T. Rowe Price O's new jersey sponsor

spleen1015

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

He kind of is.  He's not wrong, this is the way that everything is going...which is unfortunate.  It's not NASCAR.

I don't think that this is any kind of serious money, either.  Like, not enough to put a dent into what it'll cost to extend Gunnar or Westburg or Adley.

SG said this stuff doesn't really matter and in the grand scheme of things...he's right about that, too.  But that begs the question, who really likes this advertising?  Other than the companies that are paying for the patches, obviously...I'm sure the people at T. Rowe Price are high fiving each other right now or something.  I don't think anyone really wants this...and yet, here it is.

I can't imagine it generates any sort of business for them.  I don't think anyone is going to turn on an Orioles game and go "Hey, let me invest with T. Rowe Price."  

It's just tacky and stupid and dumb.  

I hope it is serious money, otherwise it'd be just selling out for pocket change for an owner.

We all knew this was going to happen. Every team will get one eventually. I just wished whoever it was played ball like Motorola did with SD and allowed the logo to be changed to at the least black and white. Orange optional. The fact they obviously insisted with their blue scheme is the only thing that has me roll my eyes. 

4 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

I'm glad the O's at least figured out a circular one. To me the square or other odd-shaped ones look much more out of place. 

Yeah have to admit that. Circular looks much better. Some of these patches look terrible.

4 hours ago, Malike said:

image.png.1c764d3feae4a6580d211191fd24312b.pngimage.png.9ba4396c414c5583884465c5e34aec84.pngimage.png.460c4434917abc39891339e071f36aeb.png

image.png.b489a846e94d6d63af8dec67c2dcaa6c.png

None of these look good at all. Eventually this will lead to patches on the opposite sleeve,  and then something opposite the swoosh and maybe opposite the jersey number and so on.

1 minute ago, jabba72 said:

None of these look good at all. Eventually this will lead to patches on the opposite sleeve,  and then something opposite the swoosh and maybe opposite the jersey number and so on.

They want them on the sleeve on the side of the batter facing the plate. I doubt they'll go both sides, nobody will see it on TV.

43 minutes ago, Malike said:

They want them on the sleeve on the side of the batter facing the plate. I doubt they'll go both sides, nobody will see it on TV.

I don't think that's true. The empty sleeve right now is the one facing the camera where this patch will go. TV is the point, is it not?

50 minutes ago, AdamK said:

I don't think that's true. The empty sleeve right now is the one facing the camera where this patch will go. TV is the point, is it not?

Right, that's what I said, the sleeve of the side of the batter facing the plate, so a LHB facing the plate gets a patch on his right arm, and a RHB facing the plate gets the patch on his left arm.

Switch hitters have to change jerseys each time a pitcher makes them switch sides of the plate.

Edited by Malike

I'm not a fan of making baseball uniforms begin to look like Nascar suits, but I am relieved that our stadium is still named Oriole Park at Candem Yards.

So, over all I count this as a positive. It also provides a little bit more revenue to help pay player salaries.

10 hours ago, jabba72 said:

I don't think they are designed to look good.

Something that we think looks good would mesh and blend into the uniform.  These are designed to be conspicuous.

So some inside baseball on the deal:

- Valued at ~$75 Million over the life of the deal; my source didn't have have the length other than "multi year" but based on what other teams get for the jersey patch and everything else that's coming with it I would think it has a 3-5 year term.

-Includes a ton of stadium signage; you will the Sheep in the dugouts, on the wall behind press conferences, on the outfield wall, on the scoreboard.  Source couldn't confirm my suspicion that they are going where "The Sun" used to be.

-Is a rework of the deal they had with Angelos for stadium naming.  This is all conjecture on my part but with the huge amount of signage and TV visibility that comes with this I can't see them selling the stadium naming.

-TRP employees get a 20% discount and an Orioles hat

• Upvote 2