What’s the deal with Brecht?  Even if he fails be a TOR SP, is his floor a high leverage arm?

It seems like it’s all command and developing his secondaries. 

Is this the pitcher that we take a shot on in the first rd?

The bats are no slam dunks either. I’ve been firmly in the take the bats category, but I’m moving more to Brecht here each day. 

The Longenhagen comment is interesting:

“Here begins the three- or four-team cluster of clubs that are really, really good at developing pitchers. Brecht has monster stuff and a huge frame; he’s basically the pitching version of Caglianone in this class. If any of the Orioles, Braves, Dodgers, or Yankees get their hands on him, they might turn him into a monster. “

Longenhagen really likes our pitching development, though Tony points out that the Elias-led O’s haven’t drafted a pitcher who’s reached the majors.   So what does he like?

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

“Here begins the three- or four-team cluster of clubs that are really, really good at developing pitchers. Brecht has monster stuff and a huge frame; he’s basically the pitching version of Caglianone in this class. If any of the Orioles, Braves, Dodgers, or Yankees get their hands on him, they might turn him into a monster. “

Longenhagen really likes our pitching development, though Tony points out that the Elias-led O’s haven’t drafted a pitcher who’s reached the majors.   So what does he like?

Good find. 

I mean if you’re not going to draft Brecht here, when will you ever draft a pitcher?

Why take a chance on a toolsy guy like Honeycutt, when Brecht as a pitcher as an even higher upside?

We see what pitching can do and how expensive it is. It would take 2-3 Honeycutts to trade for a Brecht like arm 5 years from now. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

I don’t know much about the draft and I’ve done a crash course the last few days. How do we pass on this dude if he’s available?

Big dude. Big frame. NCAA pitcher. Command issues, obviously. That’s why he might be there at 22. Gotta take him. The ceiling is too high. Hope he’s there. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

All the pitchers we developed but didn’t draft.

They did develop.

1. Grayson Rodriguez

2. D.L. Hall (ok, ok)

3. Kyle Bradish

4. Dean Kremer (was fastball/curveball)

5. Felix Bautista

6.  Cade Povich

7.  Chayce McDermott

8.  Maybes (Portes/Chace/DeLeon/)

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 1

Kiley McDaniel newest mock has us taking college SS Kaelen Culpepper.

Mentions that we are considered to be the floor with Carson Benge, but he goes to Milwaukee at 17 (who Kiley says is “all over” him).

Also lists Kellon Lindsey, Dakota Jordan, Vance Honeycutt as guys we’ve been “mentioned” with, as well as Brody Brecht. Says we appear to be “shooting for upside.”

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Avoiding TINSTAAPP is still a thing.  We did see increasing interest in the 2023 draft.  Will the upward trend continue into the first 2 picks?  

I'm doubtful but it sounds like the ceiling for Brecht puts him in the conversation if he's there.  Maybe a bit like drafting EBJ where both were outside the mold but checked enough boxes.

I wouldn’t be shocked if one of the first 2 picks is a HS.  (Or if Elias trolls us with a college OFer!)

Hit tool sets the floor.  Nothing happens unless they put the ball in play.  

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

Kiley McDaniel newest mock has us taking college SS Kaelen Culpepper.

Mentions that we are considered to be the floor with Carson Benge, but he goes to Milwaukee at 17 (who Kiley says is “all over” him).

Also lists Kellon Lindsey, Dakota Jordan, Vance Honeycutt as guys we’ve been “mentioned” with, as well as Brody Brecht. Says we appear to be “shooting for upside.”

I think Dakota Jordan would be a consideration at #32.   I like most of these names, even Honeycutt, who’s got huge upside but like Jordan has got huge swing and miss concerns.

From the names mentioned here.

1. Brecht

2. Lindsey

3. Culpepper

4. Benge

5. Honeycutt

6. Jordan

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I think Dakota Jordan would be a consideration at #32.   I like most of these names, even Honeycutt, who’s got huge upside but like Jordan has got huge swing and miss concerns.

From the names mentioned here.

1. Brecht

2. Lindsey

3. Culpepper

4. Benge

5. Honeycutt

6. Jordan

I like all but Benge. Without looking it up I’m pretty sure he had serious split issues. I don’t think you want that in a first round pick.

Just now, Rbiggs2525 said:

I like all but Benge. Without looking it up I’m pretty sure he had serious split issues. I don’t think you want that in a first round pick.

I didn’t know that.  Interesting.

Baseball America’s latest mock, out today, has us taking Vance Honeycutt at #22 and Tommy White at #32.

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I didn’t know that.  Interesting.

Baseball America’s latest mock, out today, has us taking Vance Honeycutt at #22 and Tommy White at #32.

I thought I saw during regionals it was like 400 RHP, 250 LHP. I guess if you think you can teach hitting off lefty’s.

I just had this thought of the Orioles swinging for the fences (pun intended) and winding up with both Vance Honeycutt and Dakota Jordan.  Two huge upside plays with serious bust potential.

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I just had this thought of the Orioles swinging for the fences (pun intended) and winding up with both Vance Honeycutt and Dakota Jordan.  Two huge upside plays with serious bust potential.

Fun message board chatter, but doesn't fit the modern portfolio theory is investing.

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

All the pitchers we developed but didn’t draft.

They did develop.

1. Grayson Rodriguez

2. D.L. Hall (ok, ok)

3. Kyle Bradish

4. Dean Kremer (was fastball/curveball)

5. Felix Bautista

6.  Cade Povich

7.  Chayce McDermott

8.  Maybes (Portes/Chace/DeLeon/)

Hall had great stuff and athleticism, but they could never help him develop decent control or command.  And it's too early to evaluate if they developed Povich or McDermott...both still have serious issues with control/command.  But the development staff deserve a lot of credit for Bautista and Bradish.  Overall, the jury is still out on whether this regime can draft and develop pitchers....bottom line, they need to draft more high upside arms.