What are you expecting, or what would you be pleased with for Cade Povich tonight.

He was just so-so in his debut, but had a couple of bad breaks. 5 innings, 5 hits, 6 ER, 4 walks. That walk number MUST improve.He's stuff isnt bad, but he needs to throw strikes early in the at bats.I'm thinking he'll go 4 and a third , 4 runs 5 hits, 3 walks. His opponent, Spencer Schwellenbach was his college teammate at Nebraska,and  is a pretty good strikeout pitcher, but has limited major league experience too...this could be a bullpen game because neither pitcher will last more than 5 innings. I hope our pen isnt taxed. 

I just want to see him eat as many innings as possible. I want to see him land more offspeed pitches for strikes and throw less non-competitive pitches. I'm not really expecting much to be honest, and he's probably getting optioned after the game almost no matter what he does. 

Edited by interloper

I don't know what to think about this ATL lineup, so in turn not sure what to expect from Povich.  That Braves lineup being this bad is just mind boggling to me.  Yes Acuna is gone, but Olson, Riley, Albies, Arcia, Harris, Ozuna (the one who actually is hitting) - those 6 alone should be a better offense than what they've had.  Lowest scoring team in the entire major leagues for an almost two month period now.  That is some weird voodoo or something.

8 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

He was just so-so in his debut, but had a couple of bad breaks. 5 innings, 5 hits, 6 ER, 4 walks. That walk number MUST improve.He's stuff isnt bad, but he needs to throw strikes early in the at bats.I'm thinking he'll go 4 and a third , 4 runs 5 hits, 3 walks. His opponent, Spencer Schwellenbach was his college teammate at Nebraska,and  is a pretty good strikeout pitcher, but has limited major league experience too...this could be a bullpen game because neither pitcher will last more than 5 innings. I hope our pen isn't taxed. 

Just guessing, I'd say he goes 6 IP, 7 hits, 2 BB's, 4 K's and 3 ER.  A quality start in short.  I'll take that or better. :)

Edited by Greg Pappas
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Roy Firestone said:

He was just so-so in his debut, but had a couple of bad breaks. 5 innings, 5 hits, 6 ER, 4 walks. That walk number MUST improve.He's stuff isnt bad, but he needs to throw strikes early in the at bats.I'm thinking he'll go 4 and a third , 4 runs 5 hits, 3 walks. His opponent, Spencer Schwellenbach was his college teammate at Nebraska,and  is a pretty good strikeout pitcher, but has limited major league experience too...this could be a bullpen game because neither pitcher will last more than 5 innings. I hope our pen isnt taxed. 

The walks are what killed his performance in Toronto.    I'm hoping that a slumping Atlanta lineup is just what the doctor ordered for him and the team right now.   Unfortunately, he and Suarez are going back-to-back which is BAD for the bullpen as neither go very deep in games.

I truly hope he can get some better command tonight, but his history shows that control may always be a problem for him.

I want him to outpitch Schwellenbach.  They’re both inexperienced at the major league level, but Povich has far more minor league experience.  So, I expect Povich to put us in position to win the game.  

I'm curious to see the length as long as he doesn't get bombed.

His major league debut exceeding 100 pitches increased my perception Elias sees him in the Jordan Lyles-Kyle Gibson mold.

Albies is one of those switch hitters years long more menacing as a RH bat - like 900-750 lead on career scale.    Walltimore though.