Magic Number

vab

1 hour ago, Filmstudy said:

The next win for the Orioles vs the Yankees (if/when) will drop the magic number by 3.

I’m hoping that by then (Games 157-159) the magic number already will be at zero.  😎

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I’m speaking for the critics, not myself. 
    • To be a bit less scientific for a moment, I had a bad feeling at the time about that Sunday Night Baseball game where our kids were the toast of the town. And it was all Lego shoes and headsets in the field and modeling dusters for the ASG voting and cool-guy interviews in the stands. Just felt like one of those moments that could be tough for a young kid to really process, where you’re making the jump from “local star” to “national superstar.” Here’s how it’s broken down for our two superstars before and after that game (6/30). Gunnar Before: .292/.388/.612/1.000, 179 wRC+, 5.4 fWAR (9 errors) Gunnar After: .274/.336/.406/.742, 113 wRC+, 0.6 fWAR (9 errors) Adley Before: .298/.354/.476/.830, 135 wRC+, 2.9 fWAR Adley After: .119/.237/.202/.439, 31 wRC+, -0.4 fWAR I guess also interestingly, both Westburg (2.5 fWAR prior and 0.3 fWAR after) and Mountcastle (118 wRC+ prior and 88 wRC+ after) also pretty much fell apart right around that date.    I’m sure everyone has their own idea in their head of what started this recent collapse for our star players. Maybe it’s fatigue, maybe it was all the All-Star game stuff, maybe it was clubhouse discomfort, maybe it’s just the league adjusting, maybe it’s just normal regression to the mean. As with most things, it’s probably some combination of a lot of different factors. But I sure can’t shake the feeling that it isn’t a coincidence that both of these guys were flying as high as you can fly coming into that Sunday night game (Gunnar had a 1.305 OPS in his prior 10 games and Adley was at .969) — and since that day, it’s pretty much been absolutely disastrous.
    • Interesting debate,  People (and advanced metrics) completel6 downplay the value of HR's and RBI's I think he will be very difficult to replace, and with our projected rotation for next year we will need a top 5 offense.
    • Maybe they did it just to tweak @Roy Firestonefor day.   That must have been good for a laugh!
    • I just don't understand why they traded for Jimenez/Slater/Soto at all.. why not just bring up Mayo on Tues.. Elias has some weird roster habits.. thinking back to 1 week or Tony Kemp for example.. why? They could have just put Holiday on the OD roster. 1-2 weeks in AAA made no difference. 2-3 days of Mayo in AAA made no difference. Just weird.. but glad he's coming.
    • I think the "career year" talk is pretty silly. If he was having the exact same year this year he'd had the last two, the conversation wouldn't be any different in terms of dollars and years. The contract he will be offered will be based on his entire body of work, not just what he's done this year, which while technically a career year, is not out of line with his prior production.  
    • It worked great when pitchers weren't as aware of what he was doing.  I don't have the numbers readily available right now, but I have seen them, and for a while, he was doing significantly better taking 0-0 rather than swinging at it. The problem is that everyone has now noticed that he was taking 0-0 far too often, and they've adjusted by just getting 0-0 over and putting him in 0-1 (and often after the second pitch being fouled off, 0-2) holes.  His recent results reflect this. It's very much a similar scenario to if you're playing in a poker tournament.  You can play conservatively, and only enter pots with the strongest starting hands dealt to you, but if players notice that you're doing that all the time (via you only showing down strong starting hands, and your low playing frequency, as strong hands are dealt less often), they won't tangle with you when you enter pots, and the pots you take down will be tiny.  You'll get whittled out of the tournament.  The opposite is also true, you can play aggressively, frequently going after pots with whatever starting hands you get, but after a while, everyone will notice you're playing weak hands, and they'll just wait til they get stronger hands and beat you down.  The best players will do both a good percentage of the time, regardless of their preferred play style.  They'll play aggressively for a while, but then quietly switch over to conservative play... then vice versa.  They are going to showdown with a wide array of hands, their play has many different apparent patterns in real time... and no one is able to tell what they're actually doing at any given moment. And so it goes for Adley.  He's going to need to adjust back, and start swinging at a good percentage of these get-me-over 0-0 pitches he's been getting from these adjusted pitchers.  He's been sitting conservative for far too long without varying his play.  He's got to go aggressive a higher percentage of the time for a while, so that opposing pitchers don't know what he's going to do. 
  • Popular Contributors