Hicks activated, Cowser optioned

MurphDogg

I don’t really think this factors into the decision with Hicks as I think his best OF days are behind him (specifically CF), but a big question mark for me next year is who is the back up CF? I think it would be prudent to have one not named Hays/Cowser as they just aren’t CF, even in SSS. So I could see a veteran signed for that specific purpose, as it is probably fair to assume Mullins doesn’t play 150+ games.  I just don’t see anyone from our MiL system filling that void next year other than McKenna.

1 hour ago, IPlayGM said:

I don’t really think this factors into the decision with Hicks as I think his best OF days are behind him (specifically CF), but a big question mark for me next year is who is the back up CF? I think it would be prudent to have one not named Hays/Cowser as they just aren’t CF, even in SSS. So I could see a veteran signed for that specific purpose, as it is probably fair to assume Mullins doesn’t play 150+ games.  I just don’t see anyone from our MiL system filling that void next year other than McKenna.

I know Hyde plays Hicks as a CFer sometimes.   I agree that he does not really fit that role defensively.   He is more a corner OF at this point.  McKenna does fit that role in CF.  And Elias could keep both players.   Or not.

Or maybe the O's make an effort to coach up Mateo to play CF over the winter and ST.   Mateo than could backup both SS and CF.   Probably not at the same time though.

Edited by wildcard

18 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

We had to pay Hicks the minimum due to the Yankees releasing him. I can't imagine Elias brings him back at full price at age 34. I'm going to say no way. Then again, I was surprised he signed Frazier and even at the minimum Hicks was a bit of a surprise.

What is full price for Hicks?   Plenty of teams passed on him at minimum salary.   I could see Hicks coming back on a 1 year contact for low dollars unless some other team wants to treat him like a starter and pay him Frazier money.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

The Yankees are paying him.

He's not getting all of the Yankee money plus money from the O's.  

I agree that he's a free agent.

I think he is getting additional money.  They have to pay him at least the minimum I am pretty sure.  They don't get him for free.  

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The Yankees are paying him.

He's not getting all of the Yankee money plus money from the O's.  

I agree that he's a free agent.

Looks like the Yankees may get a setoff for what the Orioles pay, so you would be correct.

"The Yankees are paying the remainder of Hicks’ seven-year, $70 million contract that’s guaranteed through 2025 to play for the Orioles, save for the prorated minimum salary—a great deal for the Orioles."

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

What the O's are paying him is subtracted from what the Yankees are paying him.

Now I see what you were saying re: additional dollars.  I wonder if a team could structure a contract for him so that the payments are on the back-end so Yankees still pay. 

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What the O's are paying him is subtracted from what the Yankees are paying him.

Haha.   That’s funny.  And wrong.  The Yankees released him and all other teams passed on him otherwise they would have assumed the contract.  Then he went on outright waivers and the Orioles claimed him.  The Orioles were only required to pay him  minimum ML salary separate and above what he’s already receiving from the Yanks.  Any contact Hicks signs with a ML team will be completely separate and above what he receives from the Yankee contract.

Edited by RZNJ