T. Rowe Price O's new jersey sponsor

spleen1015

"Everyone else is doing it" is not a good reason to do something.  This was an opportunity to stand for something different and we took the easy way out.  I am not holding my breath that this money will be pumped back into the team.  I doubt it's enough to make a meaningful difference anyway.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, deward said:

That was more of a general thought, than an O's specific one. Maryland taxpayers did just donate $600M to renovate the stadium though. Maybe Rubenstein should put the proceeds from this towards defraying that cost to the state. Since he owns the business and all. 

That deal is signed sealed and delivered and is done by the MSA, not Os ownership.

And to many politicians, developers and others all have their hands in that and are already stealing money.

This T Rowe money would be a drop in the bucket and change virtually Nothing anyway.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't think that this is any kind of serious money, either.  Like, not enough to put a dent into what it'll cost to extend Gunnar or Westburg or Adley.

But that begs the question, who really likes this advertising?  Other than the companies that are paying for the patches, obviously...I'm sure the people at T. Rowe Price are high fiving each other right now or something.  I don't think anyone really wants this...and yet, here it is.

I can't imagine it generates any sort of business for them.  I don't think anyone is going to turn on an Orioles game and go "Hey, let me invest with T. Rowe Price."  

It's just tacky and stupid and dumb.  

Agreed on all, and that's what bugs me. It's silly for anyone to think this is going to help them keep players. It's not. There's no way it's enough money to suddenly allow the Orioles to extend Gunnar or whoever. If it was a significantly amount of money that was obviously going to be going into keeping players, then sure, it's tacky and sucks, but I'd rather have a tacky, sucky blue advertising spot on their beautiful black and orange unis then lose Gunnar.

But no way this is enough money to make that difference. Meanwhile the taxpayers who going to drop what, $600 million more into stadium upgrades?

Plus, the optics of this being the first thing that changed under Rubenstein is not good either. 

But I'm sure he'll throw some more hats out and like the Romans who got their bread, they'll cheer their new Caesar. 

Personally, I'm just deeply disappointed in Rubenstein. I mistakenly thought having a billionaire as an owner would stop this Nickle and dime stuff. I was clearly wrong. 

It's not that I thought he was an everyday guy, but I did think this is the exact kind of cheap BS that John Angelos would do but Rubenstein would not allow. Guess a few more piles of cash in the money bath is worth having his fans look at that fugly blue patch that doesn't match the orange and black unis at all.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

He kind of is.  He's not wrong, this is the way that everything is going...which is unfortunate.  It's not NASCAR.

I don't think that this is any kind of serious money, either.  Like, not enough to put a dent into what it'll cost to extend Gunnar or Westburg or Adley.

SG said this stuff doesn't really matter and in the grand scheme of things...he's right about that, too.  But that begs the question, who really likes this advertising?  Other than the companies that are paying for the patches, obviously...I'm sure the people at T. Rowe Price are high fiving each other right now or something.  I don't think anyone really wants this...and yet, here it is.

I can't imagine it generates any sort of business for them.  I don't think anyone is going to turn on an Orioles game and go "Hey, let me invest with T. Rowe Price."  

It's just tacky and stupid and dumb.  

IDK, it's never stopped Emirates Air/Etihad advertisements disguised as soccer jerseys from flying off the shelves.

Maybe it's tacky?  but here we are.

1 hour ago, baltfan said:

There was some talk it was in the works under John.  Peter specifically refused to sell the naming rights. I don't know if he was mentally competent when the opportunity for the patches came around, but I would suspect he would have been against that as well.

Say what you want about Peter Angelos, he did the fans right in keeping the stadium name and unis classy. Maybe if the ad was at least with a black or orange background instead of the abhorrent teal it wouldn't be so bad, but that's just embarrassing. Looking at the others that Malike posted, a few teams at least matched the color scheme. 

So to afford and watch your favorite team now, you have to be inundated with betting ads, have to endure non color matched ads on jerseys, and of course buy ten different streaming services besides our $200+ cable bill. 

Don't forget ads on the back of the mounds, behind home plate, on the fences in some parks and of course the 8th inning walk by Joe's orthopedics, where you too can walk to first base with your brand new $500 orthopedic insoles.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

46 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It would just end up being both.

100%. It's only a matter of time before the Summer's Eve Douche Stadium at Camden will be announced! then people will be like, "At least they kept Camden in there!:" More bread for the masses....

2 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

Tony, are you having a case on the Mondays?

Ha, no! I'm having a case of "Stop messing with my favorite sport's team unis for a few extra dollars!" Like I said, I'm not going to stop watching because of it, but it's fugly and honestly, it's just greedy. 

• Upvote 3

One thing I love about baseball in general is the history, and no team prostitution. Then we got the naming rights lunacy, and we no longer go to Comiskey park, it’s Guaranteed Loss field…oops..Guaranteed RATE. But before that it was US Cellular field. And next season it will be “whoever pays up field”

And now putting advertising on uniforms. It’s tawdry. It’s cheap, and I hate it. And it means not a thing to the day to day operations, nor will it result in a couple extra bucks being offered to anyone. 
Please Lord, let the park’s name remain not for sale.

Edited by HowAbout That

It's hard for me, an old timer, to balance Frobby's OP - "Looking into the dugout at the team we have" - with this crap. I just try to ignor or mute all this money grabbing greed from both the Union and Owners - and focus on the sport and team I love. I hate the partnership with betting and all the in your face advertizements. But, that is where we are in 2024. Can't wait to see THE PATCH on the awful (in my judgement) city connect unis. Old saying - "The clothes make the man." Not any more. Thankfully, they don't make the team.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Too Tall said:

It's hard for me, an old timer, to balance Frobby's OP - "Looking into the dugout at the team we have" - with this crap. I just try to ignor or mute all this money grabbing greed from both the Union and Owners - and focus on the sport and team I love. I hate the partnership with betting and all the in your face advertizements. But, that is where we are in 2024. Can't wait to see THE PATCH on the awful (in my judgement) city connect unis. Old saying - "The clothes make the man." Not any more. Thankfully, they don't make the team.

Actually, that patch absolutely belongs on the city connect jersey, because those are just a money grap to entice fans to buy another jersey, no matter how ugly.

• Upvote 2

I agree with most of what @Tony-OHwrote re greed, except for the part looping in Rubenstein.  I don't see how this is his 'fault' - the deal was underway when he took over, and he's a businessman running a business anyway.  If he had pioneered this idea as the first team to do it, maybe I'd look at it differently.  But at this point is arguably irresponsible to not take a basically free revenue stream, regardless of its size.  Do I love seeing these patches?  No, of course not. 

I'll reserve my vitriol for the owner for if/when he doesn't increase payroll a fairly significant amount.

I absolutely also agree that I would never in a million years buy a jersey to wear w/ this patch on it.  I've never bought one but was actually recently considering it - a buddy bought a Rutschman jersey and I liked the looks of it.  So this would certainly be a deal breaker for me on that tiny front.

Also agree don't really care about the stadium name - or maybe I do care and I'm just bracing myself for the inevitable, depends on which day you ask, LOL.  But for me and I'm sure most people here, it will always be 'Camden Yards'.  Kind of like I still think of the Giants park as Candlestick, even though it isn't even the same stadium.  I'm not even sure what their stadium is called now that I think about it - AT&T Park maybe?

3 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

I agree with most of what @Tony-OHwrote re greed, except for the part looping in Rubenstein.  I don't see how this is his 'fault' - the deal was underway when he took over, and he's a businessman running a business anyway.  If he had pioneered this idea as the first team to do it, maybe I'd look at it differently.  But at this point is arguably irresponsible to not take a basically free revenue stream, regardless of its size.  Do I love seeing these patches?  No, of course not. 

I'll reserve my vitriol for the owner for if/when he doesn't increase payroll a fairly significant amount.

Just be clear, because I don't like this does not mean I'm throwing vitriol towards him. Saying that, he could have blocked this deal or made them change the colors to better match the unis and could have been a hero. Instead, here we are. 

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Just be clear, because I don't like this does not mean I'm throwing vitriol towards him. Saying that, he could have blocked this deal or made them change the colors to better match the unis and could have been a hero. Instead, here we are. 

Sure, I can squint and see your argument, and perhaps my use of the word vitriol was strong, I'd have to re-read your original post to know for sure, LOL.  But yes, he could have blocked it and been an unconventional hero, I'll concede that.