What year did you see the O's in person?

Satyr3206

First live game was in 1983 vs. Philly in the WS. Dad is a big Philly fan and I was an O's fan mainly because my peewee baseball team was named the Orioles. I was 10 and my Dad won the tickets at his job. Went a few dozen times after that until I moved to Texas.

Here's the bad luck story of this thread. Been in Texas for 15 years and go to at least one O's/Rangers game every year. In that time, Baltimore is 2-17 in the games I've attended in Texas. Including April 19, 1996. I recall the game getting off to a good start when Brady Anderson hit a leadoff HR...but when the game ended and the Rangers had won 26-7...it wasnt so great.

Another that sticks out is July 26, 2001. Rip's "farewell game" in Texas. The Rangers presented him with gifts in a pre-game festivity and Ripken hit a HR in the game. it was a nice way to spend the last time I'd ever get to see Cal play in person again. But as usual...the O's lost. 9-7

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1986 at Memorial Stadium vs the White Sox. The only things I really remember is the game was started by the legendary Ken Dixon. The Orioles executed a perfect hit and run (yes, Earl did play small ball sometimes), my all-time favorite Oriole Eddie Murray was on the DL for the first time in his career and there was a brawl. Nate Snell (another Oriole legend) hit somebody and all hell broke loose. It was only about a week and half later that the Orioles lost that crazy 13-11 game to Texas and tanked the rest of that season and the vast majority of the seasons since then.

First game May 25 1969 against the Oakland A's.

It was Bat Day giveaway. I remember Brooks hitting a HR.

The O's won as they always did in those days.

First WS was game 2 against the miracle Mets. O's lost 2-1 against Koosman.

I remember Mets fans chanting in our stadium.

First playoff ALCS game was 1971. Only thing i remember about it was Vida Blue blowing 300 MPH fastballs past Frank Robinson. Amazing thing to see.

Not sure. Either '58 or '59, age 5 or 6. I'm surprised that I don't know.

I'm guessing '58. I'll ask my Dad, he's probably got it in an old diary.

I don't remember beans about it except for 2 things:

1. Walking up the tunnel from the concourse and seeing the wonder of the green field and the diamond unfold through the doorway. Magic.

2. My Dad pointing at one of player and making a big deal about about how I should remember him. The unusual thing about it was that it wasn't an Oriole he was making a big deal about. It was Ted Williams.

May 9, 1954, against the Cleveland Indians. I was 11 years old. Bob Turley pitched and the Orioles won. Either my Dad or my grandfather (don't remember which) got a foul ball and after the game we got Turley to autograph it. I still have the ball and the game tickets.

May 9, 1954, against the Cleveland Indians. I was 11 years old. Bob Turley pitched and the Orioles won. Either my Dad or my grandfather (don't remember which) got a foul ball and after the game we got Turley to autograph it. I still have the ball and the game tickets.

AWWWWWW

That is very sweet!:)

1981. I was 3, nearing 4. It was a Westinghouse night, and my grandfather, as a former employee, still had the privliges. I barely remember it, but I do remember parts of it. I remember Ed-die chants. I remember being scared of the angle in the upper decks. I remember the smells.

I hope you come to MANY more O games!!!!:):clap3::wedge::2yay-thumb:

I used to go to a lot more Mariners games, since they play the Rangers more, plus they played once in Houston. In 2007, I went to 21.

It was a day game in 1987 against either Toronto or Texas. The only thing I remember is that it was really hot, so I believe it was likely August 9 against Texas rather than June 14 against Toronto. Yes, I actually just looked up the weather on those two days. :ohlord:

I know it was hot because, being 5 years old, I asked why my grandfather's box seats (behind 1B about halfway up) did not have air conditioning.

Apparently I invented luxury boxes at the age of 5. ;)

1981. I was 3, nearing 4. It was a Westinghouse night, and my grandfather, as a former employee, still had the privliges. I barely remember it, but I do remember parts of it. I remember Ed-die chants. I remember being scared of the angle in the upper decks. I remember the smells.

It's crazy, but I still think I can smell the cigarettes, Natty Boh, and hot dogs from Memorial Stadium.

Archived