Rays to slash 2011 Payroll

Can_of_corn

http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/comments/sternberg-payroll-to-go-down-after-this-season/

Rays owner Stuart Sternberg was a guest Monday night on the Rays weekly Hot Stove Show (WDAE 620 am) and told hosts Andy Freed and Dave Wills that Rays fans can expect a reduced payroll after this season.

“It won’t be 70 (million) and it won’t be 60 (million),” he said.

I know they have a deep farm system but I find it hard to believe that they can drop payroll under 60 million and still be competitive.

I will also say that I find it hard to believe that even with that dump of a stadium that they can't afford a 70 million payroll.

MLB needs to either contract the Rays or force the owners to sell to somebody else who will move the team to NJ or CT.

It's absolutely ridiculous that with that talent on the team and the fanbase that is starting to grow, that they are going to slash costs that much.

With a statement like that, the Rays could be the next to go under a microscope by the players' union.

It's absolutely ridiculous that with that talent on the team and the fanbase that is starting to grow, that they are going to slash costs that much.

In ownership's defense the fanbase down here is very poor. Most folks that live in the area come from other parts of the country and mostly root for their old teams.

If you look at the Bucs, the Rays and the Lightning it will become clear, IF a team is winning they will come out, the second they start to lose it is like ripples in a pool after you toss in a pebble, they just melt away.

More evidence that baseball's financial structure is whacky and needs to be fixed pronto.

In ownership's defense the fanbase down here is very poor. Most folks that live in the area come from other parts of the country and mostly root for their old teams.

This makes sense because of retirees I suppose. It's likely the a big part of the population pulls for the Rays rivals in the AL East so they're kinda screwed. Do they get invaded by swarms of Red Sox and Yankees fans like the O's?

MLB needs to either contract the Rays or force the owners to sell to somebody else who will move the team to NJ or CT.

With a statement like that, the Rays could be the next to go under a microscope by the players' union.

If they do I hope MacPhail can make some "Expo" type trades.

Do they get invaded by swarms of Red Sox and Yankees fans like the O's?

Not invaded no, I have not heard of many folks actually taking the trip down to catch a series.

What does happen is that they take off their Rays hat for a three game series on put on their Yankee/Red Sox hats.

You get a lot of I am a Yankee/Red Sox/Mets/Braves fan but I like the Rays too.

Your statement implies that the ownership is refusing to consider moving the team, but that MLB would like to see a move happen. Have any evidence at all to back that up?

Might interest the locals to know about it. Especially the locals who are working with the team behind the scenes to buy up land in Tampa near the Forum.

It is really amusing watching you go off the deep end without actually knowing what you are talking about.

At the end of 2010, the Rays shed the contracts of Pena ($10.125M), Crawford ($10M), Burrell ($9M), and Soriano ($7.25M). Not to mention, they could decline to offer arbitration to Navarro ($2.1M). So all in all, they have at least $40M coming off the books at the end of 2010.

It is really amusing watching you go off the deep end without actually knowing what you are talking about.

At the end of 2010, the Rays shed the contracts of Pena ($10.125M), Crawford ($10M), Burrell ($9M), and Soriano ($7.25M). Not to mention, they could decline to offer arbitration to Navarro ($2.1M). So all in all, they have at least $40M coming off the books at the end of 2010.

They have Jennings to replace Crawford, but who replaces Pena?

And how do they keep Garza and Shields?

I know they have Davis and others to pitch, but there is a gap in their positional talent.

I know they have Davis and others to pitch, but there is a gap in their positional talent.

Beckham, Brignac, and Sean Rodriguez will man the middle...

I think they'll keep Garza..let Shields go...and work with Price, Davis, Hellickson, and Niemann

Your statement implies that the ownership is refusing to consider moving the team, but that MLB would like to see a move happen. Have any evidence at all to back that up?

Might interest the locals to know about it. Especially the locals who are working with the team behind the scenes to buy up land in Tampa near the Forum.

There were two articles in the Tampa Trib yesterday about the "interest" in moving the Rays elsewehere within the Tampa area. There is a study that shows I believe four possible move locations: three in Hillsborough County(one as mentioned above is in down town Tampa) and one in St Pete County. Most of the "groups" mentioned in the article are private interest groups and no mention is made of how each group is funded and what their exact plans are.

One of the more controversial comes from some one on the Hillsborough County (the county that Tampa is in) Commission which basically puts him at odds with the St Pete County (the location of Tropicana Field). This seemed to spark the most interest and I guess they were trying to say this was one mans idea and it wasn't a "conflict" between two neighboring counties (the paper made mention that Rays have a lease with the county on the Trop till 2027).

When the reporter contacted the Rays for their take on all this, they merely stated they would not comment on "speculation."

Not invaded no, I have not heard of many folks actually taking the trip down to catch a series.

What does happen is that they take off their Rays hat for a three game series on put on their Yankee/Red Sox hats.

You get a lot of I am a Yankee/Red Sox/Mets/Braves fan but I like the Rays too.

I went with a friend of mine who is a die hard BoSox fan to a game at the Trop (this is prior to the 08 season) and I have been to a game at Camden Yards when the BoSox come to town and I would say that it was about the same.

Honestly, I don't think this area is any different from most of the other smaller market teams when a big market team shows up to play. You are going to get a mix of fans that travel and locals that support the big market team and maybe a smattering of non-"fans" that just want to see a game cause the big market team is there.

If the Rays aren't planning on retaining Crawford, Pena, or Soriano, they could look to trade them at the deadline this year and attain pieces to help them stay in contention.

The Rays will still have close to $20M to play with next year, though most will go into their arbitration eligible players.

Archived