Gunnar Henderson 2024

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I do believe it's also a matter of time before his toe starts giving him issues or he pulls/strains something else while roaming the outfield.

I like Aaron Judge so I'm not rooting for him to get injured.  It just sucks that he plays for the Yankees but he's a fantastic player and seems like a good dude.  It's overall a net positive for the game of baseball to have someone like that.

He's still certainly dangerous but it wouldn't surprise me if after two seasons of over 1.000 OPS that he's reached his peak and he's entering a decline.  I don't think he'll ever be as bad as Stanton but I do think he's entering a stage of his career where he might be more injury prone.

Of course this is now a reverse lock.

Yeah, I think he's definitely past his peak.   Like you, I think he's a great player and definitely a good guy, too.   He's hard not to root for...but he wears pinstripes!  :)

I don't think the Yankees are doing him a lot of favors by playing him in CF.  He's not slow, but a guy with his body size has got to cover a lot of ground and I don't think that adds up very well.   

3 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I don't think the Yankees are doing him a lot of favors by playing him in CF.  He's not slow, but a guy with his body size has got to cover a lot of ground and I don't think that adds up very well.   

No they're not and I think putting him in CF is just a response to poor development and roster management on their end.  I don't think they want him to be in CF full time but they simply don't have anyone else who can do it.

Verdugo's statcast numbers show that he's got more fielding range and a better arm, I'm not sure why they wouldn't play him in CF over Judge in an effort to keep the wear and tear off Judge but that's also not our problem :)

Back to Gunnar, I do expect him to be in the MVP conversation for the rest of the season and a top 3 finish would be likely.  

16 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

No they're not and I think putting him in CF is just a response to poor development and roster management on their end.  I don't think they want him to be in CF full time but they simply don't have anyone else who can do it.

Verdugo's statcast numbers show that he's got more fielding range and a better arm, I'm not sure why they wouldn't play him in CF over Judge in an effort to keep the wear and tear off Judge but that's also not our problem :)

Back to Gunnar, I do expect him to be in the MVP conversation for the rest of the season and a top 3 finish would be likely.  

Lock. Him. Up.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

They are prob biding their time on Dominguez.  He will be taking over Centerfield, I bet.  He's starting a rehab soon.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

Lock. Him. Up.

Absolutely.  Cue the "but he's a Boras client" whiners.

Maybe Gunnar saw what Witt Jr. got and wanted to see if he could put together a bigger season and try to get a bigger extension.  Who knows.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Absolutely.  Cue the "but he's a Boras client" whiners.

Maybe Gunnar saw what Witt Jr. got and wanted to see if he could put together a bigger season and try to get a bigger extension.  Who knows.

I hear ya.   In my estimation, though, he's the guy you build the team around.    

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Eh I think it just highlights how good the pitching has been in those losses. If we lose, it's usually because we are facing someone having an extremely good pitching performance - good enough that Gunnar is shut down. 

Except no one else is hitting near as badly in losses especially when you consider how good he is hitting overall.  Anyhow, just an anomaly that I wish I could figure out ahead of time for the purpose of betting.

Currently on pace for 55 HRs, 115 RBI, and 125 runs scored. Those are great numbers obviously, but are we taking full advantage of Gunnar's abilities by batting him leadoff almost every game? I'm sure Eddie Murray and Frank Robinson would have been dynamite at leadoff, but their teams were better off making sure they came up as much as possible with men on base. So far this season Henderson has fewer ABs with men on base than any of the other regulars, which has to have cost us some runs -- and therefor wins -- somewhere along the line. 

With Cowser seemingly out of his funk I'd like to see him batting leadoff more often. He leads the Orioles in walks and OB%, and has enough speed that he'll take the extra bases just like Henderson does. I believe a lineup that looks something like this would score more runs than what we're getting now:

VS RH -- 

Cowser

Adley

Westburg

Henderson

Santander

O'Hearn

Mountcastle

Mullins

Mateo

VS LH -- 

Westburg

Adley

Mountcastle

Henderson

Santander

Hays

Cowser

McCann

Mateo

10 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Currently on pace for 55 HRs, 115 RBI, and 125 runs scored. Those are great numbers obviously, but are we taking full advantage of Gunnar's abilities by batting him leadoff almost every game? I'm sure Eddie Murray and Frank Robinson would have been dynamite at leadoff, but their teams were better off making sure they came up as much as possible with men on base. So far this season Henderson has fewer ABs with men on base than any of the other regulars, which has to have cost us some runs -- and therefor wins -- somewhere along the line. 

With Cowser seemingly out of his funk I'd like to see him batting leadoff more often. He leads the Orioles in walks and OB%, and has enough speed that he'll take the extra bases just like Henderson does. I believe a lineup that looks something like this would score more runs than what we're getting now:

VS RH -- 

Cowser

Adley

Westburg

Henderson

Santander

O'Hearn

Mountcastle

Mullins

Mateo

VS LH -- 

Westburg

Adley

Mountcastle

Henderson

Santander

Hays

Cowser

McCann

Mateo

If Gunnar isn't batting leadoff he should be 2 or 3, at least vs RHP. Get him up as many times as possible and ensure he hits in the first inning.