PG Mock Draft

Since it seems A.) we have no bona fide minor league position prospects or B.) the few we have are "athletes first"....I would love to get a guy the caliber of Machado in the system.

I would not classify our system as bereft of positional talent, but certainly weak. It's still early in the season, and prospects like Bell, Snyder, Florimon, Hoes, Avery, Joseph, and a few others, will let us know as the season progresses- just where we stand.

I agree that Machado would be a good addition to our system, and even if the O's surprise a few of us and go college position player -like Zack Cox or Christian Colon- we would be bringing in high-end talent. Naturally, talent can and is had in other rounds outside of the first, but wherever we select them, we absolutely need an influx of positional talent. Pending who is still on the board when our pick comes up at #3, we may just add a very good one.

I would not classify our system as bereft of positional talent, but certainly weak. It's still early in the season, and prospects like Bell, Snyder, Florimon, Hoes, Avery, Joseph, and a few others, will let us know as the season progresses- just where we stand.

I agree that Machado would be a good addition to our system, and even if the O's surprise a few of us and go college position player -like Zach Cox or Christian Colon- we would be bringing in high-end talent. Naturally, talent can and is had in other rounds outside of the first, but wherever we select them, we absolutely need an influx of positional talent. Pending who is still on the board when our pick comes up at #3, we may just add a very good one.

Greg, how would you feel about it if the O's drafted Christian Colon in the first round. Is he worthy of being the #3 pick of the first round? He is obviously a position of need and no doubt more polished, i.e closer to ML ready, than a HS SS like Machado. Also, it would have to be easier to project a college player being able to stick at ss. I don't know much about Machado, but Colon appears to be a good one. Penny for your thoughts?

Greg, how would you feel about it if the O's drafted Christian Colon in the first round. Is he worthy of being the #3 pick of the first round? He is obviously a position of need and no doubt more polished, i.e closer to ML ready, than a HS SS like Machado. Also, it would have to be easier to project a college player being able to stick at ss. I don't know much about Machado, but Colon appears to be a good one. Penny for your thoughts?

Good questions...

I would be disappointed, but would likely get over it in short order. Colon should have every chance to be a pro shortstop, as he is a good hitter and a very good defender there. The only real knock on Colon is merely adequate range. A team may move him to second, where he profiles quite well. Regardless of which middle-infield spot he settles at, we would be pleased to have him pushing his way to Camden Yards.

The question of whether Colon's overall skill-set translates to being worth the third pick in the draft is valid. His upside is lower than Machado's, but as you alluded to, collegians are easier to project. Colon would be a safer pick, but then again, there are other players who are higher rated. Joe Jordan's draft board is settling more and more every day, and come draft day he'll have about a half-dozen serious candidates to choose from at pick three.

Personally I think Colon is around the tenth best talent.

Is Colon the best position prospect or is it Cox or Brentz? What's the upside of each of those?

I would say it's Cox/Colon/Brentz. If you believe Colon is good enough to stay at SS and that Cox will have average power at best, I could see Colon jumping in front of Colon. Personally, I like Cox better.

I would say Cox has the most upside. I think Brentz might have more upside than Colon, too. I think a big part of what makes Colon such a good prospect is his high floor. Cox's floor is pretty high, too.

I had the pleasure to meet Joe Jordan several times last year. He works hard at trying to know the family and the players as a person. I think this adds to his judgment.I was very impressed with him and his organization. They are good people looking for good people that are also great ball players. Draft is in good hands with Jordan.

Is Colon the best position prospect or is it Cox or Brentz? What's the upside of each of those?

Harper>>>>>Colon>>Castellanos>>>Machado>Cox>Brentz>Y. Cabrera.

The > doesn't do it justice the gap between them though. For me Colon is still a stretch at #3, Machado MAYBE into the top 10(position bonus), Castellanos 10-15, Cox 15-20, and Brentz 20-30.

Just toooooo much pitching depth.

Archived