Tim Salmon, Joe Torre

128: Justice, Rice, Sosa,

127: Alvin Davis, Dwight Evans(very underrated), Rickey Henderson, Kent Herbek, Bob Horner, Maris, Mattingly, Willie Keeler

126: Bench, Ellis Burks, Jeff Kent

125: Berra, Eric Davis, Bobby Grich, Santo, Bernie Williams

124: Bonilla, Jay Buhner, Puckett

123: Kirk Gibson, Jeter, Ray Lankford, Raines, Bill Madlock

122: Brian Downing, Banks, Hal McRae, Molitor, Tettleton, Tony Perez

121: Ron Cey, Cecil Cooper, Chili Davis, Mike Hargrove, Chet Lemon, Dale Murphy, Dave Parker

120: Baines, Jose Cruz Sr, Luis Gonzalez, Mike Greenwell, Gil Hodges, Paul O'Neil,

119: Sal Bando, Joe Cronin, Dawson, Dykstra, Darrell Evans, Fielder, Cliff Floyd, Mark Grace, Shawn Green, Chris Hoiles, Andy Van Slyke

118: Don Baylor, Ken Griffey Sr, Howard Johnson, Rose, Matt Stairs, Lonnie Smith

Dawson career WARP3: 108.8. That is borderline for the HOF.

Nope, you're totally right. I understand why Dawson isn't in...I just remember thinking when I was a kid that he'd be a lock...

Plus his former teammates and peers always seem to be backing him.

I don't think he'll ever get in. My support for him is purely sentimental but I know better...

EDIT: I also believed Dwight Evans was underrated, too.

Wasn't Dawson hurt early in his career?

His steal totals took a significant drop after 1983 and I remember someone talking about his legs being bummed out real early in his career.

I do think I just want him in for sentimental reason as well but only time can tell.

Archived