SI AL East Hot Stove Report

Hooded Viper

I searched for this and couldn't find it so here you go. Joe Sheehan has a writeup about the AL East's offseason priorities etc. Pretty much one of the worst I have ready:

If the Orioles can't land Greinke -- who, given the market, could get up to Cole Hamels' six-year, $144 million contract -- they should stay out of the secondary pitching market and instead look to improve a team OBP that hindered the offense last season. With the caveat that price and deal length matter, they could use Nick Swisher in leftfield, Kevin Youkilis at third base (with Manny Machado, somewhat overmatched, starting the year at Triple-A) or perhaps Marco Scutaro at second base.

Bottom Line: The Orioles have to not buy into the hype. They weren't a 93-win team, but rather, a .500 team that got a bit lucky. Their focus has to be not on 2013, when they're likely to regress back below par, but on 2014 and beyond. Adding Greinke while not burning cash on middling starters, and taking shots to improve the offense, are workable plans.

If the Orioles can't land Greinke -- who, given the market, could get up to Cole Hamels' six-year, $144 million contract -- they should stay out of the secondary pitching market and instead look to improve a team OBP that hindered the offense last season. With the caveat that price and deal length matter, they could use Nick Swisher in leftfield, Kevin Youkilis at third base (with Manny Machado, somewhat overmatched, starting the year at Triple-A) or perhaps Marco Scutaro at second base.

Bottom Line: The Orioles have to not buy into the hype. They weren't a 93-win team, but rather, a .500 team that got a bit lucky. Their focus has to be not on 2013, when they're likely to regress back below par, but on 2014 and beyond. Adding Greinke while not burning cash on middling starters, and taking shots to improve the offense, are workable plans.

I mean are you freakin kidding me with that bolded item about Machado? How do these guys retain their jobs and who the hell are their editors?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/joe_sheehan/11/02/al-east-hot-stove-preview-yankees-orioles-rays-blue-jays-red-sox/?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t12_a0

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I searched for this and couldn't find it so here you go. Joe Sheehan has a writeup about the AL East's offseason priorities etc. Pretty much one of the worst I have ready:

I mean are you freakin kidding me with that bolded item about Machado? How do these guys retain their jobs and who the hell are their editors?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/joe_sheehan/11/02/al-east-hot-stove-preview-yankees-orioles-rays-blue-jays-red-sox/?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t12_a0

I find the idea that the O's would even seriously consider Greinke much lazier.

BTW Manny did look overmatched at times, but that doesn't mean he needs to go to Norfolk.

That's sorta, kinda defensible if you hadn't actually watched the O's and were just kind of skimming over things from a 10,000 ft level. Manny did have a .294 OBP, after all. But he also slugged .450 in his age-19 season while playing at a 4.5-win pace. It would be odd (to say the least) to send him back to AAA to play a 34-year-old coming off a league-average year, and will be asking for a fairly substantial contract.

I haven't followed Sheehan much since he left BP, but he was always more of a storyteller than a real analyst. So I wouldn't take any of this too seriously.

Absolutely absurd.

Offensively, Machado was not the be-all, end-all of third basemen. He really wasn't. As a complete package, he was a great addition to the team, and as a 19 year old, he was spectacular. But his OBP last season was in line with Kevin Kouzmanoff's typical season. If the Orioles had an excellent infield, I'd be fine starting Machado at AAA to start the season.

Obviously, they don't, and he'll be the OD 3B, play great defense, get progressively better at hitting, and I'll be thrilled. But it's not ridiculous to say that Manny has room for improvement.

Offensively, Machado was not the be-all, end-all of third basemen. He really wasn't. As a complete package, he was a great addition to the team, and as a 19 year old, he was spectacular. But his OBP last season was in line with Kevin Kouzmanoff's typical season. If the Orioles had an excellent infield, I'd be fine starting Machado at AAA to start the season.

Obviously, they don't, and he'll be the OD 3B, play great defense, get progressively better at hitting, and I'll be thrilled. But it's not ridiculous to say that Manny has room for improvement.

Right, but I think it is pretty silly, after watching Manny make adjustments, to say that the O's should send him to Norfolk. Even worse to advocate signing Youk to man third base until he is "ready".

Right, but I think it is pretty silly, after watching Manny make adjustments, to say that the O's should send him to Norfolk. Even worse to advocate signing Youk to man third base until he is "ready".

And this was really my thinking. The kid needs to make adjustments but sending him to AAA, barring a trade for someone like Wright or Headley, and signing a Youklis is just lazy writing, imo.

I don't think you'll find anyone who thinks that Manny was perfect this past season. Indeed, there were times he looked overmatched, at the plate specifically. However, the guy was 20 years old. Between that and being a rookie, of course he's going to look overmatched at times. Beyond that though, if you actually look at the numbers, and the fact he was playing a position he was unfamiliar with on a team in the thick of a pennant race, there's no way you can't come away impressed and satisfied.

I don't think you'll find anyone who thinks that Manny was perfect this past season. Indeed, there were times he looked overmatched, at the plate specifically. However, the guy was 20 years old. Between that and being a rookie, of course he's going to look overmatched at times. Beyond that though, if you actually look at the numbers, and the fact he was playing a position he was unfamiliar with on a team in the thick of a pennant race, there's no way you can't come away impressed and satisfied.

Frankly, "overmatched" isn't the word I'd use. That implies that he is easily fooled or can't hit a good major league pitch, and I didn't see either of those things from Machado. His OPS was exactly average for an AL 3B, and if his OBP was lower than I'd like, that is something for him to work on, not a sign that he was "overmatched," IMO. Was JJ Hardy "overmatched?"

Frankly, "overmatched" isn't the word I'd use. That implies that he is easily fooled or can't hit a good major league pitch, and I didn't see either of those things from Machado. His OPS was exactly average for an AL 3B, and if his OBP was lower than I'd like, that is something for him to work on, not a sign that he was "overmatched," IMO. Was JJ Hardy "overmatched?"

Yes, I'd argue that he looked like he was. Anyone with a sub .300 OBP is pretty overmatched in my book.

Archived